Community
Wiki Posts
Search

foam tire help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

Default foam tire help please

hi guys, our track decided that they want to try out running foams instead on rubber tires this year and i need some help picking a tire.

the track is a sealed parking lot, although the sealer is wearing off after a few years. we've starting using grape soda to help bring the traction up. this is my first year running the nitro class after a few years away from it so i'm not 100% sure what tires and inserts the guys are using, i think a couple were using the hpi ad vanties or whatever they are called, inserts, i'm not sure. others were using sorex 36 and 40's. being that the weather is still kinda cool and track temp shouldn't be above 70 or 80 for the first couple of weekends what would guys recommend. i have access to yok tires and the new GQ tire if that helps, i just don't understand the shore ratings and colors' i.e. a pink would be what a 32, maybe 35? thanks again,
Old 03-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

The GQ`s should have the shore rating written on a sticker on top of the box.
Cheers
Old 03-05-2005, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

maybe i didn't explain it very well,

if your using a sorex 36 rubber tire

this would equal a what in a foam tire?

a 35 shore rating equals what in the color ratings
Old 03-05-2005, 07:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Both yokomo (nitro tires) and GQ use numbers for the shore rating.

If its still kinda cool then I would say go with 35 rears and 40 fronts. We found this works best.

The Yokomo tires feel a little harder and wear rate is not as high. I would say the Yokomo tires are better all round than the GQ in cool conditions and pretty even in hot temps.

Im not sure what the shore ratings would be for the colours as i have not used them in a long time. On top of that each manufacture has a different colour for different shores most of the time.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

thanks for the info.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i would recommend trying out 40 shore all round...then from there you can dial in better....
Old 04-02-2005, 02:09 AM
Tech Adept

Default Re: foam tire help please

Originally posted by Turtlemaster
hi guys, our track decided that they want to try out running foams instead on rubber tires this year and i need some help picking a tire.

the track is a sealed parking lot, although the sealer is wearing off after a few years. we've starting using grape soda to help bring the traction up. this is my first year running the nitro class after a few years away from it so i'm not 100% sure what tires and inserts the guys are using, i think a couple were using the hpi ad vanties or whatever they are called, inserts, i'm not sure. others were using sorex 36 and 40's. being that the weather is still kinda cool and track temp shouldn't be above 70 or 80 for the first couple of weekends what would guys recommend. i have access to yok tires and the new GQ tire if that helps, i just don't understand the shore ratings and colors' i.e. a pink would be what a 32, maybe 35? thanks again,
Twister Tires offer shore ratings 35,37,40 & 42's.
37's or 40's is a good start for a medium bite track.

Thanks
www.twistertires.com