Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Capricorn Lab C-02 OR Shepherd Velox V10? >

Capricorn Lab C-02 OR Shepherd Velox V10?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Capricorn Lab C-02 OR Shepherd Velox V10?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Tech Elite

Default Capricorn Lab C-02 OR Shepherd Velox V10?

This question might well be as good as asking which colour frosting you want on your cake???!!!
But given the option, which would you go for and why?
At the moment, I'm favouring the Velox, but only by a hairs breath.

BM
Old 03-24-2012, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by British Menace
This question might well be as good as asking which colour frosting you want on your cake???!!!

BM
Anthony

I have both cars, have built two Shepherds but not the Capricorn. I would choose the Capricorn, maybe that is just because my favorite colour is Red and they have better support here in Australia at the moment.

But i heard orange is a good colour too and the G4 looks fast!

Andrew
Old 03-25-2012, 06:07 AM
Tech Elite

Hey Andrew,

Yes... the G4 is fast. I can vouch for that! It's very underated I think..... just look what Dario and Darren Johnson did with it.

Capricorn looks very good and winning the pre-worlds too!!
The Velox also looks great and I like their shock/ suspension and braking system!

Whichever ends up on the assembly table Andrew I may take to the Nationals at Nuggets Raceway in Florida
Now that would be a cool trip..... want to come mate

BRitish Menace
Old 03-25-2012, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Hey Andrew,

Yes... the G4 is fast. I can vouch for that! It's very underated I think..... just look what Dario and Darren Johnson did with it.

The Velox also looks great and I like their shock/ suspension and braking system!

Whichever ends up on the assembly table Andrew I may take to the Nationals at Nuggets Raceway in Florida

BRitish Menace
If you have managed to get good results from a G4, then either of the cars will be a step in the right direction. Both are innovative in different ways, they are more resilient than they appear to be, the V10 braking systems is outstanding, the C02's design and weight is irresistible and all that's left is support and personal preference. Based on results, our C02 is better, I own both cars and G4's and Bundy was at the track on the weekend and saw how well the C02 behave on track for my son Luke. This is subject to having put more time into the c02, more information was made available and all we did with the V10 was build it and run it.

While there is bias towards the C02, the Shepherd is a good car and if there is a good support network in your club then I would expect many good performances from it. Had very few problems with transmission, diffs, clutches etc but would advise a firm hand with grub screws and diligent use of loctite for both. C02 Pulley screws are small and spurs need constant check of transmission hub screws (the short ones).

Both pretty cars, neither stripped gears, v10 has sprung rebound shocks.. Neither have a G4LE manual, they are race spec cars and best suit established kit. I think the V10 back end needs a redesign with so many screws, C02 2speed clutch shoe is small and deserves special attention.

h
Old 03-25-2012, 08:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hey Andrew,

BRitish Menace

We would love to see you in FL for the Nationals . Seeing it is my home state with A LOT of talent here, the C01/C02 seems to be the car 75% of the top drivers own. The top 5 in the FL FORGASS series are all Capricorn except for one V10. Either car would be a good move but to future proof yourself with the weight change coming up. I would take the Capricorn
Old 03-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

BM
Something to think about in making your choice is parts availability. Thats usually one of the biggest factors for most. But even one step better is that if you do decide to come to the Nationals, Greg and Melanie that run Nuggets are the importers of Shepherd. And I can vouch the guys racing Shepherd are some of the most helpful Ive raced with. Good racing.

Steve

Kevco Racing, Shepherd Velox, Picco Torque
Old 03-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by esckalayd
We would love to see you in FL for the Nationals . Seeing it is my home state with A LOT of talent here, the C01/C02 seems to be the car 75% of the top drivers own. The top 5 in the FL FORGASS series are all Capricorn except for one V10. Either car would be a good move but to future proof yourself with the weight change coming up. I would take the Capricorn
Thats good info' to have and very helpful, thankyou. It will be interesting to see how you get on with the V10 after you have been able to spend some time developing set up etc.

One question I do have on parts availability of the Capricorn car. Do they have a US distributor yet? I see Kamakazi sells the car both the Lab C-01 and 02 but are they the only ones?

Capricorn Aus' are very helpful and full of info' on the car but how quick can we get parts here in the US from there?

Thanks again on the reply. Its been a while since I drove 1/10th in anger and no-doubt the pace will have picked up considerably. But I would still plan on going to Florida.

BM
Old 03-25-2012, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by esckalayd
yes. I understand the Capricorn has no problem getting under the 1700g weight limit, does the Velox run a little heavier then?

One thought. What going on with upgrades on both these cars, are people like YBSlow getting involved there?
Excuse me if after market companies are reading this thread and I speak this way but I have only just started researching these two cars and been away from Nitro for some 4 years or so, forgive my ignorance on you guys involvement in these two cars.

British Menace
Old 03-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

CapricornRC USA

Desoto Racing is committed to providing excellent service and support to all Capricorn RC customers throughout the Americas.
Contact Information: Phone: 305 - 677-3253 Email: [email protected]
Old 03-25-2012, 11:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

yes. I understand the Capricorn has no problem getting under the 1700g weight limit, does the Velox run a little heavier then?

One thought. What going on with upgrades on both these cars, are people like YBSlow getting involved there?
Excuse me if after market companies are reading this thread and I speak this way but I have only just started researching these two cars and been away from Nitro for some 4 years or so, forgive my ignorance on you guys involvement in these two cars.

British Menace
A little heavier than the Capricorn but still lighter than the other competitors. Desoto Racing is a US distributor as well out of Miami FL.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:26 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks Jason and the rest of you guys for the info'

I'll do a little more looking around.
Whats with no reciever box on the cars these day .... does it create much of a problem? I recal having issues with no box on the G4 too.
Any interesting upgrades for either cars out there that are working? Lightweight drivetrain etc?

Regards to all
BM
Old 03-25-2012, 04:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The only upgrade I would recommend is the wire type front anti roll bar, it's very easy to setup and it just feels better.
For serieus racing you can also consider the aluminum clutch bell, this makes the clutch even better.

Depending on your electronics setup and local rules you will need to add weight to the car, for most the brass battery tray and some side weights for balancing is enough. When you are running a lightweight battery you probably want the heavy engine mounts as well.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DS Motorsport
The only upgrade I would recommend is the wire type front anti roll bar, it's very easy to setup and it just feels better.
For serieus racing you can also consider the aluminum clutch bell, this makes the clutch even better.

Depending on your electronics setup and local rules you will need to add weight to the car, for most the brass battery tray and some side weights for balancing is enough. When you are running a lightweight battery you probably want the heavy engine mounts as well.
Hey Daan,
Thanks for that..... good to know. I knew the car was lighter then the new weight just wasn't sure how much. I've always liked having a light car then being able to add weight where you need it for balancing or low on the centre line.

Thanks again Daan
Old 03-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

Does anyone know if the Velox comes in under 1700g if you run the "light stuff" and a Li-Po battery too?

BM
Old 03-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

Hey Andrew,

BRitish Menace
Anthony,

Is very tempting, maybe i can come over and see our agents Indianapolis and have a paid trip to the states.

Do like the shocks on the Velox V10, clutch is a bit rubbish though and some of the plastic on the car looks alot like Associated from the NTC3.

Andrew

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.