Wiki Posts
Search

Free up the transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 01:48 AM
Tech Regular

Default Free up the transmission

Hi there,

I see more and more racers taking away the top rubber layer of the drive belts. You can actually see the mesh construction...

Does anybody know how to modify the belts in this way? Will it result in an efficiency improvement?

Thanks and have a great day
Old 07-30-2012, 03:24 AM
Tech Lord

The 2 small ones do fit arround a tire, with the help with a tire truer and some sandpaper you can remove the hard layer within seconds.

I am not doing that. I spray the teeth of my belts with a teflon spay (WD40 works also), it makes the belts very smooth without weakening them by removing the top layer.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:06 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the follow up Roelof. Good tip - Do you think I could try to soak the belts in silcicone oil? I do have a spray can at home which I use on my rc heli for the rear belt to avoid static build-up...

Originally Posted by Roelof
The 2 small ones do fit arround a tire, with the help with a tire truer and some sandpaper you can remove the hard layer within seconds.

I am not doing that. I spray the teeth of my belts with a teflon spay (WD40 works also), it makes the belts very smooth without weakening them by removing the top layer.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:16 AM
Tech Lord

I have heard about soaking belts into an oil in the past, I have no experience with it. Yes, silicone oil shoult work as wel. It pervents holding dust and gives less friction with the pulleys
Old 07-30-2012, 06:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fulcrum2
Thanks for the follow up Roelof. Good tip - Do you think I could try to soak the belts in silcicone oil? I do have a spray can at home which I use on my rc heli for the rear belt to avoid static build-up...
use silicon aerosol spray will do
Old 07-30-2012, 06:44 AM
Tech Regular

I will try it first in practice because it could also be that the belt skips teeth more easily and then self destroys (loose teeth)...