R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-31-2013, 03:17 PM   #751
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Hawk View Post
Track looks Awesome!!! Was there carnage trying to get into pit lane?
O there was carnage those boards are not forgiving
Old 07-31-2013, 05:25 PM   #752
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default gT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky 1 View Post
I have been reading through a lot of this now that I have a Cobra on the way. It sounds like I will have my work cut out to get this car hooked up. Glad to see all the info that has been put here. Another snake in the pits.
Any of the set ups online should work fine. The trick "at least for me" is the droop settings, and springs. I added the LRP arm braces this weekend and my lap times went down .5 a lap! well worth the investment. IMO.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:26 PM   #753
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylunatic View Post
O there was carnage those boards are not forgiving
+1

Old 07-31-2013, 06:36 PM   #754
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsquish View Post
If anyone might be interested it is now a open motor. After last year "they" (whoever that is) decided to open the motor rule.
I too am pretty disappointed this is the open engine direction this class is heading. This is not just one event or one location.

There is no way anyone can convince me this will grow or even sustain participation numbers.
MRX4-X F180 Cobra Zipper Kart Yokomo BD Cup Racer FM1e Recoil M18 Pro Scalpel dNaNo Baja 5b SS 5T HB D8 Vorza ERevo Savage Flux SCX10 GT2 T4 Slash Ten SCTE Blitz ESE HB Cyclone D4 Mini ERevo Vendetta ST Mini T Micro T
TC_Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:34 PM   #755
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Tuner View Post
I too am pretty disappointed this is the open engine direction this class is heading. This is not just one event or one location.

There is no way anyone can convince me this will grow or even sustain participation numbers.
Have you looked at the entries for GT at any of the races this year?? every race has GT as the biggest and most competitive class, usually double any other nitro class. There has not been one complaint and no drama about it definitely the way to go. Otherwise you have super modded "250.00" engines with 200.00 in mod work( i know , i have done this for many customers!!). And you still have to figure out a way to police the rule.In fact the only race I have been tech'd at this year was homestead! Its here to stay, embrace it
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:58 PM   #756
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Tuner View Post

I hear ya, open motor AND open tire Only sponsored drivers can afford it. Blowing through a set of tires in 10 min??? It's making 1/8 Open not seem so bad But the TZGP will play the game with Open motors, but Spec Tires.

Ryan N

TomAHawk Racing - On-Time Services - XRay Racing - Sweep Racing - RoseCityScaleRacing.com - Timezone Racing,
9th Annual Timezone Grand Prix July 13th-16th 2017!
T-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:09 PM   #757
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
I hear ya, open motor AND open tire Only sponsored drivers can afford it. Blowing through a set of tires in 10 min??? It's making 1/8 Open not seem so bad But the TZGP will play the game with Open motors, but Spec Tires.

Ryan N
Old 08-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #758
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:

Ryan N
I think a lot of the negativity towards a motor limit comes from locations that are running 8th scale as well. Locally here in Utah GT8 is the biggest fastest class and also has the least drama. Basically all we care about is it weighs 3500 Grams and has a .21 to .28 in it. It's funny to see drivers like Gus and myself are actually running some of the cheapest motors on the track due to buy motors specifically for TZGP. The newer guys are showing up with Romas to Bonitos. We still take 1 and 2 most of the time and that comes down to driver. Motor does make a difference however it is a great balance due to the weight of the car. You can Run 21 and get top end with run time or you can go towards the 28 and get loads or power with shorter run time. Either way you gain and loose something based on a choice you make. I love it, open is the way to go. At 3500 Grams it doesn't make that big of a difference and saves us tearing down motors to spec. It also keeps the "cheap" aspect as you don't have to buy a new motor based on the dollar amount assigned.

Running spec tire I am okay with, if a company wants to go out of their way to put on an event or support an event they should have the right to spec their tires. Its how that company makes the race worth their investment. Drivers trying their tires creates opportunities for new customers.
TerribleTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #759
Tech Regular

Below is a video from last year's Great Lakes Challenge. If you skip to 1:55 you will see Joaquin DeSoto Jr. setting TQ with his Serpent! GT class should be even better this year!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uab8c0wncc
www.ToledoOneEighthRacers.com
Serpent Natrix 748, Revenge .12, Desoto Racing, Futaba
JJBinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #760
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

For those of you who love the realism of the 1/8 GT cars. Please bring your cars and support this awesome class and also support the great tradition of GLC. Thank you Jon, it was a great video!
bassman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #761
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleTy View Post
I think a lot of the negativity towards a motor limit comes from locations that are running 8th scale as well. Locally here in Utah GT8 is the biggest fastest class and also has the least drama. Basically all we care about is it weighs 3500 Grams and has a .21 to .28 in it. It's funny to see drivers like Gus and myself are actually running some of the cheapest motors on the track due to buy motors specifically for TZGP. The newer guys are showing up with Romas to Bonitos. We still take 1 and 2 most of the time and that comes down to driver. Motor does make a difference however it is a great balance due to the weight of the car. You can Run 21 and get top end with run time or you can go towards the 28 and get loads or power with shorter run time. Either way you gain and loose something based on a choice you make. I love it, open is the way to go. At 3500 Grams it doesn't make that big of a difference and saves us tearing down motors to spec. It also keeps the "cheap" aspect as you don't have to buy a new motor based on the dollar amount assigned.

Running spec tire I am okay with, if a company wants to go out of their way to put on an event or support an event they should have the right to spec their tires. Its how that company makes the race worth their investment. Drivers trying their tires creates opportunities for new customers.
+1 exactly

Tire wear is becoming a factor though but it also becomes a strategy, Most cant afford buy 2 or 3 sets of tires to make it through a race weekend. But this also depends on the track condition, you just dont know until you get there. Luna's car does not wear tires at all , Jones wears faster than Tony's but not that bad , I have seen Daniel wear through a set of sweeps faster than Alphas normally do somehow. so Setup plays a role. All out fast will wear the front tires for sure!
Old 08-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #762
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
+1 exactly

Tire wear is becoming a factor though but it also becomes a strategy, Most cant afford buy 2 or 3 sets of tires to make it through a race weekend. But this also depends on the track condition, you just dont know until you get there. Luna's car does not wear tires at all , Jones wears faster than Tony's but not that bad , I have seen Daniel wear through a set of sweeps faster than Alphas normally do somehow. so Setup plays a role. All out fast will wear the front tires for sure!
I like the spec tire rule. I ran the same set of tires all weekend at the TZGP and the tires still have some life left in them....
Old 08-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #763
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I think that's the point of "OPEN" to keep the realism of actual racing strategy. It allows for ones creative mind to explore new avenues, trying to get better and faster.

I'm definitely not one to follow trends, I enjoy being innovative and creative in my hobby/sport I love. Example this past weekend I was testing Sweep Battle Star 50s treaded tires, while putting them on my car in the pits a fellow racers comes by and says "your going to run Treaded?" my immediate response was "well Ya Why Not".
I actually had my best qualifier run with them and the car felt really good!

Let all just stay OPEN MINDED and have some fun.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #764
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Branch View Post
I like the spec tire rule. I ran the same set of tires all weekend at the TZGP and the tires still have some life left in them....

I am still running the same set of sweep 50's that i ran the entire weekend in Joliet!! The center line is still on them and they are fast as crap!!
Old 08-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #765
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
I am still running the same set of sweep 50's that i ran the entire weekend in Joliet!! The center line is still on them and they are fast as crap!!
I'm not too sure I'd like "........ fast crap".

Sorry Marcus .... couldn't help myself

BM