R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   What's needed for 1/8 onroad cars (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/646944-whats-needed-1-8-onroad-cars.html)

Mliebs 07-18-2012 08:57 AM

What's needed for 1/8 onroad cars

I'm currently getting into the 1/8 GT cars and have everything I need but I want to buy a Serpent 966 or Mugen MRX5 and wanted to know what I would need (besides the car) to get going. Do you need a setup station and tire truer (I'm not sure that's even a word)? Do these cars require anything else?

Winner's Circle 07-18-2012 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mliebs (Post 10988418)
I'm currently getting into the 1/8 GT cars and have everything I need but I want to buy a Serpent 966 or Mugen MRX5 and wanted to know what I would need (besides the car) to get going. Do you need a setup station and tire truer (I'm not sure that's even a word)? Do these cars require anything else?

You will also need;
servos
transmitter
starter box
engine
pipe
receiver
tires
body
set-up tools = ride height gauge + set-up station to check camber and toe
tire truer at some point

Lee

JLock 07-18-2012 10:18 AM

Lee,

Don't forget about calipers to measure the diameter size of the tires before/after truing. But, you pretty much hit the majority of it on the head.:nod:

YR4Dude 07-18-2012 10:36 AM

Most 1/8 tires are already pre-trued with the front and rear already with a 7mm split. I ran my tires straight out of the box without any problems. You can always find someone at the track with a truer if need be.

Keep in mind, 1/8 onroad engines are not the same as the buggy based engines used in 1/8GT. The onroad engines rev much higher. For that kind of performance, the engines are much pricier than the .26 or .28 engines in 1/8GT.

Lastly, the setup station is a must. However, the setup station used for a 1/8GT can not be used on a 1/8 onroad. If you shop around, there is only two brands available; Hudy and Team Magic. When you do find one, make sure it is of the correct hub offset that fits your car because there are some that only work on the older cars and not the newer cars. The example I am talking about is one that fits the older Serpent 960 vs. one that fits the newer Serpent 966.

One more thing. Tires and wheels that fit the Mugen, Kyosho (Jap) do not fit the Serpent, Shepherd, Capricorn, Motonica (Euro). Make sure you don't buy the wrong tires and wheels for the car you plan on using.

hitcharide1 07-18-2012 11:12 AM

My two cents worth

First, take whatever I say with a grain of salt since I'm getting a distributorship. I'm not doing it to make any money, I'm more concerned with helping people save a buck when stuff is so expensive. I spent the better part of last winter looking at all the different cars, prices, layout, and so forth, and while I wanted back into racing, I didn't want to lay out a fortune doing it.

Serpent and Mugen are proven cars and top notch. The absolute best product I've seen out there thus far is Capricorn, and what I hear of it is it's really hot straight out of the box. But the Edam I'm running is similar in build to Mugen/Sheperd/Serpent (aren't they all) and I get kits for under 300 bucks, parts are equally cheap.

I'm also running S&H engines....lots cheaper but tons of get up and go.

Getting back into racing and helping a few friends of mine get into it has been a busy challenge, I'm not as far along as I'd like but the GLC will be my proving ground to see if racing can be had economically. I'd say if you have the cash and can afford top of the line, go for it, but the package I'm running, I've got less than 1000 in it, and that's everything from car to engine, radio, tires, spares, fuel, plugs, bump box...you name it.

Final thought...I guess there is one advantage to all the cars being so similar, lots of parts interchange so if there is someone at the track with lots of parts on hand that can hook you up, it's not as necessary to have as much crap on hand yourself. I was short on clutch discs at a race, but Dennis Young was at the track and had discs for a Sheperd which were a perfect fit. I expect it's that way with a lot of them.....

Best of luck to you, hope whichever way you go you have fun!

Mliebs 07-18-2012 12:34 PM

Thats alot of good information, thanks for the help.

wingracer 07-18-2012 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by YR4Dude (Post 10988801)

One more thing. Tires and wheels that fit the Mugen, Kyosho (Jap) do not fit the Serpent, Shepherd, Capricorn, Motonica (Euro). Make sure you don't buy the wrong tires and wheels for the car you plan on using.

Uh, yes they do. Pretty much everyone has gone to the Mugen/Kyosho offset now so unless you find some old Picco or OS1 Serpent tires, they will all fit. I run Shepherd and haven't found a tire that doesn't fit it yet. Only difference is that GRPs are a bit narrower in the rear, Jacos a bit wider.

If you are running on a long track, add lots of cold glow plugs to the list.

Victor Vector 07-18-2012 01:27 PM

I spotted the chap's looking at GT 1/8th scale, so the message should maybe shift to that pitch.

There are 4 cars to look over: Serpent Cobra GT, Ofna DM1, Kyosho GT and C Cars. All are off road buggy based, that have been converted proffessionally with 2 speed trannies and shorter shocks etc. They run on rubber tyres so you wouldn't need a truer. Ofna makes a RTR set up, the rest you have to build needing body, motor, radio equipment, tyres and a starter box.

They are a bit slower than ball to the wall 1/8th scale but are every bit as thrilling...............

Happy trails,

Jacko

Mliebs 07-18-2012 01:41 PM

I should have clairified that. I currently have a Kyosho GT2 and want to get into the 966 style cars also.

Originally Posted by Victor Vector (Post 10989425)
I spotted the chap's looking at GT 1/8th scale, so the message should maybe shift to that pitch.

There are 4 cars to look over: Serpent Cobra GT, Ofna DM1, Kyosho GT and C Cars. All are off road buggy based, that have been converted proffessionally with 2 speed trannies and shorter shocks etc. They run on rubber tyres so you wouldn't need a truer. Ofna makes a RTR set up, the rest you have to build needing body, motor, radio equipment, tyres and a starter box.

They are a bit slower than ball to the wall 1/8th scale but are every bit as thrilling...............

Happy trails,

Jacko

YR4Dude 07-18-2012 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mliebs (Post 10989462)
I should have clairified that. I currently have a Kyosho GT2 and want to get into the 966 style cars also.

Thats a big jump. Unlike 1/8GT, there's more tuning involved especially the clutch since its adjustable. (1/8GT are not allowed to have adjustable clutches).

You should look into the Michael Salven videos on Youtube. He goes through every step in assembling and setting up a Serpent 966 but you can use the basic principles to setup any 1/8 onroad from that video as well.

Here's the first video for you to start with. You can link with the rest the of videos from there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjecR...2EA2BA9FB86F79

nitrodude 07-18-2012 04:01 PM

Theres no ”serpent wheels” anymore, all cars use OS2 offset, so all wheels fit all cars.

JamesHealey 07-19-2012 04:33 PM

Battery Charger
Glow Plug Ignitor
Camber Gauge (useful even if u have a setup station)
Various Shock Oils
One-Way Diff Lube
Grease for thrust bearing
Oil for dog bones and bearings
Spare A-Arms and Uprights
Spare Spur gears
Digital Calipers
Full set of Hex wrenches
After Run Oil
Spare Glow Plugs
New Con-Rod (After you've done the break in procedure)