R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #421
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desotoracing View Post
We normally run 200k in the front and around 60k in the rear
Does changing out the wheel hex's improve steering as well? Looks like the online setup are going with -1 in the front and +2 in the rear? Just wondering what this change makes?
D.a.v.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #422
C@T
Tech Adept

Less trackwith on the front does increase steering.

More on the rear will work same way, increasing the difference in trackwith between front and rear
C@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #423
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by team mugen View Post
Can anyone suggest a good diff and shock setup for the Nitro serpent GT. I tried the box setup but its so much understeer. Pushing on and off power. The track we are playing is a fast asphalt track with couple of Uturns and long straight. Thanks guys . I tried different sweep tires depends on the temp of the track but i am still not satisfied with the way the car turns.
Check the tension on your servo saver spring. I am using the optional "hard" servo saver spring, which I set up pretty tight. My undeersteer issues went away after this change.

I use 200k in the front diff and 40k in the rear. As to the shocks I run 1000 cps fluid in front and rear and use the machined 8 hole 1.1mm shock disks front/rear. Springs are track/surface dependent.

Hope this helps!
Erchur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:33 AM   #424
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erchur View Post
Check the tension on your servo saver spring. I am using the optional "hard" servo saver spring, which I set up pretty tight. My undeersteer issues went away after this change.

I use 200k in the front diff and 40k in the rear. As to the shocks I run 1000 cps fluid in front and rear and use the machined 8 hole 1.1mm shock disks front/rear. Springs are track/surface dependent.

Hope this helps!
Hey bro, thanks for the info. I changed my servo spring now with the hard one. Will test the car tomorrow. Thanks
Old 03-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #425
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Does anyone know if there are any anticipated changes for 2013? A new kit, upgraded parts, etc?
Arboleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #426
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

In speaking with Serpent America/Desoto Racing at the Grand Prix Race in Homestead, FL in January.
I was told that a major effort was made to just introduce the Cobra GT to the market. Furthermore that Serpent has no plans or upgrades in the works.

But I would like to announce that Lunatic Racing Products "LRP" & RCshox have been making and testing several upgrade products to improve the Serpent Cobra GT. These new upgrades will be announced very soon and be available for purchase at Gt8sports.com and Rcshox.com.

**Rcshox.com actually added The New 2Stage shock pistons for the Cobra GT a few days ago and are available Now!!

**Gt8sports.com is still in the process of adding all their inventory and products to site, and will be 100% very soon.

Last edited by tonylunatic; 03-04-2013 at 11:59 AM.
tonylunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #427
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Would someone mind explaining what 2 stage pistons are please?
CDS70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #428
C@T
Tech Adept

Have a look at www.rcshox.com

It is a piston made out of two parts, a fixed one attached to the rod as usual and a second one combined with it. The second one, having a slightly smaller diameter can slightly move up and down, driven by the movement of the piston.

Having different size of holes in both does lead to a change in the damping based on the direction the piston is moving.

Compressing the shock will show more damping than expanding it. Just like real car shocks should do.
C@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #429
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylunatic View Post
In speaking with Serpent America/Desoto Racing at the Grand Prix Race in Homestead, FL in January.
I was told that a major effort was made to just introduce the Cobra GT to the market. Furthermore that Serpent has no plans or upgrades in the works.

But I would like to announce that Lunatic Racing Products "LRP" & RCshox have been making and testing several upgrade products to improve the Serpent Cobra GT. These new upgrades will be announced very soon and be available for purchase at Gt8sports.com and Rcshox.com.

**Rcshox.com actually added The New 2Stage shock pistons for the Cobra GT a few days ago and are available Now!!

**Gt8sports.com is still in the process of adding all their inventory and products to site, and will be 100% very soon.
I have not looked yet but was wondering if any of the new 2.0 parts would benefit this kit?
D.a.v.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #430
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDS70 View Post
Would someone mind explaining what 2 stage pistons are please?
C@T almost got it perfect but the OD of the pistons is the same on both, damping and rebound is controlled by hole sizes and oil viscosity.

2 stage pistons allow you to control compression or rebound via hole sizes.in normal configuration which gives faster rebound, the upper piston "floats". On compression the pistons come together and block off the vent hole giving you a stiffer compression rate. When the shock goes in to rebound the pistons seperate exposing the larger holes in the lower piston and the excess flow goes through the vent holes. In application this increase straight line traction as it is quick to shift weight to the rear or side to side. The car will transition much quicker because the inside of the car will rise quicker than the outside will fall which puts more pressure on the outside tire thus giving you faster corner speed. Testing has gone very well, over the next few weeks more of the "top dogs " will have them for testing! Watch the orange car closely especially on the slow motion section ( may have to watch it a few times!) but you can see the difference between the two cars! Tony now runs them on his Serpent Cobra as well.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Mantisworx?feature=mhee
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #431
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.a.v.e View Post
I have not looked yet but was wondering if any of the new 2.0 parts would benefit this kit?
Do you mean the buggy v2.0 parts? Although most parts to come straight from the buggy some where designed just for the GT.

Serpent buggy upgrades I use and recommend:
V2 inner diff gears
Buggy 0* aluminum steering arms
10* buggy caster blocks
Hard steering spring
Option 2 steering rack

I have a couple other upgrades, not available because they didn't make it to final production. But they are not needed makes car super under weight for racing minimum of 3500 grams.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #432
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Thanks gents, makes sense. will be interesting to see how successful it is.
CDS70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #433
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Since I may be switching to a Cobra, what is the body of choice? Is it the R3 that Desoto Racing has, or is there something better out there? Thanks!

Dirt Burners Racing - R.I.P. BB / Kolors by Kropy / CEFX / One Eighth Racers
mcsquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #434
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsquish View Post
Since I may be switching to a Cobra, what is the body of choice? Is it the R3 that Desoto Racing has, or is there something better out there? Thanks!
Alph R3
http://www.serpentamerica.com/shop/p...cat=115&page=1
Thunderbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #435
Tech Addict

Does this car come with the 150cc tank yet?
66 Box Nova all motor LSX
1966ss is offline   Reply With Quote