R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-11-2002, 04:41 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic
which starter box, igniter?

Considering getting into 10th scale nitro racing and want your opinions on accessories, such as which starter boxes are good, what to look for, etc. Same with glow igniter, glow plugs. Thanks for any info.
coolrcdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 10:12 AM   #2
Tech Master
Default Re: which starter box, igniter?

I would suggest that you buy a starterbox that used the large 12V motor rather than two 540 motors. Ofna and others make them and they are usually referred to as "1/8 scale starter boxes." The dual 540 motor boxes often don't have enough grunt to turn over the high compression race engines, especially when you are first breaking the engine in. They cost another $10 or $15, but IMO they are well worth it. As fas as igniters go, either get a rechargable one or one that can easily accept rechargable batteries. Basically, don't use alkalines since they can't deliver consistant current through the life of the charge. You choose glowplugs based on the nitro content you intend to run. If you stick with 20% nitro content and run an 8 or 9 plug, you should be in good shape. Talk to your LHS for more details about chosing the right temp plug. They should be able to give you a good understanding of when to choose which plug. Stick with a standard plug engine to start with. When you are engine shopping, you will see "turbo plug" engines. They provide a better seal on the head and reduce turbulance inside the engine which gives you a little more power and higher rpms. They tend to be a bit more tempramental to tune and are often illegal if you plan to race. Your LHS should be able to advise you there as well.

Good luck!
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 11:33 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Thanks! That's great info.
coolrcdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 12:57 PM   #4
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you are going to run a nitro tc3, I highly recommenf the associated starter box. I've had them all and it fits the car perfect and works great with one 550 motor and you can run it off of 12v supply or two 7.2v packs. That car is a pain in the a.. to start on any other box. You can use others it just takes the aggravation out of starting this car. Tust 20 years of nitro experience.
YBSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 01:23 PM   #5
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

I found a glow starter that is based on a "D" cell - once it's charged it will literally last a month. . .it was made by Cen (gasp) and it actually is a great starter.

For a box, yeah, if you are running a NTC-3, the Assoc box is actually made for it and it fits great. I have an Ofna box and I had to highly modify the box to make it work, although it works great now.

I haven't found that the two 540's or 550s are too bad, unless you are running 1/8th. I have broken in several motors, including Mugen, RB and OS on my box and haven't had any trouble. I am thinking of upgrading the motors to a couple of E-Maxx motors, but only just tossing the idea around, at this point.
RC10L2.5W - RC12.4 - RCNTC3(bmi) - TC4 (modded) - B44.2 - plus rent-a-rides! :D
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 07:51 PM   #6
Tech Chat Moderator

Get a 1/8 starter box. I have the duratrax 1/10 whit dual 550's and it works great, and it will start the engine or die trying. Only thing the 2/7.2 batteries it takes to run it doesnt last long. ill be getting a 12volt battery in the future
Wow these forums have gotten popular since 02!
TheRagunCajun is offline   Reply With Quote