Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Evolva 2nd Gear >

Evolva 2nd Gear

Evolva 2nd Gear

Old 01-14-2005, 10:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Evolva 2nd Gear

Hi guys,
I was at Rev. Raceway last night, with my new Evolva, trying to dial it in for the 1st time on the track and I ran into a problem. I started to break the 2nd gear pinion on the clutch endbell. I broke 3 of them last night and my pocket book wasn't happy lol. I checked the gear mesh, that was good. I checked the movement on the endbell and it seemed like it had alot of play. I'm thinking the gear was moving over and hitting the spur but the spur had no marks on it. weird..... I didnt over tighten the gear i just hand tightened. Someone at the track told me some of you guys had the same problem. Whats going on ? HELP .....
ty..
Old 01-14-2005, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You actually want to use a tool to tighten that gear. If you hand tighten the gear they tend to explode.(Rich Brown told me..Thanks Rich).

Last edited by C Verano; 01-14-2005 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Thanks Chris. Making sure "second" gear is tool tightened will stop the "breaking" issue. On the subject - but not related to gear breaking, You might make sure you have end play across your two speed shaft. It should move at least .030" left to right. I do mean across the shaft. If the assemblies are tight - the car will not shift consistently (that's a Mark Blacketter trick)
Old 01-14-2005, 11:33 AM
Tech Rookie

I tool tighened the 1st 2 gears and they exploded. The third one I hand tightened. I'll try the .030 play on the shaft and see if that works.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Rich,

When are the rest of your hop-up parts going to be available?

Chris
Old 01-14-2005, 01:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally posted by Rich Browne
Thanks Chris. Making sure "second" gear is tool tightened will stop the "breaking" issue. On the subject - but not related to gear breaking, You might make sure you have end play across your two speed shaft. It should move at least .030" left to right. I do mean across the shaft. If the assemblies are tight - the car will not shift consistently (that's a Mark Blacketter trick)
Rich is right, I was told to do this with the 2 speed shaft also so that the pinion wouldnt break
Old 01-14-2005, 02:53 PM
Tech Master

Chris,

The rest of the items will be ready in two weeks:
The Sway, The Stiffener, The Grip and The Mount. The Tensioner and our Bando Belts are available now. The Belts are UK or Urethane Kevlar. They are tough. empirercracing.com (the site is now working)

Back to the gears. Yes, you should make both adjustments, to save second gear. Plus, check your two speed shaft - it may be bent - the steel ones bend quite readily.
We are running steel, 21 tooth, second gears.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:41 PM
Tech Rookie

OK RICH I'll get the steel 21 tooth pinion and as far as the shaft it's the one that came w/ the car and the car hasnt been on the track. So I dont think it's bent. But i'll check it....