Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help from experience Nitro racers

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 09:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Help from experienced Nitro racers

I am making my first venture into the wonderful world of Nitro Touring. I have been racing electric for 18 years so I am not new to R/C. I am looking for a highly competitive yet reliable & durable car. What would you recommend - Serpent 710, Mugen MTX3, HPI R40, AE NTC3.

Don't just tell me you prefer one because that is what you race...tell me the pros & cons of the car you prefer.

Thanks for the help

Clint Wyckoff
Indianapolis, IN

Last edited by FastHound; 02-21-2005 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Nitro car

YGM
Old 02-21-2005, 11:49 AM
Tech Regular

Out of the cars you mentioned I personally like the 710 the most. Cost and performance is above the rest in my opinion. However everyone has their own opinion.

Also include the Kyosho's in there (RRR and 05RR). All great cars. I had the NTC3 last year. Although it was very easy to work on and maintain (VERY Easy), it took alot to keep the car in top shape. Also on larger tracks it suffered on top end and the quality of the parts was suspect.

I am currently in the process of building a Kyosho RRR WC Edition and there is absolutely no comparison in quality(to Associated). The fit and finish is second to none.

The Mugen is great also but very $$$$, and the HPI takes alot of upgrades to make that fast from what I hear (maybe R40 owners can clarify that).

Just make sure your LHS has spares or that you order a TON in(but hey you know that already-18years).

Serpent and Kyosho seem to be the winning cars at the moment...

Either way just get into Nitro!! What took so long!!

Good luck and have fun,

John
Old 02-21-2005, 12:16 PM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have been wrenching on my Kyosho FW-05RR for the last month or so, building it up, and I have to say the fit/finish of the parts on this kit really is amazing. If the V-One RRR WC is this good, its a hard kit to beat. Personally I like shaft drive cars more than belt, and my FW-05RR is going to be in top form come spring

Only issue with Kyosho is parts availability. I am ordering spare rear arms and hubs incase I brake one since it could take 2 weeks to get parts in hand. But another aspect is how bullet proof the parts on the Kyosho are... the rear hubs and front suspension look pretty damn hard core. WAY stronger than any NTC3 I have seen.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

I`ve raced and own both a RRR and a Factory Team NTC3, and would have to say the RRR is engineered extremely well, and i certainly favour this car over the FT NTC3.
All the parts fit extremely well and items such as CVDs seem to be much more durable than those on the NTC3.
The RRR comes with a centax clutch (FT NTC3 uses 2 shoe clutch)...and the 2 speed in the RRR seems to have a more consistent shift.
The NTC3 will need the front shock tower modified with "the fix" to stop it being stripped out of the diff case in crashes, and also needs a side-chassis brace to protect the fuel tank from the pipe if you get hit side-on.....no such issues with the RRR, but some are experiencing fuel tank seal leaks.
Hope this helps

Cheers Andy
Old 02-21-2005, 02:56 PM
Tech Regular

Wink

but I have heard that the leak issues are resolved with the "B" version upper deck...It comes with the WC edition RRR.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yep, thats correct. I havent had any issues with my tank (its the standard RRR kit). I think the newer standard RRR kits are also getting the revised upper deck, which apparently allows a little more clearance around the tank to solve the seam leaking prob.
There is also some mention of the tank lid seal not sealing properly, but personally I havent had any probs with this either.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Does the RRR come with a Diff or a oneway?
Old 02-22-2005, 08:24 AM
Tech Regular

RRR comes with a front oneway. However it comes with the housing for the front diff. You need the following parts to complete the front Diff:

VZ218 - DIFF JOINT (19)
VZ012 - DIFF GEAR SET
BS107 - BEVEL SHAFT
VZ203 - PULLEY SET
VZ204 - DIFF PULLY SET

Remember that you also need diff oil!!

John

Last edited by jrabbito; 02-22-2005 at 10:35 AM.