R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Matrix Tyres (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/624051-matrix-tyres.html)

stefan 04-30-2012 10:02 AM

Matrix Tyres

Hi all,

I just wanted to see if someone could share their experience with Matrix 8th scale tyres on carbon flex rims.

We just tested them on the weekend and they seem to have a completely differen front / rear balance than any other tyre brand we tested.

We ran 32/35 and 35/35 and both times they had immense front grip, actually too much for the rear tyres.

The car was more than loose, basically un-driveable
Put ATS and Ennettis on and the car was back to normal.

Is this just us, or has someone else made the same experience?

If so, what did you do about it.

Btw, we are running tyres without additives.

hitcharide1 04-30-2012 10:39 AM

Quick tip

Originally Posted by stefan (Post 10671779)
Hi all,

I just wanted to see if someone could share their experience with Matrix 8th scale tyres on carbon flex rims.

We just tested them on the weekend and they seem to have a completely differen front / rear balance than any other tyre brand we tested.

We ran 32/35 and 35/35 and both times they had immense front grip, actually too much for the rear tyres.

The car was more than loose, basically un-driveable
Put ATS and Ennettis on and the car was back to normal.

Is this just us, or has someone else made the same experience?

If so, what did you do about it.

Btw, we are running tyres without additives.

Take brake cleaner and spray down the rear tires liberally, then wipe down with a rag. Within two laps, your rear traction issues will disappear. Do as needed...some rubber retains the cleaner longer and doesn't require as many repeated applications, but a good healthy shot and wipedown should hold for any main event.

MRX4XXXX 04-30-2012 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by hitcharide1 (Post 10671928)
Take brake cleaner and spray down the rear tires liberally, then wipe down with a rag.

==> equals additive.

Thanks for the info anyway. I will try that also.

-X-

stefan 04-30-2012 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by hitcharide1 (Post 10671928)
Take brake cleaner and spray down the rear tires liberally, then wipe down with a rag. Within two laps, your rear traction issues will disappear. Do as needed...some rubber retains the cleaner longer and doesn't require as many repeated applications, but a good healthy shot and wipedown should hold for any main event.

Thanks, but that's not an option.

nitrodude 04-30-2012 12:25 PM

I used to run them and never had a problem switching between brands. Ive even run front regular and rear carbon and the car was fine. Ive run ATS before, and to me the car felt wierd, like it was floating, they made the car feel "numb" to me.

wingracer 04-30-2012 02:15 PM

Strange. Almost sounds like you got some mixed up foam, like rear rubber on the fronts or front rubber on the rears or something. Never had that issue with them myself.

stefan 04-30-2012 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by wingracer (Post 10672831)
Strange. Almost sounds like you got some mixed up foam, like rear rubber on the fronts or front rubber on the rears or something. Never had that issue with them myself.

We measured shore hardness on a set yesterday. It looks like the front Matrix are all a bit softer than what they are sold as and the rears a bit harder.

the readings were.

Front 32 = 30
Front 35 = 32-33
Rear 35 = 35-37

I have been told that Matrix are to be used when the grip on the track is up.

hitcharide1 05-01-2012 08:28 AM

Hm

Originally Posted by MRX4XXXX (Post 10672019)
==> equals additive.

Thanks for the info anyway. I will try that also.

-X-

Ok. Odd tho, I see a rather large number of ppl doing it, but if it's not allowed where you are, so be it.

wingracer 05-01-2012 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by hitcharide1 (Post 10676606)
Ok. Odd tho, I see a rather large number of ppl doing it, but if it's not allowed where you are, so be it.

It is legal in some places (US, Italy), and illegal in others (EFRA, IFMAR).

Grinder 05-01-2012 08:52 AM

To me the matrix tires do offer more steering than some, but I do not have an oversteer problem. Maybe they require a different setup.

I have also noticed the matrix tires take longer to get up to temperature. When they do get warm the amount of grip is awesome. IMO. They also wear better than most.

stefan 05-01-2012 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Grinder (Post 10676696)
To me the matrix tires do offer more steering than some, but I do not have an oversteer problem. Maybe they require a different setup.

I have also noticed the matrix tires take longer to get up to temperature. When they do get warm the amount of grip is awesome. IMO. They also wear better than most.

Hi Uriah,
you are right. We did some more testing, took some steering out of the car and softened the rear a bit.

Much better! And, as you said, they take a few laps to come in and then they are really good.

I can also confirm the good wear.

Only problem is, that it ain't so easy to switch between brands now.