Wiki Posts
Search

Receiver Battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 12:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Receiver Battery

Hi all

I have 2 cars ( Serpent 960 and Mugen MRX4 )

I would like a good option for receiver power ? Lipo or li-fe ??

how to fit or where to buy from ??

Regards
Old 05-28-2012, 01:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by vernon7026
Hi all

I have 2 cars ( Serpent 960 and Mugen MRX4 )

I would like a good option for receiver power ? Lipo or li-fe ??

how to fit or where to buy from ??

Regards
Not familiar with the 960. Go for the LiFe @ 3.3V per cell (6.6V 2S) and try to get more than 1000mah, measure dimensions for the smaller unless they are completely different then it's two batteries.

LiPo will usually require a regulator to reduce voltage from 7.4 to 6V and it's just another thing to go wrong and more wiring. While I havent had problems, many have and it's not worth frying your electronics with too much voltage. In contrary, there are reports of drivers using a LiPo 7.4V without regulators, I personally wouldnt do it.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:16 AM
Tech Lord

There are a lot LiPo/LiFe receiver batteries easy to find with the size of a 5 cell NiMh pack.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

i run the IP Li-FE packs 1450 mah, can be found on ebay and some HK shops.
personally i wouldnt go back to NiMh after using Li-FE. the 960 is what year ? the 960 08 you can use the brass battery tray, its a snug fit for the LiFe pack, and i use the same packs for the 733 /747 .
Old 05-28-2012, 06:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blis
Not familiar with the 960. Go for the LiFe @ 3.3V per cell (6.6V 2S) and try to get more than 1000mah, measure dimensions for the smaller unless they are completely different then it's two batteries.

LiPo will usually require a regulator to reduce voltage from 7.4 to 6V and it's just another thing to go wrong and more wiring. While I havent had problems, many have and it's not worth frying your electronics with too much voltage. In contrary, there are reports of drivers using a LiPo 7.4V without regulators, I personally wouldnt do it.
All depends on what receiver and servos you use as to whether or not you need a regulator. If you run the latest high end receivers from KO, Sanwa, Futaba etc and high voltage servos designed for LiPo 7.4V then you don't need a regulator. I've run Lipo for over a year now in 1/8th IC off-road without a single failure. Maybe I've just been lucky.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by John.
All depends on what receiver and servos you use as to whether or not you need a regulator. If you run the latest high end receivers from KO, Sanwa, Futaba etc and high voltage servos designed for LiPo 7.4V then you don't need a regulator. I've run Lipo for over a year now in 1/8th IC off-road without a single failure. Maybe I've just been lucky.
Fair enough John, if the electronics are rated for it, then it should be all good.