It looks like a contender
Thanks
DRRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #377
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Final version of the gears is complete
  • Gears are only sold in pairs
  • comes with 7 screws and 7 nuts (1 extra!!)
  • set is 7-10g lighter
  • 45/40 teeth (44 testing now)
  • loose gears tear up the holders and they are expensive
  • Acetyl polymer is less abrasive and stronger

With the lock nut on the back of the gear and some loctite you will never have to worry about a gear coming loose and wallowing out the gear holder holes.
This is simply a hop-up item, not needed but very usefull, they last forever (well probably not forever but a long time!!)
One thing I have noticed is the stock gears tend to wear the pinions out quickly and when they begin to wear you stand a chance of spitting out spur gears much quicker.

MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #378
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

They look good Marcus ....
Old 05-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #379
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob B99 View Post
They look good Marcus ....
Havent heard from ya! how is the car coming along? You need to make it down here for one of our SWCS events, they are always big with some fast comp!
Old 05-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #380
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Last edited by spooky 1; 05-22-2013 at 07:11 PM.
spooky 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #381
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

@ Spooky, FWIW I know another Noob driver who was racing a DM1 and was going through spur gears like candy too... I'm not exactly sure what his issue was but I think it had something to do with the bearings in his clutch or something. I haven't converted over to nitro yet so I can't speak intelligently of what he was doing wrong, but the poor kid stopped showing up at the track.. I don't think anyone could ever get his problem figured out properly hence the main reason why I decided to stay electric for now. In 6+ months of racing, I've only chewed up 1 spur gear because of a hard crash that caused the motor to slightly shift and the pinion lost its mesh
billdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #382
Tech Fanatic

Last edited by spooky 1; 05-22-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #383
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
@ Spooky, FWIW I know another Noob driver who was racing a DM1 and was going through spur gears like candy too... I'm not exactly sure what his issue was but I think it had something to do with the bearings in his clutch or something. I haven't converted over to nitro yet so I can't speak intelligently of what he was doing wrong, but the poor kid stopped showing up at the track.. I don't think anyone could ever get his problem figured out properly hence the main reason why I decided to stay electric for now. In 6+ months of racing, I've only chewed up 1 spur gear because of a hard crash that caused the motor to slightly shift and the pinion lost its mesh
If its 2nd gear spur, you must use a quality 8x12 flanged bearings on the 2nd spur gear holder. Any sort of side play and they are toast. Ceramics are the worse.

TomAHawk Racing - On-Time Services - XRay Racing - Sweep Racing - RoseCityScaleRacing.com - Timezone Racing,
9th Annual Timezone Grand Prix July 13th-16th 2017!
T-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #384
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

@Spooky, I worded it wrong, I meant to say "I know another driver who is a Noob", didn't mean to imply you were a Noob, was trying to explain he was having a similar issue burning up Spurs from another brand of car independent from Team C. Oddly enough, I'm not aware of many others running nitro DM1's who are going through spurs too... perhaps it's an issue with the engine... is it possible to have an incompatible engine or clutch assembly???
billdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #385
Tech Elite

Spooky a noob? I love it See you in a couple months?

TomAHawk Racing - On-Time Services - XRay Racing - Sweep Racing - RoseCityScaleRacing.com - Timezone Racing,
Old 05-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #386
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky 1 View Post
Spent the weekend at the KO Propo race changing spur gears every 5 minutes. Finally put on a Cobra clutchbell and still lost second in the main. Very frustrating. I had a sharp first gear pinion that caused some of the trouble , but even after putting on new gears I was losing spurs every run. Had to take tons of slop out of the steering, but the gears going out made me crazy. Tried to put on a 41 second gear and ate both of them that I bought for this race. Very hard to get a good mesh on the 41 when I couldn't get the engine any closer. This car is on it's last chance.

Spooky, a few things on this subject, over the last few months i have built and guided more than a few kit builds and out of them all only have had one second gear spur spin (TeamC gear). IMO the difference has been the upgrade engine mount and aluminum transmission mount.The latest kit chassis moved the engine slots inward but i though that you had already dremeled yours to allow more movement?
When I was going through gears personally it was due to the sharp pinions. once i changed them out to new ones and installed the delrin gears I have only stripped one and it was my fault. I swapped engines and in between me rushing to get it done and helping another racer I did not set the mesh and it was too loose, even then it took 2 tanks before it went!
You contacted me a few weeks ago about getting the delrin set, I had them in a bag ready to go but you did not follow through. Yes in reality you should not need to buy aftermarket gears and really you do not but if your pinions are sharp its going to happen on any car. If team C offered a 40t spur i wouldnt even bother with the delrin ones (except they do look goooood!).IF you are going through that many gears then something is not right and out of alignment. Are you using the plastic tranny mounts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Hawk View Post
If its 2nd gear spur, you must use a quality 8x12 flanged bearings on the 2nd spur gear holder. Any sort of side play and they are toast. Ceramics are the worse.
I have had the same ceramic 2 spd bearings since the first SWCS event 3 months ago. How is it that ceramics are worse than std bearings? They have a higher ABEC rating which by definition means they have closer tolerances. At least that is what i was told

Last edited by MantisWorx; 05-21-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #387
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky 1 View Post
Billdelong, I'm not exactly a noob. 30 years racing and on the Sweep national team as well as Airtronics and others. I've been racing GT since the first Kyoshos hit the shelves. I have had struggles with one-way bearings and gears on this car from day one and I've been racing it for over a year now. I never had these problems keeping a Kyosho together. I know a few issues guys have had with the Serpents, but nothing serious. I know I can get this sorted out even if I have to make my own parts (not the first time), but it seems the stock stuff just isn't cutting it. I'll give it another chance, but this car is on thin ice with me.
Ok lets point out the issues you are having and see if they have been resolved or can be resolved. I thought i pretty much had everything covered but maybe not.You should not have to make anything really.

Do you have the upgrade engine mount?
Do you have the upgrade tranny mount?
What brakes are you using?
What clutch setup?

The steering slop comes from two different things.One is simply just the ball ends get wore out, nothing you can really do about that , the replacement kit is only 6.00. Two, use 8x11x.2mm shims in between the outer hub bearing and hex's, 2-3 usually does the trick! Amain has them in a variety of brands!
Old 05-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #388
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
I have had the same ceramic 2 spd bearings since the first SWCS event 3 months ago. How is it that ceramics are worse than std bearings? They have a higher ABEC rating which by definition means they have closer tolerances. At least that is what i was told
The balls themself have higher tolerances, but the races seemed loose, you could wobbly the bearing on the shaft. I bought all new 2 speed stuff thinking, "these are ceramic bearings from a respectable manufacturer, its not the bearings?" Changed pinions, different spurs, you name it I did it. Bought some regular bearings and no problem. This is on a DM car

Old 05-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #389
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Hawk View Post
The balls themself have higher tolerances, but the races seemed loose, you could wobbly the bearing on the shaft. I bought all new 2 speed stuff thinking, "these are ceramic bearings from a respectable manufacturer, its not the bearings?" Changed pinions, different spurs, you name it I did it. Bought some regular bearings and no problem. This is on a DM car
Hmmm interesting, I guess it depends on where the bearings come from and the rating. Ya never know!!
Old 05-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #390
Tech Fanatic

Last edited by spooky 1; 05-22-2013 at 07:13 PM.