R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-25-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default HPI Nitro rs4 RTR3 Evo wont stay running

I am near my wits end with this one. I am working on this for a friend who said he has always had trouble with keeping it running once it starts. What happens is when you hold the glow plug starter to it, it runs fine, and will stay running, but as soon as you pull it off, it shuts off. I was thinking glow plug, but several have already been tried, and they glow bright orangish/yellowish when outside of the motor and connected to the starter. I have also made sure it is seated properly when installed. The starter has been fully charged several times. I made sure the fuel line was primed and with no bubbles. I also made sure the throttle was opened as described in the manual. I went through the rich/lean and idle adjustments frontways and sideways a couple times, as well as setting back to factory settings and working from there. It isnt making any strange noises, blowing any smoke, etc. I am debating suggesting he take it to a professional at this point.
Any ideas?
Hawk312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hmmm.... I would have thought the glow plug as well.

Have you tried the glow plugs in another engine?

Are all of the glow plugs new or were they all used?

Does the car run with the glow plug starter attached? Don't go very far or very fast, as it will fly right off and you can dent it.

And just to throw it out there, what number glow plug and what % nitro are you using?
Nitro Knowledge Base: http://nitrokb.netne.net
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/nitrokb -> Lots of on-road nitro & eletric action + some off-road as well
My Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nitrokb/
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

maybe bad fuel or an air leak
PR Racing Bellgate Distributors
Caster Racing Parts
311 RC Graphics
markt311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

had the same problem with mine, the cold weather doesnt help at all, just gotta find the sweet spot with the fuel on the hsn, and make sure plug is good, what fuel and number plug u using
hazeman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

I just bought one too and I had a heck of a time getting it to start as well. I am new so I didn't want to break it since I had no idea what I was doing. It was getting stuck at top dead center. Make sure that it is not flooded he had taken the glow plug out about half way and turned the motor over a bunch of times. That took the unneeded fuel out of the system. I then adjusted the trim on my controller and turned it up a bit so it was more open. Still had no luck. He then took the entire air filter connection off put a drop of fuel directly in there and after a few more cranks it seemed to work. I don't know that I would want to try the last part if you are like me and new to this. But after that it started nicely, I find the biggest thing is the trim on the controller. Just make sure that you have something in front of it so it won't drive away. Have fun!
triggerhappym4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:54 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks for the ideas guys. Not sure about the number of the plug or the type of fuel....I am just assuming he knew what he was buying. But I`ll see if that`s a possibility.
I noticed that the throttle shaft, the one with the round opening, can slide left to right, and thus not remain centered on the surrounding hole for fuel and air. Is that normal?
Hawk312 is offline   Reply With Quote