Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Team C 1/8 GT car >

Team C 1/8 GT car

Team C 1/8 GT car

Old 05-21-2013, 05:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Last edited by spooky 1; 05-22-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Last edited by MantisWorx; 05-22-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Last edited by spooky 1; 05-22-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Tech Regular

Marcus,

I beg to differ on quite a few of your comments regarding the Serpent Cobra GT. And please keep in mind that I have been through my share of OFNA GT and Kyosho GT cars and have experienced the headaches with braking and transmission issues on both brands.

I built my Cobra GT last year when it was first released and have ZERO upgrades on my car and yes I do race competatively. I still have the stock brakes and plastic transmission braces and have had no brake fade nor have I stripped a single gear. As a matter of fact I have yet to have to replace a pinion or spur gear or any part on my car (except clutch shoes). One thing I have noticed on the Cobra GT, as opposed to the other kits I have had from OFNA and Kyosho, is the precision of how well the gear mesh can be set on the Cobra. It is absolutely perfect and I notice my pinions have yet to get knife edged as some of the other kits I've had have done. The Cobra GT in my opinion is a great car bone stock and if you ask Arron he will he will let you know just how good my car is. He has been here to San Antonio at several of our club races and seen it in action. I've recently had some battery and servo issues that kept me out of a few races but I have since corrected the problem and have had no trouble staying out in front of Arron's Team C car (by quite a large margin).

I'm not knocking the Team C car because I've driven Aaron's and it was great to drive. I just know that the Cobra GT is a great car without any upgrades. And it's very low maintenance. Once you have your setup just clean off your tires, drop some fuel in and hit the track.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Tech Champion

Last edited by MantisWorx; 05-22-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:04 AM
Tech Regular

Okay, statement retraction. My first "hop-up" for my Cobra GT just arrived by mail. My Luna Racing Products arm stiffener set is here but they haven't been put on the car yet, so technically my Cobra GT still doesn't have any "hop-ups". LOL!.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:07 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by spooky 1
What pinions are you running to mesh up that 40t spur? You must have changed 1st gear spur as well. I have run 4,5, and 9 port engines with this car and felt undergeared in second with all of them. The 9 port did fine until you get on a very long track. Just dropped another $40 on gears for the tranny. Sharp pinions happen quick. Went through $50 in gears in L.A. alone. I'm not saying The Serpent will cure all ills, but having to drop hundreds and still modify a car to run stock gears is not right. At least Serpent has option gears available and they actually fit. I can say all this negative about the car I run because unlike you I have no sponsor ties to them and I'm not obligated to keep them in a good light. There is much to like about this car, and I will call it like I see it when there is a problem. When this car stays together it can be great to drive. You know as well as anyone that some bad choices in one-way bearings and gear mesh machining issues were not addressed on this car early on. The two speed springs were so tight you could not get this car to shift. Those are the little things that show careless R&D. I want to make this car good and reliable. The good part has been easy, but reliability has been a struggle to this point. I know you think I am not taking the time to make sure everything is right , but I have been through this car so completely over and over that I can do it in my sleep. I have had many problem free races with it and the Airtronics grand prix was an example. With the exception of feeling undergeared for that track, the car was flawless all that weekend. Without any changes it wouldn't stay together for this last trip down there. That inconsistency with it is what is making me cringe. I will leave this topic alone now and I will continue to work on what I guess is my problem only.
First let me say that Non of what i say is meant to be offensive to you or anyone else, there are always two side to every story

The pinion and spur gears have the same pitch diameter within each group. What that means is that the 45/46/47 have the same PD as well as the 41/42/43. Pinion gears are the same way, this way you can mix and match any combo. With that said my gear set (two gears) is matched perfectly with the 45/40t but you can use any first gear you want, just have to make sure you get a proper mesh. I run the kit pinions.

As i already said If you go buy a new car and think that its going to run with the best in stock form you are deeply mistaken and that is just a fact and this applies to ANY GT car out there In my opinion.

Last edited by MantisWorx; 05-22-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:09 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Speyederjedi
Okay, statement retraction. My first "hop-up" for my Cobra GT just arrived by mail. My Luna Racing Products arm stiffener set is here but they haven't been put on the car yet, so technically my Cobra GT still doesn't have any "hop-ups". LOL!.
BUsted!!
Old 05-22-2013, 11:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

if you ask Arron he will he will let you know just how good my car is.
You dont have to ask me to brag on ya, you do that well enough on your own.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:22 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
The difference is that you race on a small low grip parking lot track, I have seen the track and the stress levels are not the same as Mikes. I never said you MUST replace those parts but I promise that by changing the center mount and brakes the car will feel better and have better brakes. I Have witnessed Desoto team driver C Jones go through 3 second gears on his serpent in a day, so there are always incidents on both sides.That was my point. I will be at your track soon and will put that margin back in TeamC's favor by at least a lap

Marcus,

My only point was the Cobra GT is a great car bone stock and is very low maintenance. In no way am I knocking any other brand of kit. As I stated earlier, Aaron's Team C car was a blast to drive. It felt very planted and from what I've seen Aaron hasn't had any issues with the Team C car. It's simply my opinion that all the other GT cars have to put on upgrades (hop ups) in order to keep up with a stock Cobra GT (which makes it more cost effective to run the Cobra). And again, that's just my personal opinion.

Looking forward to the competition. Wish I could make it out to the Texas Biggie this weekend but my daughter has her graduation on Saturday. Hope to race with you soon in Austin or here in San Antonio. If you can beat me by more than a lap that would be amazing as my Cobra GT is putting down laps about .40 seconds a lap slower than my Xray NT1.

On another note, If C. Jones was burning through 2nd gear spurs at that rate he had a bad gear mesh, aligment problems with the 2 speed, or bearing problems in the 2 speed. Just sayin.

Regards,

D

Last edited by Speyederjedi; 05-22-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Rockin G
You dont have to ask me to brag on ya, you do that well enough on your own.
Hahaha! Good stuff Aaron. You gonna make it to the Biggie? I got daddy duty Saturday for my daughter's graduation but afterward I'm going to test and tune on my new Novarossi Kappo 21 Rally motor out at Al's. Did you see the July Southwest Series Race is gonna be out at Circuit of the Americas (COTA)? That's gonna be a blast!!! I'll have to be sure to make that one! See ya at the track soon.

Regards,

D
Old 05-22-2013, 11:29 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
BUsted!!

Marcus,

Hey, I still have to test them to even see if they are gonna stay on the car. HAHAHA!

Regards,

D
Old 05-22-2013, 11:37 AM
Tech Addict

I have ran everything from the Kyosho to both Team Cs and the Cobra GT. All have their ups and downs but the Serpent Cobra GT has never let me down. I started my GT journey with the Race Spec Kyosho and quickly found myself looking for steering and other things. I changed to the short chassis (777) and it was good.

Being a gear head I wanted to build a kit. Along came the Team C GT8L. The car was a huge step up for me and I loved it on the track. My kit came missing parts and was un-runnable out of the box. I shrugged it off and the parts came in the mail two weeks later. After getting it together I found the two speed to just flat out not work, the springs are too hard plain and simple. Easy fix and I was out racing again. Shortly after that short chassis kit showed up in my local shop. It went home with me and again I had issues with missing parts leaving the car un-runnable again. Of course I got parts in the mail again so it was okay I guess. Same issues two speed and then bam right before going to the Timezone GP last year the one way goes. Luckily for me I took both cars and my hobby shop worth of spares and was able to get going. Being a Team player I decided to give my good one way transmission to Gus to run in the main. I finished with a blown one way and Gus blew out 2nd Gear ~6mins in. I finshed 5th and was vey happy with my performance. We also found out that the one way kills off the shaft as well so I was looking at $70 easy to get them going again.
Luckily for me I ran into a few good men at Timezone. Paulo and Mike were there representing Team Serpent with their insane fast Cobra GT. I asked tons of questions and got tons of support from guys who I didn’t even have their product. Those of you who know Paulo know exactly what I’m talking about. Easy choice for me, I came home and got the newly released Cobra GT. Out of the box I was in love. Every detail was spot on and I could tell this was a purpose built race machine. I ran the stock brakes with stock plastic mounts with no issues what so ever. I loved the fact that I could get online and have options to set my Cobra GT up for my track. Here in Utah we throw these big GT cars down on a small 1/10th scale track and it makes you drive. Having all the options and all the support made the difference. The car out of the box is a finely tuned race machine and I highly recommend it to anyone who asks me what car to get. I still run and love this car today.

Just last weekend I took a trip down to the KOPROPO GP with Gus and a few other local racers. The GT crowd was small and I found myself enjoying the atmosphere and visiting all the guys I met at Timezone.
Gus and I shared a pit box and worked together all weekend to get our cars as good as we could. That Team C car went through gears like they were candy… We both did the mesh and both had the same results. The car would not preform plain and simple. It was rough for all of us as I had my car apart a million times too trying to find traction and learning from the big dogs. Sunday came and it was race day, I wore my Serpent shirt with pride as I knew Team Serpent was going to have a good day. I myself am not sponsored by them at all this is all personal experience not influenced by Serpent.

There are major differences in the chassis between Team C and Seprent. Choose you own adventure as I have found mine. There are also major differences in the drivers. Paulo came over to Gus and I at Timezone and had nothing but good things to say about the Team C. Not one thing negative at all, I’m truly saddened to see that stops with Serpent and doesn’t carry over to Team C. It’s got to be tough being the only driver out there and I truly respect what you have done with the Team C chassis. I have great respect for you Marcus with dealing with all the criticism and questions everyone can see across this thread. However you have lost my support and praise for this by attacking another chassis and driver. In no way shape or form should any representative of a company attempt to beat down their competitor with false statements that should be settled on the track. I had really high hopes for the Team C as I loved it when I had it, I just hope it hasn’t been hurt by this. I’m going to roll with Team Serpent every time because I’m welcome and it’s a positive environment. Next chance you get a chance swing by and talk to Paulo about the upgrades on his car, I did, there are very few and all of which are available to anyone who wants that extra tenability to their chassis.

Anyone who has been to a big race for nitro on road knows Gus Wood is a man to beat. He knows R/C better than most of the people I have ever met and he proves it on the track. I commend him greatly for sticking to his guns on the Team C car even though I give him a hard time almost everyday about it. It’s our shop talk. Gus I’ll be happy to watch you kick my butt with a Serpent Cobra GT any day just don’t ask for my magic setup because it’s all influenced by you anyway.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Tech Champion

Marcus,

My only point was the Cobra GT is a great car bone stock and is very low maintenance. IMO all the other GT cars have to put on upgrades (hop ups) in order to keep up with a stock Cobra GT (which makes it more cost effective to run the Cobra). And again, that's just my personal opinion.

Looking forward to the competition. Wish I could make it out to the Texas Biggie this weekend but my daughter has her graduation on Saturday. Hope to race with you soon in Austin or here in San Antonio. If you can beat me by more than a lap that would be amazing as my Cobra GT is putting down laps about .40 seconds a lap slower than my Xray NT1.

On another note, If C. Jones was burning through 2nd gear spurs at that rate he had a bad gear mesh, aligment problems with the 2 speed, or bearing problems in the 2 speed. Just sayin.

Regards,

D
Thats exactly what Spooky is having issues with, it happens!

Originally Posted by TerribleTy
I have great respect for you Marcus with dealing with all the criticism and questions everyone can see across this thread. However you have lost my support and praise for this by attacking another chassis and driver. In no way shape or form should any representative of a company attempt to beat down their competitor with false statements that should be settled on the track.

There was no attack.

Last edited by MantisWorx; 05-22-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Tech Addict

I'm not trying to make a manufacturer war either. In my opinion what you say has to be well thought out as you represent a company. You aren't just some dude on the forum with a stick in his butt you are a representative of Team C to all of us. Your opinions are your opinions but in my opinion should not be part of you representing Team C. You are public relations the guy we get to talk to if something is going great or if something is going bad. Represent Team C with positive statements, the facts will speak for themselves elsewhere. I don't look at you as some dude on a forum that's my problem I know what a factory driver should be like I've met many and continue to be impressed with their plight. Any company will fail with negative promotions this isn't politics.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.