R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Collari Xs12! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/6428-collari-xs12.html)

hooked_on 07-13-2002 02:24 AM

Collari Xs12!

What is everyone feelings on the L.Collari XS12 compared to either a MT12, RS12, JP Black, Or a RB X12? Look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Cheers,

H-O

stefan 07-13-2002 05:27 AM

I just broke in my new XS12. After seeing that a lot of people had problems tuning them, I followed motorman's advise and put a Mugen MT12 carb on mine.
The engine seems to run great so far, has good torque, but I will know more after tomorrows race.

RAP66 07-13-2002 09:05 AM

Well I started our race season with one... and I FINALLY found the SCHWEET spot for the carb... the engine has a load of bottom end, but I found that if you ise with a Paris Ring pipe the engine lacks top end... I am now using an RDLogics pipe and that helped quite a bit.

Run time is awesome... just toying around I got over 10minutes to the tank... (I have a bit more fuel lin than the average joe)

You do have to be VERY deliberate with the carb settings, my engine likes to be a hair over lean on the bottom, and the top I'm approx 4 turns out, anything other than that the motor runs like a cow. I am also running 30% nitro, so I ahd to also add another .3mm head shim & run a cold plug (MC9)..... My friends engine likes to run the factory settings on the carb and standard plug :eek:

So as you can see be sure to take your time with it, you wont be disappointed!

Rich

hooked_on 07-13-2002 09:48 PM

What engine are these motors based on? Is it the Rb X12 or the Picco? Also i have heard that if they are based on the Picco's there may be some quality control issues?

I guess i really want to know how they compare to either a MT12 or a RS12????

RAP66 07-15-2002 12:11 AM

they are essentially Picco motors...

stefan 07-15-2002 03:48 AM

Ok, I ran mine this weekend and it's absolutely ballistic.
Comparable to a RBx12 5 port (my XS 12 is standard 3 port)

Love it, Mugen carb made it a breeze to get it tuned

Test Driver 07-15-2002 04:04 AM

A 3-port TQ'd and won the A main at the MECA series at Mingara Aust. yesterday. Think he is running a standard Neo pipe on it. gives him mega revs.

hooked_on 07-15-2002 04:04 AM

Which version of the motor do you have and how does it compare to others?

Test Driver 07-15-2002 04:14 AM

personally I don't have a collari, but the one that won was an XS 12 standard 3 port. Not bad when there were no restrictions on what 12 motor you could run.

kickass 07-18-2002 08:26 AM

Hey guys, actually I TQD and won with a out of the box xs 12 5 port on the weekend. Youll find that probably the top 5 all had 5 ports, mine been the only Collari, and clearly one of the quickest engines. At $420 retail AUS, a bargain. Comparing it to my 3 port($350), it has some serious sting out of the corners, top end is also balistic. Both of my Collaris i run standard carbies and have no tuning problems. the tuning is quite sensative compared to novarossi carbs(especially the 5 port) so just a little at a time and no probs.
My pipe is an old PB pipe which I use to run in my BMT, but the NEO kit pipe works well.

mobyracing 07-19-2002 07:17 PM

you can drill a small hole in the thickest part of the clutch shoe about 3/4 through and that will make the shoe lighter and take more rpm's. this is what i did a the nats on my tc3 along with the stiffer a.e. springs this will also work on the 3 shoe just make sure you do all the shoes the same. 2fast had a great run in the main i must say

BallPy 08-01-2002 12:50 PM

I have a 5 port Turbo and I can not get it to run for crap. I have come close to getting it and it has some serious potential but I just cant get it there. Any suggestions. I am running the stock Collari Slide Carb.:cool:

stefan 08-01-2002 01:39 PM

as I said before (several times;) ) out a Nova Rossi carb on it

BallPy 08-01-2002 01:44 PM

I was kinda hoping I wouldnt have to spend the money again for a new carb. I just got the engine.:(

RAP66 08-01-2002 01:54 PM

The carb is fine... it just take more tweekin, than most. I had probs with the car flaming out, so I reset the carb to fact breakin... and leaned it out from there. Now it idles fine, runs at a nice 240, and so far (knock on wood) no flame outs....

I also wound up using a colder plug, and added another .3mm shim ( I run 30% Byron with 2oz of blenzol added to the gallon)

Rich