Wiki Posts
Search

.18 Touring Car Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 01:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default .18 Touring Car Racing

I would like to get everyones opinion on starting a new class, .18 outlaw class. With the new .18TZ and other .18 engines do you think your ready to go faster in a touring car?
Would this class be for the Pro driver? who would be intrested?
Old 01-22-2005, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There are a lot of .12 engines with a lot more power than the .18 motor from OS. I don't doubt it would be cheaper to run the .18s but you won't be faster on a large track. They aren't built for that.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Joe......I think you ought to get OS to make a big power 12 thats a legal engine....whatever happened to the tr r spec motor...and OS's supposed commitment to rival the nova based engines(in a 12 size).......

Besides that issue........I'm sticking with RB motors....I ran a TRTurbo in my r40...thing didn't last long...was very disapointed in its piston life(nice,and NO warranty)...........and trust me......it wasn't a fuel issue...or warm up,OR after run oil........I guess there really isn't anything like Italian chrome.....

Last edited by fastharry™; 01-23-2005 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by fastharry
I guess there really isn't anything like Italian chrome.....
Not sure about that. Many of the top guys running the Italian motors are sticking in Russian Chrome
Old 01-23-2005, 12:00 PM
Tech Master

OS will have some new .12 power plants out this spring. I think that you will forget about the expensive Italian power plants when the new .12's hit the market.
The TR R-Spec was just a filler engine.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Racing4Evo
There are a lot of .12 engines with a lot more power than the .18 motor from OS. I don't doubt it would be cheaper to run the .18s but you won't be faster on a large track. They aren't built for that.
The .18TZ engines have more power than most .21 engines and they were designed for racing.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by Palmaris Europe
Not sure about that. Many of the top guys running the Italian motors are sticking in Russian Chrome
Old 01-24-2005, 10:56 AM
Tech Champion

Default Re: .18 Touring Car Racing

Originally posted by gijoe64
I would like to get everyones opinion on starting a new class, .18 outlaw class. With the new .18TZ and other .18 engines do you think your ready to go faster in a touring car?
Would this class be for the Pro driver? who would be intrested?
Only if you can drive nicely with .18TZ
Old 01-24-2005, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: .18 Touring Car Racing

Originally posted by asw7576
Only if you can drive nicely with .18TZ
Ask Steve Pond he loves it in his Kyosho touring car
I can't wate to try this motor out in my FWO5RR. I think it will be a blast.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:03 PM
Tech Adept

Not that dyno numbers mean alot but steve pond dynoed the .18 tz at 2.28 hp and max 42500 rpm. I would really like to see a .12 engine come close to that. If you find it please let me know! Actual hp is kind of a myth on these small engines but when you look at all of the engines dynoed on the same machine you can see which ones are above the crowd. The new tz looks to be a big block monster in a small block case putting out small block rpm.

Gijoe I have been looking at this engine for the past few weeks and cant find any info on the Japanese web page (im in japan) Is this engine only usa version?

I badly want to slap one in my rrr and see it take off!
Old 01-24-2005, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

again..let me add.........I don't see OS motors lasting as long as an Italian based motor.......Ask any 21 owner....in fact,lets start a new thread........OS or Rossi....which is higher quality?..that OS 18 might fly....but it aint legal......and it won't last long....
Old 01-24-2005, 11:19 PM
Tech Champion

Performance and Quality wise maybe novarossi is better, but not the price. You get what you paid for in .12 class engines.

Longevity depends how do you treat the engine. Good maintenance and reasonable use will extend engine life last longer.

However, .18TZ is really value for money $190 !!! Very good for bashing or just for fun race. Fasten your seatbelt !
Old 01-25-2005, 10:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'd be all for it. Everybody can't afford a RB, Novarossi, Mugen, etc. And unfortunately, if you want to be anywhere near the podium these days, that's what you need. If you only have, say, two classes at your track, or just one, you won't have a chance. Is it fair to cut the guy that can drive the hell out of his .12 TR equpied car, but can't run doen that NS12 or the modded X12 someone else has? That's the senario I'm facing this coming season. I've looked at the new Mega line and the RDLogics R3, but realize they probably won't be quite enough to finish 5th.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:34 PM
Tech Adept

I kind of disagree with some of the statements above (that os engines dont last long) All of my os engines have very long lives. When I compare them to some of the italian mills they seem to be on par as far as life span. When you start comparing the new microcast pistons the os engines have a longer life. I think what people may be seeing is the a nova etc italian mill can drop a bit of power and still be very fast. The os engines are not as fast so if they drop a bit of power it is more noticable. In comparison they are not so different in terms of life. I have a .12 tr that is around the 7 gallon mark on 2nd conrod and it is still very fast. In addition it never flames out, holds a tune forever, and never overheats.
If OS is able to put out a mill with more power and rpm with the same os trademark qualities I will stop going to the Italian name engines that cost way too much.

just my opinion but there it is.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:36 PM
Tech Champion

O.S. engines actually is good engine because it's hard to flame out. JP and Novarossi need very carefull tuning in order to get rid off flame out problem, and this is hard for beginers to tune without experts help.

About power inadequacy compare to NSR engines, well..... I'm speechless. Perhaps it needs additional porting mods, or use higher nitro as the simplest solution.

Some O.S. runners said the hotter the better, but I don't know the maximum temp. for that statement.

In tropical countries (high humidity) where my friends and I race periodically, some racers prefer 90C ( lame ) and some racers all the way to 120C

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.