Wiki Posts
Search

GT 1/8 Scale Rules and Setup Sharing

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 07:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BrakeTurnAccelerate
99.5% of new people aren't going to be competitive, whether everyone runs the same boring engines or not. Most new people to the hobby understand this, and just go out to have fun, upgrading when they can afford it and their talent levels allow them. They don't expect to beat some seasoned guy, whether he's got a $100 Dynamite or $500 Novarossi Flash.

There's a good chance that convert 1/8th Onroad and 1/8th Offroad guys are not going to have an engine that slots into these new rules, which will keep alot of those people from even considering it, if they can't run their spare engines.
Bingo
Old 09-22-2012, 11:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default GT8 are we forgotten again?

Originally Posted by Clete Landefeld
OK ...
Should we grab the ideas from this forum and create a "Board of Directors" for
the GTNational Series Rules.... ???? This board would responable for the rules until ROAR steps in... when ROAR steps in, The Board would direct ROAR as to our goals as group... Thoughts... are we ready

We would:

Let your club/regions leaders know that we would like to do this...

1. I suggest that sponsors and vendors are not alowed to Vote nor be nominated..
a.This would keep the RACERS in control of the direction without any bias...
2. I also think that the board be made of of the guys who make efforts to travel...

We could shore up everthing, shake hands and come out racing!
What do you guys think...
Originally Posted by MugenDrew
This is just beautiful! Progress, finally! Ok back to spectating I go.

Originally Posted by Doug M
Great to hear all the positive and level headed posts. First time in a long while I can read something about GT cars without feeling like I had to take a shower to get the mud off.It would be great if you can come up with some GT rules that the organizer could follow for all the racers well being.
Originally Posted by tonylunatic
I agree no brand wars that would only hurt the class. Not one brand has been mentioned in the last couple of pages.

What we are starting is a IGT national board that will decide the rules as of today.
Originally Posted by bassman2
I am here. I am just too busy wiping my tears for what I am seeing. Very positive indeed. Myself, Bigcat, Tony, and Chad will work together to represent the voices from Texas.

Looks like GT8 is the Name for the class.. I like it!..
Us old guy's won't be around for ever, and without new drivers the sport is finished. GT is a great oppourtunity for growth, so let's not screw this up by bickering over small stuff. I want rc racing around for my grandchildren, and their grandchildren.

Godson
Originally Posted by mgodson
Great discussion guy's, let's keep things going!
GT8 National Board

This board would reasonable for the rules until ROAR steps in. When ROAR steps in, the Board would direct ROAR as to our goals as group going forward.

NOTE that the names below have been nominated on a public forum. People could nominate themselves, however
1. Vendors are not allowed to Vote nor be nominated..
a. This would keep the RACERS in control of the direction without any bias...
2. Board is made of the guys who make efforts to travel...
a. Reasoning Example: If do not travel to other race tracks and regions, and have not in the past, you will not have a solid grasp of the happenings within the GT8 as a whole.

Jneg/ Jamie Nergon- Island States East
Z/ Mark Zitzlsperger - Heart of America Region
Spooky 1/ Gus Wood – Mountain West
RinoLino/ Rino Lino- Southeast
MGodson/ Mike Godson- Northwest
TEXAS- Cause it’s BIG
SCNAME?/ Andy Liu- Texas
BigCat/NAME? – Texas
Originally Posted by chaderick
To all the GT8 racers that are watching and reading this forum. I have been reading this forum and many like it over the past year and a half concerning GT racing. I choose to not mention any names as to not start any further fireworks. What I have found is that retaliating against a certain person or his or her negative posts only steers us off course and delays the progress. This may be the reason we are still talking about the issues we are with GT racing and the lack of a set of national agreed upon rules. Lets all stay focused and when a post is disruptive, negative, or simply a biased opinion, let's ignore it and move on to the positive discussions we have been having to that point. I have read nothing but positive feedback and suggestions up untill a day or so ago. I hope the best for all manufacturers that support GT racing. Without them the technology, competitive pricing, and support would be lost. We all have our opinions, but at the end of the day it is just that, "your personal opinion" "Brand Wars" accusations comes up alot but what I see is a bunch of GT racers expressing their personal opinons. Often times the popularity of a product is simply based on local support and what is the latest trend in a certain area. That being said it doesn't necessarily make them a better product. Let's all get along and steer this thread to moving forward with positive results like I belive it was intended for. I back the board members and look forward to much needed progress in this class.

Originally Posted by spooky 1
No reason to exclude any chassis or car makes with exception being the belt drive cars. The midwest rules are outdated and history at this point. We have tried for years now to get Roar and Steve to incorporate this class without success. It's time to move ahead without them. If they see we are serious , maybe they will be. I think the INS box would be something to incorporate into these rules.
Originally Posted by BIGCAT TX
Our understanding is that ROAR has already had a set of suggested rules and has yet to engage in this class...... The board should have a bigger impact IMO so hopefully they will engage once we have a consensus?

Originally Posted by Pit-racer
GT8 racing of toy cars is a hobby for me. It will remain a hobby till I leave this wonderful earth. Let's all keep it civil and promote the GT8 hobby.

The Board will figure it out...

Originally Posted by Grenade10
I posted a question on ROAR's Forum about when they will have rules for GT8 class. It has taken several weeks but received this posting from Steve Pond:Mark, we already have rules drawn up and tentatively approved from the last ROAR annual meeting held last year.

Would be interesting to know what and when they were talking about putting these into print.
Would be nice.

Originally Posted by scary_jerry
Nice try Grenade ! I appreciate the effort, but you're not holding your breath are you? If you are......get a dive tank and have the shop give you a touch of medical grade nitrous to ease the pain of waiting for them to act.

we always have the option of using our own rules for this class. They should be ready soon. I wonder if roar is waiting for their next annual meeting to confirm things. I don't want to wait another year.

Originally Posted by Chris K
I would like to hope that at some point we would know the 'rest of the story' and why our elected representatives have taken so long with this....

BUT, we probably won't ever know.... It just grinds my shorts that 'they', whoever 'they' is can sit on their hands and ignore what the membership (or at least a portion of it) thinks we want....

and NO, I'm not running for anything.... or from anything.... actually, running is NOT an option for me!
+100%

Hello Folks

I wanted to let you all know that Steve Pond contacted me a week or so ago and will be following up with me soon in regard to all the efforts you have put in as a group....
I will keep you posted as I speak to him and field any questions that may be comming up; what I cant answer will be directed at the board for GT8....

Be Safe, Be Fast
Clete
Anything?

GT8 National Series Board of Racers had provided Clete Landefeld the final rules to present to the ROAR. The decision on the engine rule is to keep it OPEN(after numerous discussions from GT8 racers around the nation). Here is why:

The weight (least 3500 grams) and design of the GT8 cars (shaft-driven

buggy based onroad vehicle on rubber tires) limit what ALL ENGINES can do.

High dollar onroad engines lack torque for these heavy cars so racers will need to gear low to KEEP up with cheaper .28 or .21 offroad engines(that have more torque) around the infields of the track.

Cheaper .28 or .21 offroad engines will need to gear taller to keep up with the onroad engine's mid range to high end power on the straight.

There are both PROs and CONs for using either high dollar onroad or cheaper .28 or .21 off road engines so we've decided on OPEN engine rule since there are advantages and disadvantages using any type of .21 or .28 engines.

Again, it all comes down to CAR SETUP and DRIVING to ensure ALL THE POWER gets delivered to the ground without wasting any excessive power from your engines.

The GT8 cars by design(due to its heavy weight and shaft driven) is SLOWER than 1/10 and 1/8 4WD. This class is definitely fast enough to call it an Onroad class. I would strongly encourage ALL onroad racers around the country to help promoting this class and "NOT LOOK DOWN" on this class because these cars are slower on the track. You have to realize these race cars are heavier/shaft-driven and run on RUBBER TIRES, just like 1:1 race cars do. One thing that everyone should agree on is GT8 class is TRULY A FUN class. No matter the car is fast or slow, a racer will still have to DRIVE the car and setup the car to go fast.

The bottomline is everyone would like to see onroad nitro racing to thrive again. Lets help fella racers and bring in more new racers to this great sport we all love (manufacturers/ROAR/racers).

The TRUTH is any QUALITY engines will be competitive in the GT8 class regardless the price tag due to cars weight and overall design requirements for the class. And when a new comer or someone thinking about joining the class asks:

Do I need to buy a high dollar engine to win in this class? And the answer will be ABSOLUTELY NOT, any QUALITY engines can win in the GT8 class regardless the price tag due to cars weight and overall design requiremtns for the class.

Can I buy a high dollar engine (on or offroad version) because I like the quality from these engines for this GT8 class? And the answer will be ABOLUTELY YES, any QUALITY engines can win in the GT8 class regardless the price tag due to cars weight and overall design requirements for the class.

PLEASE LET THE TRUTH BE TOLD TO EVERYONE STARTING NOW.

Andy Liu "Flyin Hawaiian"
Sounds good Andy, hope it doesnt fall on deaf ears

Jim, I can get you the rules with the exception of the engine specifications, and the engines that are approved. That's the the last part, and the most detailed, that still needs to be completed. The dollar figure has been remotely effective, but it excludes higher quality engines that would also qualify performance-wise. We're looking to have a level playing field as far as performance, and the dollar figure isn't the proper solution. The engine rule will ultimately have set specifications, and the approved engines will be listed in the forum, with all the internals photographed in detail so anyone can log in at any time and know what the internals should look like, in the event there's any dispute. This is the part of the rules that's not finished yet, but I think I can get you the rest of the rules within this week. I'm going to be at the electric nats, so time may run short, but I'm pushing to have them ready for you.

Uh.... Not in stone yet guys... keep this in mind...
So with that said, lets hope as a group with constructive critisim and thought we can work together with ROAR to finalize a good rule that works for the masses...
SO keep the ideas coming but be proactive to create a solution..Like Andy!!!
Well done and thank you Andy.. Always a class act...
Clete, not picking om you but if Andy is on the board shouldnt Mr. Pond be speaking to him or all board members since the have the pulse of GT8 racers?

Originally Posted by Z
It really does not matter a whole lot what ROAR does for a motor rule.

As race directors, series directors, track operators, if we don't like the ROAR motor rule, we can change it for our races. Unless you are hosting a ROAR event, you can do what your local racers want.

I was part of the GT8 Board and my hope was that we would end up with a set of rules that everyone could use so that when we travel to other races, everything would be the same.

I did not agree with the open motor rule but, as a group that is what we decided to go with.

At my track, we will be sticking with 5 port motors with a $280 limit.

Z
Z, I follow you but also you sound like people on the other side of the coin if they make the 280 dollar rule they will run open. Hope we can all bend a little... not a lot just a little

Originally Posted by BrakeTurnAccelerate
99.5% of new people aren't going to be competitive, whether everyone runs the same boring engines or not. Most new people to the hobby understand this, and just go out to have fun, upgrading when they can afford it and their talent levels allow them. They don't expect to beat some seasoned guy, whether he's got a $100 Dynamite or $500 Novarossi Flash.

There's a good chance that convert 1/8th Onroad and 1/8th Offroad guys are not going to have an engine that slots into these new rules, which will keep alot of those people from even considering it, if they can't run their spare engines.
Have to Agree

Originally Posted by C-Trickle
Bingo
So how about it? Will GT8 be on the list to be recognized with respect or are we gonna be delt some Mickey Mouse rules?

I am still on the hopefull side

Old 09-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

1*Speedy .... I've not heard anything, but will in the next week or so try and find out more info. I know that the Winternationals wanted some rules to run the class.

It has been nice to see more interest in the class, better racer turn out and increasing competition thorugh out the year. All good things for the class.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Agreed. Here in Texas we have 9 ADDITIONAL GT guys are coming out to race GT8 starting Nov. for the Gulf Coast Grand Prix 2012 at Gulf Coast Raceway in Porter, TX. Very nice!!!!
Old 09-23-2012, 06:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Thumbs up

I agree most races across the country have had better GT8 turn outs and the class has recieved an injection of New Blood which is Great

Where is "roar"

Rerflecting back a few months with what was going on is the board still active?

Was just looking ahead & would hate to see any progress get forgotton. Strike while the iron is hot & all that....

Old 09-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Agreed. Here in Texas we have 9 ADDITIONAL GT guys are coming out to race GT8 starting Nov. for the Gulf Coast Grand Prix 2012 at Gulf Coast Raceway in Porter, TX. Very nice!!!!
Make that 10 i will be there! can't wait to see the track!
Old 09-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Pcoleman
Make that 10 i will be there! can't wait to see the track!
NICE!!! Looking forward of seeing you again Paul .

I'll be there by Friday morning to get the car dialed in.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Our GT8 class has grown this year and it saddens me to see our season ending . Our last race for the season is Oct. 6th. Winter kills our outdoor racing here. We move indoor to rug race all winter. We had two classes. Both classes had the rules the committee laid out with open motors. Sportsman class had the new drivers and gave the rookie a place to hone his skills , while open class sharpened up the experienced GT drivers. It was a great summer of racing for us. The GT8 class rocks.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Gus, is your track permanent or a set up ??

Maybe all us GT8 fiends should just move south !!

Then I'd miss the rain...........

Jacko
Old 09-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Victor Vector
Gus, is your track permanent or a set up ??

Maybe all us GT8 fiends should just move south !!

Then I'd miss the rain...........

Jacko
Jacko, it doesnt rain there. Its either hot or snowing
Old 09-29-2012, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Our GT8 class has grown this year and it saddens me to see our season ending . Our last race for the season is Oct. 6th. Winter kills our outdoor racing here. We move indoor to rug race all winter. We had two classes. Both classes had the rules the committee laid out with open motors. Sportsman class had the new drivers and gave the rookie a place to hone his skills , while open class sharpened up the experienced GT drivers. It was a great summer of racing for us. The GT8 class rocks.
Gus,

You and the your racers are great competion and fun to race with. Keep up the program and see you next season!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We race at one permanent track and one portable set up track. We would welcome any GT8 drivers out here.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Tech Initiate

I was running only 1/10 nitro Sedan this year until I watched the GT8 races at Mikes in Houston.

Just to let you all know what attracted me to join into the class was first the FUN FACTOR. The racers were all having much more fun, I think because the cars were all about the same no matter what engine they were running. The realistic way they pitched and rolled like a real car, screeching tires and all!

The durability of the vehicle was the most attractive to me. I saw crashes that would have surely dead lined my 1/10 RRR, go unnoticed by these guys! Cars are tough.

No belts to go out and not replacing and truing tires all day long is very attractive as well. Driving it more and working on it less is what brought me over.

I ran both classes this season as a rookie and was able to to it because my Kyosho gt2 car was just reliable. Gas and go! Had a blast with guys that are great sports and very friendly and knowledgeable about the cars.

Since our series has ended here in Texas and have put all of my 1/10 sedan class stuff up for sale now as I am now all in for the GT8. Bought the Serpent car and am setting up my ole GT2 for wet weather (rained out twice, seems like a good idea).

From what I am reading on the thread ...everyone seems to be on track to keep the reasons I came over alive.

Tenth scale sedan used to be much like this class...rubber tires, realistic bodies, and all. Affordable and fun. Now (my opinion) it has evolved into a class where you better have a 500 dollar motor and 6 sets of foam tires ready to go if you want to be in the main.

I hope this class remains FUN and AFFORDABLE. I believe this will bring in more new people like myself.

Personality's and egos will always come up in any competition, but you guys seem to have the most class...also police your own very well. Im happy to be a part of this class now and am excited about its future with ROAR.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by graysrule1
I hope this class remains FUN and AFFORDABLE. I believe this will bring in more new people like myself.

Personality's and egos will always come up in any competition, but you guys seem to have the most class...also police your own very well. Im happy to be a part of this class now and am excited about its future with ROAR.
Very well said ......... Maybe we will meet at the Gulf Coast GP
Old 10-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Tech Addict

All I can say is that I am blessed with the opportunities to race with all you awesome GT8 guys out there. Thank you all for making this awesome class SO MUCH FUN for me.

I hope I'll see you again Mark and Bill S. at the Gulf Coast Grand Prix next month.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.