Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Will I be in trouble bring nitro engines to the airport? >

Will I be in trouble bring nitro engines to the airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will I be in trouble bring nitro engines to the airport?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 07:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Will I be in trouble bring nitro engines to the airport?

Well, I am going back to Hong Kong for a short vacataion, at the same time, I am bringing in about 6 engines for my friend over there since there are THINGS that ppl cannot buy in Hong Kong (that is odd..)

Now, I want to know....will I be in trouble bringing in brand new (no fuel and no plug) nitro engines, stored them in my lugguage, NOT carry on lugguage.............will they stop me to aboard the plane?

If so...where can I find the guide line..? Is that under FAA or FDA (or whatever that airport thing...?)

Anyonw (recently within 6 months) tried the similar thing, leaving USA and bringing nitro engines on their stored in luggage and going to other countried like over ASIA......without any trouble?

Just want to get some idea and may be I have to MAIL those engines to HK instead...(to be the safe side..)

Thanks a million................
Old 01-31-2005, 07:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Shouldn't be a problem. I flew from Oklahoma to California for the Tamiya National Finals this summer and I took batteries in my carry-on bag with me. They were wired as saddle packs and I can see how they would look suspicious. After a brief "what the h*** is THAT?!?" from the Security Officer, I explained what they were, showed him a picture, and we were okay from there.

I also had a Team Losi bag FULL of odd-looking stuff that was checked baggage and they never said anything. They DID open it, and left a note inside saying that they had, but nothing was destroyed or missing.

Put a magazine and maybe an advertisment for the engines in your luggage so when they do open the bag to inspect your contents (which, I'm betting they will,) they'll have a visual reference for what those things are.

Rob
Old 01-31-2005, 10:38 AM
Tech Regular

Maybe you should call the airline to be sure.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:16 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by gonzoY5
Maybe you should call the airline to be sure.
i recently flew back from New York to L.A to New Zealand and brought 2 motors back (with plugs) and had no problems what so ever. I told the screeners that they were in there and they didnt seem to mind.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:38 PM
Tech Regular

I flew from New York JFK to the Philippines last summer onboard Korean Airlines. I brought my MBX5 with starter box,engine, tools etc. even pactra canned paints. I put them all in one checked in luggage NOT carry on luggage and had no problem. 2 years ago I did the same thing but this time brought my MTX3 and I use Asiana Airlines. When Im about to leave the Philippines going back here Philippine airport officials saw my stuff in my luggage on their xray machine and I just told them they were r/c and they let me passed.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:06 PM
Tech Adept

T.S.A. will have a fit with it. T.S.A. are the federal screeners that will be screening your things. Check with your airline for specifics , but I would check the engines in with your baggage to ride under the plane. Trust me, I worked very closely with T.S.A. at the John Wayne Airport , O.C. Calif. They will prosecute if they have a reason to and fines are healthy.

L.O.L.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just returned from Singapore to Melbourne, Oz, with a brand new FW-05S in my luggage. Airport x-rays did not pick anything up, nor did customs have any problems with it at either airport.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:46 AM
Tech Champion

Super thanks to everyone sharing the information, I am sure someone in the future will find this information usefull, after I landed in HK and back from HK to USA, I will share my side of story...

To sums it all....I think engines and RC cars are all OK....just if they have question, and let them know it is RC engine and it should be fine...

They are NOT ILLEGAL nor Prohibitat to bring on to the airplane, just NOT bring them on as a carry on luggage...you MUST store them as the CHECK IN LUGGAGE, that means luggage stored at the bottom level of the airplane................

Thanks again everyone..........
Old 02-02-2005, 01:33 PM
A3
Tech Initiate

When you get to the airport, just run as fast as you can through the metal detectors. When the security tries to stop you pull the motors out of your bag and start tossing it at them. As soon as one hits the floor, jump face first into the floor as if it was going to explode. LMAO J/K

Why don't you just mail it to where ever you are going?
Old 02-03-2005, 09:15 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by A3
When you get to the airport, just run as fast as you can through the metal detectors. When the security tries to stop you pull the motors out of your bag and start tossing it at them. As soon as one hits the floor, jump face first into the floor as if it was going to explode. LMAO J/K

Why don't you just mail it to where ever you are going?
It beat the purpose of cost saving.....
About the move that you mentioned at the airport, I will pay you $50 for YOU to do it, and I just stand on the side and video tape that....I am not sure about other country, but if you are talking about OHARE international airport (probably the world busiest airport...) that is a automatic ticket to the JAIL HOUSE no sweat...(I am kidding too...)
Old 02-03-2005, 10:07 AM
Tech Champion

Nitro engines ?? .......... come on, it's okay.

Only flameable items such as nitro fuels are prohibited onboard aeroplanes.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:54 AM
A3
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by Rookie Solara
It beat the purpose of cost saving.....
About the move that you mentioned at the airport, I will pay you $50 for YOU to do it, and I just stand on the side and video tape that....I am not sure about other country, but if you are talking about OHARE international airport (probably the world busiest airport...) that is a automatic ticket to the JAIL HOUSE no sweat...(I am kidding too...)

LOL!! That would be funny wouldn't it? Well I checked with my brother (he's a U.S. Air Marshall) and he said as long as you disclose it when they check you out everything should be fine. But no fuel allowed for obvious reasons. And if I am not mistaken, O'hare Airport is not the busiest. I know because I used to live in Chicago for 16 years. I am now in Atlanta and Jackson-Hartsfield is the world's busiest (well at least that is what papers say). I checked.......not that its very important but a fact.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

There is no problem bringing a "Brand New" engine with you as carry on. I did so coming back from Japn. However when I tried to fly from LAX to DCA, with my nitro car (fuel emptied) I got a big "NO". I asked them why I couldn't bring it and even showed them that the fuel tank was empty but they said no. Now I'm starting to get irritated cuz I was already running late and didn't want to miss my flight. I pulled out my BIC lighter and told them

"I bet I have more flamable liquid in this lighter than I do in that car alone"

They still didn't budge. They said that once it has had fuel through it I could not bring it on the plane. In the end I lost. Luckily my sister had waited for me so I gave her my car and had her mail it.

It's funny watching their expression though when my M8 and a whole bunch of battery packs start passing through the Xray machine. I had 6 security guys come out of nowhere and really quickly to pull me aside and question me. Along with that stuff I had a pair of 6" digital calipers. I got through LAX and landed at Ohare. I had an 1 1/2 hour lay over and decided to step outside and get some fresh air. When I tried to come back they questioned me about the caliper. They wouldn't let me through (because of the sharp edges they said it could be used as a weapon) and they said I would have to check it in as luggage but of course I had 30 minutes till take-off. They made me wait through ticketing to check it in. Time is really getting precious now. By the time I make it to the counter they tell me it's too late to check it in. It won't make it with my luggage. I asked them to just send it on the next flight and I'll just pick it up at baggage claim. They told me that they couldn't do that because I have to travel with my luggage. So I asked her if they would mail it to me and they said no. I asked them what was I supposed to do then. I got a " I guess we'll just have to dispose of it". YEAH RIGHT!!! That was a present from my father. And then this lady standing behind me offers to take the calipers from me and mail it out to me. She told me that she was some type of engineer and knew what they were and didn't mind checking it in with her luggage and mailing it off to me. Oh...boy was she fine too for an older lady.
So a few weeks later I get my calipers in the mail. To show my appreciation, I sent a boquet of flowers and a thank you card to her office. Never heard from her since.

So to be on the safe side try to pack as much equipment into your luggage. Only pack it into your carry-on if you know for a fact they won't raise an eyebrow because in the end its their rules (actually the FAA and whatever other regulating authorities involved). And rules are always interpreted different ways. Sad but true!

Jeff B
Old 02-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Tech Adept

T.S.A. they are so freaking stupid!!! They have absolutelty no common sense. Nice of the agent to hook you up, They usually can't do that, she must have liked you.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Proteus
So to be on the safe side try to pack as much equipment into your luggage. Only pack it into your carry-on if you know for a fact they won't raise an eyebrow because in the end its their rules (actually the FAA and whatever other regulating authorities involved). And rules are always interpreted different ways. Sad but true!
I only pack my Tx gun as carry on because it's the msot sensitive electronic equipment. The rest goes into the check-in luggage. Even then, you can see the security guys stopping the XRay machine conveyor belt to pause and scrutinise what the hell is the thing in my hand luggage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.