R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #451
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 598
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

So my cars done. Saved the shocks for last and did them today. My rear shock bolts won't push all the way into the rear arms. Either inner or outer hole. When I say won't push in all the way I mean there sticking out 1/4 inch. The set screw grabbed the bolt so the bolts secure and seems like it won't pull out but I'm wondering why it's like this. All the pics iv seen the bolts push all the way in. Thanks
__________________
Brett Adams
Mugen MGT7
o.s. savox futaba
66 Box Nova all motor LSX
1966ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #452
Tech Elite
 
evostyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 3,679
Trader Rating: 102 (98%+)
Default

Sweep Racing GT8 GT slicks with ROK wheel NEW mounted
__________________
"If you no longer go for the gap that exist, you are no longer racing". Ayrton Senna
evostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #453
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966ss View Post
So my cars done. Saved the shocks for last and did them today. My rear shock bolts won't push all the way into the rear arms. Either inner or outer hole. When I say won't push in all the way I mean there sticking out 1/4 inch. The set screw grabbed the bolt so the bolts secure and seems like it won't pull out but I'm wondering why it's like this. All the pics iv seen the bolts push all the way in. Thanks
Ive seen that on a few of the newer batch as well but as long as the set screw is in the machined area it should be ok. On mine they go all in.
jneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #454
Tech Regular
 
D.a.v.e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South East, Michigan
Posts: 463
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Mine is the same way.. Serpent told me it was a carry over that allowed the mud flaps on the buggys. I asked if they sold a part that fit correctly and got asked why I would want such a thing? Thought it was a bit dumb that they put extra effort over the competition on things like bearings on the sway bars and the little screws that hold the bearings in on the inside of the diff cases then they just leave these hanging out?
D.a.v.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #455
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 598
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.a.v.e View Post
Mine is the same way.. Serpent told me it was a carry over that allowed the mud flaps on the buggys. I asked if they sold a part that fit correctly and got asked why I would want such a thing? Thought it was a bit dumb that they put extra effort over the competition on things like bearings on the sway bars and the little screws that hold the bearings in on the inside of the diff cases then they just leave these hanging out?
Lolol totally with ya. Cars a sweet looking ride and that looks like shit!!! I was thinking about putting the mud flaps on lol
__________________
Brett Adams
Mugen MGT7
o.s. savox futaba
66 Box Nova all motor LSX
1966ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #456
Tech Addict
 
Thunderbunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 707
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.a.v.e View Post
Mine is the same way.. Serpent told me it was a carry over that allowed the mud flaps on the buggys. I asked if they sold a part that fit correctly and got asked why I would want such a thing? Thought it was a bit dumb that they put extra effort over the competition on things like bearings on the sway bars and the little screws that hold the bearings in on the inside of the diff cases then they just leave these hanging out?
It's just not cost effecient to re-engineer something that makes no difference what so ever. I'm sure you noticed that there were unused items on a few of the part trees that were intended for the offroad buggy. It is cheaper for us and them to give extra parts than it would be make new trees just for the GT. Not only is Serpent in the buisness of making quality cars, but they are also in the buisness to make money.
__________________
Chris Jones a.k.a. "Black Jesus"
O.S. l Airtronics l RSD l
DeSoto Racing l Gulf Coast Raceway Porter,Tx
Thunderbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #457
Tech Regular
 
D.a.v.e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South East, Michigan
Posts: 463
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbunny View Post
It's just not cost effecient to re-engineer something that makes no difference what so ever. I'm sure you noticed that there were unused items on a few of the part trees that were intended for the offroad buggy. It is cheaper for us and them to give extra parts than it would be make new trees just for the GT. Not only is Serpent in the buisness of making quality cars, but they are also in the buisness to make money.
I'm all for someone making money, however this is really a short cut/cop out. To have such a polished product and leave this literately hanging out is odd. Its such an obvious thing.. anyone that walks over and looks at the car asks about it or points out something is wrong... When all the other parts fit perfect and toward the end of the build it leaves folks wondering if they did something wrong putting it together?

Personally I'm planning to grind off the end and put in a new flat spot on the pin to correct this & avoid anymore comments.
D.a.v.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #458
Tech Initiate
 
Dortiz68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.a.v.e View Post
I'm all for someone making money, however this is really a short cut/cop out. To have such a polished product and leave this literately hanging out is odd. Its such an obvious thing.. anyone that walks over and looks at the car asks about it or points out something is wrong... When all the other parts fit perfect and toward the end of the build it leaves folks wondering if they did something wrong putting it together?

Personally I'm planning to grind off the end and put in a new flat spot on the pin to correct this & avoid anymore comments.
In terms of function, the pin works perfectly. It doesn't move at all despite the gap. I questioned this myself for a minute but you literally cannot more the pin any further and the set screw finds the groove in the pin perfectly. The pin function as it should. If the form bothers you then by all means customize it but by the end of this day I don't think it's a strike against the product or manufacturer. Doesn't bother me much and personally makes it super easy to pull out vs a flush pin head when it's time to change shock oils or position.
Dortiz68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #459
Tech Fanatic
 
Julius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Amsterdam Netherlands
Posts: 960
Default

Well, at least it is a testament to the quality of the car! If the pin is the most important issue of the car, the rest must be very good!
__________________
Team Serpent, Xceed, Sanwa, LRP
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #460
Tech Addict
 
Thunderbunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 707
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dortiz68 View Post
Doesn't bother me much and personally makes it super easy to pull out vs a flush pin head when it's time to change shock oils or position.
+1
__________________
Chris Jones a.k.a. "Black Jesus"
O.S. l Airtronics l RSD l
DeSoto Racing l Gulf Coast Raceway Porter,Tx
Thunderbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:54 AM   #461
Tech Fanatic
 
mcsquish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Live at work, play in Toledo, OH
Posts: 826
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

So I know this is the Serpent GT thread, but I figure mose of you are running the Alpha tire. Can anyone tell me a temp range for the compounds? Where I race during the season the air temp can be from the high 50's F up above 100F... I have been running Sweep tires (45's & 50's), but I want to try some of the Alphas.
I should be getting a Cobra so I want to make sure I get the correct tires while I'm on a spending spree.
Thanks
__________________
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Dirt Burners Racing - R.I.P. BB / Kolors by Kropy / CEFX / One Eighth Racers

Last edited by mcsquish; 03-28-2013 at 11:31 AM.
mcsquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #462
Tech Regular
 
Team STPN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Roseville, Cal
Posts: 317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsquish View Post
So I know this is the Serpent GT thread, but I figure mose of you are running the Alpha tire. Can anyone tell me a temp range for the compounds? Where I race during the season the air temp can be from the high 50's F up above 100F... I have been running Sweep tires (45's & 50's), but I want to try some of the Alphas.
I should be getting a Cobra so I want to make sure I get the correct tires while I'm on a spending spree.
Thanks

Medium - (up to 55 C) up to 131 degrees

Soft -(up to 45 C)up to 113 degress

I have run soft when the track temp was hotter than 113 degress with no fall of on speed or traction.
Team STPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #463
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsquish View Post
So I know this is the Serpent GT thread, but I figure mose of you are running the Alpha tire. Can anyone tell me a temp range for the compounds? Where I race during the season the air temp can be from the high 50's F up above 100F... I have been running Sweep tires (45's & 50's), but I want to try some of the Alphas.
I should be getting a Cobra so I want to make sure I get the correct tires while I'm on a spending spree.
Thanks
Soft & Ultra Soft are the most popular and what you will use most of the time. Medium is for a long main or when super hot. If in doubt run Soft. It has great traction and can run a 30-45 main at most tracks.

Compounds (from softest to hardest)

Qualy
5-10 min runs, 80 deg or less

Ultra Soft
5-30 min runs

Soft
works in most conditions, best overall, very good durability, best wear vs. traction performance

Medium
very hot temps. 30+ minute mains
desotoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #464
Tech Fanatic
 
mcsquish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Live at work, play in Toledo, OH
Posts: 826
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Thank you very much for the information!
__________________
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Dirt Burners Racing - R.I.P. BB / Kolors by Kropy / CEFX / One Eighth Racers
mcsquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #465
Tech Elite
 
Rick Vessell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Mars
Posts: 2,239
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Hmm.....
__________________
Futaba, O.S. Engines, Tornado Fuel, Schumacher Racing, SpeedPassion USA, Eggroll Inc., Desoto Racing, Vesselli Racing
Rick Vessell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sweep Racing Tires 1/8th GT thread SweepRacingUSA Nitro On-Road 782 12-04-2016 06:09 PM
GT class--buggy-based on road! duneland Nitro On-Road 9643 11-16-2016 04:11 AM
Serpent 811 Cobra Buggy Preston777 Nitro Off-Road 11732 04-22-2016 11:59 AM
2010 Ipanema US GT Nationals September 3rd through 5th JLock Racing Forum 220 11-01-2010 06:05 PM


Tags
serpent 977, serpent cobra


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:13 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0