Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Great Lakes Challenge - Toledo, Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by BIGCAT TX
well I guess we can agree on one thing.....ROAR will settle it if they ever get off there butt and make a decision.
My guess is the rules they set will not be inline with either of our ideas of the GT class.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Not sure why everyone is debating the quality of motors for this class with the under 200 limit on price. For many racers it isn't the quality of motor that is the issue. There are plenty of motor options.

I believe the GT class was created based on the off road buggy class but for on road. Has to be an off road buggy chassis etc etc.....

Sooooo, has anyone ever been to an off road buggy class that had a price limit on anything or any part for the car? NO! What about Truggy or what about SC or 10th scale buggy? NO! So for the life of me I cannot figure out why there is price limit on off road buggy based on road class for GT. Just plain ignorant IMO.

If you want to limit it to off road buggy engines since it is an off road buggy class that makes more sense. Like what Leisure Hours did for the Byron Challenge? But to limit by price is pretty stupid for the overall class.

I know people are scared to run against an on road motor vs off road that costs 700 dollars, but I can guarantee Paolo will beat you with a 200 motor even if you had an on road motor. Bad excuse for poor driving, poor maintenance, and poor set up car.

Anyway, it is hard to drive 1300 miles to be limited to a local rule that isn't what the masses run. There are only two big races I am aware of this year that have this stupid rule. And one of them is changing this rule next year.

If you have enough racers separate the classes by Sportsman & Expert like the off road buggy based class - or just run off road motors - or no limit. It isn't going to change the outcome of the race if your setup is adequate for the track, and you can drive the car well.

Let's limit the sedan class and 8th scale open class to a dollar amount and see how that works out? You wouldn't have any racers at all!

There are several of us from texas that were going to this race until we found out about the rule on price. No other class I have ever heard of limits price on any part on any car.

If you want to grow the class like off road buggy quit making stupid rules that do not appeal to the masses.

And I have two motors that I could run, so I am not complaining about motor quality or choices, just the stupidity that will keep more racers away.

Next time you have an off road buggy race try limiting the price and see how the turn out is impacted......

I have heard great things about this track and the racers....so I am not bashing the event or racers. I really wanted to go but I cannot support this kind of stupidity in RC racing.

I hope ya'll have a great event! Maybe next time!

All the Best from Texas!
You know everyone has their opinion on everything, and with any class of racing there are a set of rules to follow. when this class first started and we had it at the great lakes challenge, there were some of the more seasoned guys that grabbed a car out of the box and raced and just had a blast, no matter how they finished they had a smile on their faces, this is what we are trying to bring back. Also there is a better way to state your opinion rather than call it stupidity in RC racing, I for one take offense to that statement, i have never gotten on the boards and stated that what certain clubs and events chose to run class wise or rule wise, and I don't think you need to go there. I have been to many races outside of my local clubs and when I get there I have to abide by the rules stated at the track, some tracks had rules about certain traction compounds, and quess what when you go to that track you have to abide by those set of rules.Regardless of what you might think every class has there own set of rules, in sedan there may not be a price rule but there is an engine size rule, you cant just put a .15 in a sedan and then say it should be legal because that's what I like. You say that you have cheap engines that you beat people with that have more powerfull engines in their cars, in that case you shouldn't have a problem abiding by the ruling of the motor, because you already have one. If you choose not to come to our race because of that I am truly sorry, and beleive it or not allthough I don't know you, you will be missed, I would like to see a full crowd of gt racers at this event, because we always have a good time.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

", you cant just put a .15 in a sedan and then say it should be legal because that's what I like."

This is not a price limitation - you can only put a .21 - .28 in the GT too......price limit is the overall restriction issue. NOT motor size. AND these rules are the same at every ROAR sanctioned event - NOT just GLC.

ROAR will be the deciding factor.......when they get around to it.

No harm intended......just compare apples to apples. Not apples to pineapples. Money is not a restriction on any part or engine in any other class in any RC racing I have ever encountered.

Even the spec slash class has no restrictions on price....just motor size and mods. Which IS the cheapest RC class out there to run in over 10th scale.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Tech Adept

Look bigcat Tx the IGT class was designed for entry level racers to get onto the hobby and not spend a ton of money and be competive if you don't like the rules run 1/8 scale you can run what you want.

Let get this back on topic.

Last edited by dfilo123; 08-01-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dfilo123
Look bigcat Tx the IGT class was designed for entry level racers to get onto the hobby and not spend a ton of money and be competive if you don't like the rules run 1/8 scale you can run what you want.

Let get this back on topic.
HA HA......well tell Serpent/cobra that for $599 for the roller! Next thing you know you won't be able to run the Cobra in the class because your car is over 300 dollars? Serpent is not in it for providing a cheap car to run. It is not a 300 dollar spec car. You have to spend some money to get into GT now days and be real competitive with long lasting parts/set up. The only cheap thing about the GT class is the motor with your rules which isnt' relevant to the outcome of the race.

If you want to build a spec class build one! Price is still not a factor in any spec class in RC racing. It is motor/gearing/parts/etc....never price.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Shawn, are you going to at least pack the RX8 up and join us for that class?

HA HA......well tell Serpent/cobra that for $599 for the roller! Next thing you know you won't be able to run the Cobra in the class because your car is over 300 dollars? Serpent is not in it for providing a cheap car to run. It is not a 300 dollar spec car. You have to spend some money to get into GT now days and be real competitive with long lasting parts/set up. The only cheap thing about the GT class is the motor with your rules which isnt' relevant to the outcome of the race.

If you want to build a spec class build one! Price is still not a factor in any spec class in RC racing. It is motor/gearing/parts/etc....never price.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Farmer_John
Shawn, are you going to at least pack the RX8 up and join us for that class?
I really want to....but I don't think I have made any friends on this thread. I will certainly get my butt kicked in 8th scale since I just got the car and am learning. But if they don't lower the motor price I might not be able to compete....lol.
Believe me I really want to go. The GT is the car of choice right now and I am having a hard time supporting the rules for over 1500 round trip.......(BTW that is 7 and half motors I could buy with their rules)

I have heard nothing but great things about the GLC racers, track & event! It is on my list, but I think I'll save it for another big GT race this year)
Old 08-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Tech Adept

If you want to build a spec class build one! Price is still not a factor in any spec cland the class in RC racing. It is motor/gearing/parts/etc....never price.
Since you are such an expert what does it cost to put a competive 1/8 onroad car into the main at the GLC, nationals could you help me understand your logic

The class started with the kyosho and ofna ready to run cars serpent came to market and is still alot cheaper than 1/8 scale open car.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Believe me, These guys are beyond compare when it comes to camaraderie. I wouldn't have sold or traded off 90% of my off road stuff to go join and race with them if I wasn't getting that warm fuzzy feeling!

I'm learning too. I'm learning that I should have done this long ago.

So please, pack yourself up (and Ron, Andy and anyone else down there you can con into going), drop the wife off at the stately Rubin manor and hang out with me for a couple of days (and the Lefebvres, Mr. Bates...) and have some fun!

I owe you a brew or two anyway....

I really want to....but I don't think I have made any friends on this thread. I will certainly get my butt kicked in 8th scale since I just got the car and am learning. But if they don't lower the motor price I might not be able to compete....lol.
Believe me I really want to go. The GT is the car of choice right now and I am having a hard time supporting the rules for over 1500 round trip.......(BTW that is 7 and half motors I could buy with their rules)

I have heard nothing but great things about the GLC racers, track & event! It is on my list, but I think I'll save it for another big GT race this year)
Old 08-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dfilo123
Since you are such an expert what does it cost to put a competive 1/8 onroad car into the main at the GLC, nationals could you help me understand your logic

The class started with the kyosho and ofna ready to run cars serpent came to market and is still alot cheaper than 1/8 scale open car.
Ok.....
Serpent cobra 599 retail
RX8 699 retail.

looks like about 100 difference for the roller.

You can run the same servos/receiver.

I set of SRC foams are cheaper than sweeps or alphas.

Motor is your choice - pick it!

So not much difference with the cobra GT? 100 bucks or so other than motor?
Old 08-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Tech Adept

God man I am really sorry that you are so up in arms about a rule that you just don't like. I will say this we are waiting on a representative from roar to contact us on this, and when he does that will be that,but if he decides not to contact us we will keep our rules the same way we have them now, I can't be anymore fair than that and if you don't like the answer than to bad. Again you say that you have run cheaper motors and it is irrelevant so why do you have an issue with complying to the rules set for this race. If I were to come to your event I would comply to the rules set by your event and not complain and make a lot of smart Alec comments that is not necessary, again I hope you decide to join us and have some fun, and we can have a calm discussion about this as friends and not enimies.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mrod
God man I am really sorry that you are so up in arms about a rule that you just don't like. I will say this we are waiting on a representative from roar to contact us on this, and when he does that will be that,but if he decides not to contact us we will keep our rules the same way we have them now, I can't be anymore fair than that and if you don't like the answer than to bad. Again you say that you have run cheaper motors and it is irrelevant so why do you have an issue with complying to the rules set for this race. If I were to come to your event I would comply to the rules set by your event and not complain and make a lot of smart Alec comments that is not necessary, again I hope you decide to join us and have some fun, and we can have a calm discussion about this as friends and not enimies.
Sorry man...I have just seen too many racers sitting at the track complaining about the one guy that has a more expensive motor and is doing better than others.....NOT because of the other motor but because he is a better racer/mechanic/driver overall. It just gets so far under my skin when this is an off road buggy based class. If you used that as an excuse in off road buggy you would be laughed at. Just makes zero sense to me. I have listened to it for too long and have to speak my mind about it.

When I was a new guy I lost because I wasn't as good period. The motor wasn't the issue and it was proven over time and time again. I really think it is a sorry excuse not to be a better racer overall.

As a matter of fact, electronics/servos/radios might be more important from a dependability/control stand point than motors. You can have a 100 motor tuned right that beats a 700 motor tuned wrong. The motor thing is so relative to the driver/pit guy. It just doesn't make sense to me. Are they not going to allow a racer with an RSX servo because it is 250 dollars? really....

Believe me I am trying to get over it but it just kills me.....
Old 08-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

This is fuuuunnnnnnyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!! By the way, I'm going to put in a .18 to see if you notice.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Tech Adept

Default done

I have said all that I need to say on this I don't feel the need to keep going on with this,my last statement holds true we will wait to hear from roar and if not the rules stand end of story.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I have said all that I need to say on this I don't feel the need to keep going on with this,my last statement holds true we will wait to hear from roar and if not the rules stand end of story.
DONE!? You obviously don't know how message board arguing works.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.