R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #271
Tech Apprentice
 
Pcoleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 51
Default

SNR!!!!! what up? Yea you know we love this class! Remember racing in the parking lot at the old OFNA building!

Guys... No one paints a GT body like Steve N.

And if you need carbon fiber parts make for you car.. SNR can hook you up!!!

He has been known too travel up and down Harbor Blvd looking for paint scheme's..... Lol
Pcoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #272
Tech Apprentice
 
Pcoleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 51
Default

Hey Steve Pond, give me a call your old number is not working 949-275-6521 Thanks
Pcoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #273
Tech Master
 
J-milz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Staten island
Posts: 1,481
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default Kfactory

��������
__________________
💫XRAY addict💫 sponsored by the secret stash.....tee-hee-hee.

Last edited by J-milz; 09-05-2012 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Duplicate
J-milz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #274
Tech Master
 
J-milz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Staten island
Posts: 1,481
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default Kfactory

Was at a local GT8 event this past weekend and it seemed as, if you weren't driving a serpent you wasn't competitive. I purchased a $175 GT1 from the forum and want to get this car up to speed. I was thinking of using the below items from kfactory.....any thoughts?

http://www.kfactoryracing.com/showBi.../K80/K8040.jpg
__________________
💫XRAY addict💫 sponsored by the secret stash.....tee-hee-hee.

Last edited by J-milz; 09-06-2012 at 08:35 AM.
J-milz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:45 AM   #275
Tech Elite
 
Chris K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Independence, MO
Posts: 2,569
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

And I'm sure that it would be easy to draw that conculsion; but the cold hard facts are that many of the folks running the Serpent in IGT are skilled, experienced racers (a number of whome are sponsered by Serpent) that were winning before they had the Serpent car. IF my memory serves me correctly, several are A Main runners in ANY national onroad event.

BUT, I digress! My OPINION is that the Serpent is a fine, evolved car. BUT, for the majority of us who are 'just racers' owing one may make some difference BUT it's certainly not going to make the difference of a C Main driver suddenly in the A.... To the best of my knowledge, they're not sold with a box of skillz included next to nut bag B....

I have a virtually stock Kyosho GT2 - it's 3 years old and I'm not planning a switch. My car has 'real' linkages rather than pieces of wire, upgraaded swervos, the 'upgrade' 2-speed (first available around 2.5 years ago) and NO other modifications. Is it competitive with the fastest cars on the track??? NOT when I drive it but if I give the transmitter to someone really skilled it's hard for me to believe that it's the same car!

Does owning something other than a Serpent make me feel like less of a driver &/or competitor??? Nope - not in the least! My lack of SKILLS is where the problem lies and at my age, probably will never get any better! Not being negative, just realistic.

So, bottom line is that you've made a good choice (among a number of good choices) in the GT1 - plus it was AFFORDABLE. Do you need K Factory goodies to make it great??? Nope, not in my opinion. You need a reliable engine, good servos, a decent pipe and some time spent on a set up board to even the 'ol girl out. Using the 'short' car allows to you use the ProLine/Protoform GT body which for the most part is about 1/2 the price of others and seems to be quite popular (I have one on my E car).

Enjoy this for what it is! In my opinion, at most levels you can have as much fun in a close battle for 4th as you can racing for 1st/2nd. It's about competition; up to this year has been pretty universally cost controlled andd shows a lot of potential for growth in areas where there is any on road activity at all!

Enjoy your new (to you) ride!
__________________
Wherever you go; there you are!
Chris K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:33 AM   #276
Tech Fanatic
 
sewerdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hawthorne
Posts: 760
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
And I'm sure that it would be easy to draw that conculsion; but the cold hard facts are that many of the folks running the Serpent in IGT are skilled, experienced racers (a number of whome are sponsered by Serpent) that were winning before they had the Serpent car. IF my memory serves me correctly, several are A Main runners in ANY national onroad event.

BUT, I digress! My OPINION is that the Serpent is a fine, evolved car. BUT, for the majority of us who are 'just racers' owing one may make some difference BUT it's certainly not going to make the difference of a C Main driver suddenly in the A.... To the best of my knowledge, they're not sold with a box of skillz included next to nut bag B....

I have a virtually stock Kyosho GT2 - it's 3 years old and I'm not planning a switch. My car has 'real' linkages rather than pieces of wire, upgraaded swervos, the 'upgrade' 2-speed (first available around 2.5 years ago) and NO other modifications. Is it competitive with the fastest cars on the track??? NOT when I drive it but if I give the transmitter to someone really skilled it's hard for me to believe that it's the same car!

Does owning something other than a Serpent make me feel like less of a driver &/or competitor??? Nope - not in the least! My lack of SKILLS is where the problem lies and at my age, probably will never get any better! Not being negative, just realistic.

So, bottom line is that you've made a good choice (among a number of good choices) in the GT1 - plus it was AFFORDABLE. Do you need K Factory goodies to make it great??? Nope, not in my opinion. You need a reliable engine, good servos, a decent pipe and some time spent on a set up board to even the 'ol girl out. Using the 'short' car allows to you use the ProLine/Protoform GT body which for the most part is about 1/2 the price of others and seems to be quite popular (I have one on my E car).

Enjoy this for what it is! In my opinion, at most levels you can have as much fun in a close battle for 4th as you can racing for 1st/2nd. It's about competition; up to this year has been pretty universally cost controlled andd shows a lot of potential for growth in areas where there is any on road activity at all!

Enjoy your new (to you) ride!
WELL SAID , the pros can drive a car from Toys R US and still win, for the rest of us , we just try to have fun, but be competative too, love my GT2 , good servos ,good tires , the best motor you can afford and your all set
__________________
CARD BOARD BOX RACING
sewerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #277
Tech Elite
 
JLock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,366
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
And I'm sure that it would be easy to draw that conculsion; but the cold hard facts are that many of the folks running the Serpent in IGT are skilled, experienced racers (a number of whome are sponsered by Serpent) that were winning before they had the Serpent car. IF my memory serves me correctly, several are A Main runners in ANY national onroad event.

BUT, I digress! My OPINION is that the Serpent is a fine, evolved car. BUT, for the majority of us who are 'just racers' owing one may make some difference BUT it's certainly not going to make the difference of a C Main driver suddenly in the A.... To the best of my knowledge, they're not sold with a box of skillz included next to nut bag B....

I have a virtually stock Kyosho GT2 - it's 3 years old and I'm not planning a switch. My car has 'real' linkages rather than pieces of wire, upgraaded swervos, the 'upgrade' 2-speed (first available around 2.5 years ago) and NO other modifications. Is it competitive with the fastest cars on the track??? NOT when I drive it but if I give the transmitter to someone really skilled it's hard for me to believe that it's the same car!

Does owning something other than a Serpent make me feel like less of a driver &/or competitor??? Nope - not in the least! My lack of SKILLS is where the problem lies and at my age, probably will never get any better! Not being negative, just realistic.

So, bottom line is that you've made a good choice (among a number of good choices) in the GT1 - plus it was AFFORDABLE. Do you need K Factory goodies to make it great??? Nope, not in my opinion. You need a reliable engine, good servos, a decent pipe and some time spent on a set up board to even the 'ol girl out. Using the 'short' car allows to you use the ProLine/Protoform GT body which for the most part is about 1/2 the price of others and seems to be quite popular (I have one on my E car).

Enjoy this for what it is! In my opinion, at most levels you can have as much fun in a close battle for 4th as you can racing for 1st/2nd. It's about competition; up to this year has been pretty universally cost controlled andd shows a lot of potential for growth in areas where there is any on road activity at all!

Enjoy your new (to you) ride!
Thank you Chris K!!!! Like sewerdog said, your post is very well stated and most refreshing to hear. It is refreshing to see someone state that you don't always need the latest/greatest to be competitive. Learning how to setup and adjust your car to the ever-changing conditions and hours upon hours of track time is just as important as the car you choose. I too own Kyosho Inferno GTs (2 GT1s and 1 GT2) and have been competitive at most of the races I have attended. We all like to be competitive and win/finish well at the races we attend, but in that process, many lose sight of the fun and camaraderie that is also suppose to be part of this hobby/sport.
__________________
Texas 5
It's not what you know; it's what you can prove.
The only thing that is for sure is that nothing is for sure!!!
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.

Last edited by JLock; 09-07-2012 at 08:40 AM.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #278
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 87
Default

The GT1,GT2 are great cars, I will let mine go when they pry it from my dead cold fingers. Don't get caught up in the hoopla over a new car, you have a good car already, learn it, drive it and enjoy it.
oskygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #279
Tech Master
 
J-milz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Staten island
Posts: 1,481
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Perhaps something was lost in translation. I'm not talking about switching cars (especially on a inferno GT thread). I only mentioned the serpents because for that particular event it was tuff to beat. And yes, mostly by guys who can drive a dump truck like its on rails. I was just throwing a question out there about a particular product. I just want a decent car and the "right" hopups. Setup is very important and basically I was in a round about way asking a general question about those Kfactory products and if they fit the GT car.

That's why I titled the post KFACTORY.
__________________
💫XRAY addict💫 sponsored by the secret stash.....tee-hee-hee.

Last edited by J-milz; 09-07-2012 at 02:57 PM.
J-milz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #280
Tech Regular
 
mosaics12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 429
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

u can use d aluminum post - blue. i think they are lower compare to stock. u can also position the servo saver with horn on d opposite side.

anybody know what d difference on laydown and stock servo layout?
__________________
kyosho inferno GT2 pro.. kyosho ultima sc.. HPI savage X.. tamiya m-05 pr
mosaics12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #281
Tech Master
 
Gary NJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 1,154
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-milz View Post
Perhaps something was lost in translation. I'm not talking about switching cars (especially on a inferno GT thread). I only mentioned the serpents because for that particular event it was tuff to beat. And yes, mostly by guys who can drive a dump truck like its on rails. I was just throwing a question out there about a particular product. I just want a decent car and the "right" hopups. Setup is very important and basically I was in a round about way asking a general question about those Kfactory products and if they fit the GT car.

That's why I titled the post KFACTORY.
I too was at the FBF GT race and it certainly was a Serpent love-in. That said, the fast guys at that race were also the fast guys before the Serpent came out. As Chris said, they are really good drivers, and they have a lot of experience getting the GT cars to work well, whatever brand they are running.

I don't run a Serpent either - I'm even more of an outlier than you since I run a HB-based car with my own chassis plate, etc, and Kyosho, O'Donnell, Serpent and Ofna parts on it. My thought now is to mimic a lot of the Serpent setup on my car as well, since the Serpent clearly works very well. I run 200K F, 20K rear, 16mm shocks with 1.2 6 holes at 90 wt and I run Serpent springs F/R. The Serpent springs are a big leap forward IMO in terms of the rates we now have available to use. I basically duplicated the setups Paolo posted for the S car.

I personally wouldn't waste money on stuff like K Factory radio trays - you'll never see a difference. Put the money into always having a fresh set of Sweeps on the car, get the right diff/shock/spring and sway bar combo and get the body right - I found that was a huge difference in getting these pigs to handle. I've been running the Buku clutch the last few races and I really like it - I've been loving it all season offroad. Oh yeah - if you aren't running the shoe type two speed you absolutely have to run that - not open for debate there.

The last thing is the fast guys at FBF practice a lot, and it shows in how they run.

I did ok at FBF in the over-60, non-Serpent class. You run that class, too - right Chris?
__________________
Gary - GMK Supply
www.gmksupply.com
Great products. Goofy names.
Gary NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:21 AM   #282
Tech Master
 
J-milz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Staten island
Posts: 1,481
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Again, I know practice makes better, fast guys are going to be the fast, no matter what they drive. Aside from that...

I noticed that chassis flex was a bit of an issue with the stock radio plate and plastic poles especially when you swap motors in the GT. So basically I'm looking to stiffen it up. I also noticed that some of the ofna cars had a lay down servo conversion to lower CG. I was just inquiring about a setup like that (from Kfactory) for the kyosho. I found that to be interesting product and wanted to know ... 1st, does it even fit. Does it help get me stiff and finally has anyone used it with success.

Gary Id like to see that (Frankenstein) car.
__________________
💫XRAY addict💫 sponsored by the secret stash.....tee-hee-hee.
J-milz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:09 AM   #283
Tech Elite
 
Chris K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Independence, MO
Posts: 2,569
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary NJ View Post
I did ok at FBF in the over-60, non-Serpent class. You run that class, too - right Chris?
Yup - that's me!!!!

And I'm a bit grumpy today; I wanted to go to Lincoln to try out my BRAND NEW SWEEPS but got my plans changed for me; looks like a bit of local off road in my immediate future; which is good but don't get to try my shiny new tires!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-milz View Post
Again, I know practice makes better, fast guys are going to be the fast, no matter what they drive. Aside from that...

I noticed that chassis flex was a bit of an issue with the stock radio plate and plastic poles especially when you swap motors in the GT. So basically I'm looking to stiffen it up. I also noticed that some of the ofna cars had a lay down servo conversion to lower CG. I was just inquiring about a setup like that (from Kfactory) for the kyosho. I found that to be interesting product and wanted to know ... 1st, does it even fit. Does it help get me stiff and finally has anyone used it with success.

Gary Id like to see that (Frankenstein) car.
I think we'd ALL like to see that Frankenroadie!

In my opinion, as a 'sometimes' on road racer I enjoy the Kyosho because everything 'seems to be in the right places' just like the 1/8 nitro cars that I grew up (Ooooppps, strike that - GREW OLDER better states it!) driving. I tend to do better working on stuff that looks 'normal' to me regardess of what normal is the the rest of the world....

I enjoy this when I can get to go; my closest track is 200 or so miles away at Lincoln, NE - a great facility run by fun people who always provide good racing! That's enough to convince me to own one of each (gas and electric) and race when I can!
__________________
Wherever you go; there you are!
Chris K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #284
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary NJ View Post
I too was at the FBF GT race and it certainly was a Serpent love-in. That said, the fast guys at that race were also the fast guys before the Serpent came out. As Chris said, they are really good drivers, and they have a lot of experience getting the GT cars to work well, whatever brand they are running.

I don't run a Serpent either - I'm even more of an outlier than you since I run a HB-based car with my own chassis plate, etc, and Kyosho, O'Donnell, Serpent and Ofna parts on it. My thought now is to mimic a lot of the Serpent setup on my car as well, since the Serpent clearly works very well. I run 200K F, 20K rear, 16mm shocks with 1.2 6 holes at 90 wt and I run Serpent springs F/R. The Serpent springs are a big leap forward IMO in terms of the rates we now have available to use. I basically duplicated the setups Paolo posted for the S car.

I personally wouldn't waste money on stuff like K Factory radio trays - you'll never see a difference. Put the money into always having a fresh set of Sweeps on the car, get the right diff/shock/spring and sway bar combo and get the body right - I found that was a huge difference in getting these pigs to handle. I've been running the Buku clutch the last few races and I really like it - I've been loving it all season offroad. Oh yeah - if you aren't running the shoe type two speed you absolutely have to run that - not open for debate there.

The last thing is the fast guys at FBF practice a lot, and it shows in how they run.

I did ok at FBF in the over-60, non-Serpent class. You run that class, too - right Chris?
You definitely don't need a serpent to be competitive, but kyosho (in-general) does lack the driver support and set-ups that the serpent car has readily available. That being said, I raced at FBF today, and after some tinkering I managed to finish 2nd in the A about a lap and a half down from one of the sweep guys (Jose ????). This with a brand new Roma just broke-in the day before. My point is that you don't need a serpent to be fast...I lapped a whole lotta them today...It's all about your set-up and driving skill...

Rich Peters (a.k.a. Kyosho Rich)
__________________
V-one-RR Evo,V-one-RRR (WC hopped-up),2007 Evolva,
Spada 09,MR-02,MR-03
Inferno GT2. Serpent Cobra GT
KF01 - F1, Serpent Viper 977WC, Serpent Natrix 748
1FastVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #285
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 884
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

As far as the Kfactory stuff goes, it is good quality and will serve you well. I have run a bunch of their pieces and had good luck with them.
__________________
People spend their lives worrying about death. I'm sliding in broadside h ollering "Wow, what a ride"
spooky 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GT class--buggy-based on road! duneland Nitro On-Road 9643 11-16-2016 03:11 AM
Racing in Chaplin CT this weekend!!! AndrewNicholas Racing Forum 476 09-10-2009 06:41 PM
Forgass March 7th and 8th, 2009 - Kissimmee KRaceway R*R*R*Pinard Florida Racing 189 03-16-2009 01:55 PM


Tags
igt, inferno gt2, kyosho


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:35 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net