R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #286
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: H.K.
Posts: 19
Default

Hi guys,

Currently building a GT8L, and hope you guys can help out with settings on this car.

I'm looking for a setup for smooth prepped track and car park bashing with a few friends.

Car is still standard, so I'll take advice from you guys with more experience with this car, and will change parts on the car if recommended.

Also, the brakes on this car is...erm...feels a bit under powered just from looking at it, I'm sure it'll melt from just one round of 30mins.... anyone used uprated metal disk and pads for this car? can Kyosho brakes fit?

Thanks in advance for any help.

regards,
casemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #287
Tech Champion
 
MantisWorx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,829
Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by casemate View Post
Hi guys,

Currently building a GT8L, and hope you guys can help out with settings on this car.

I'm looking for a setup for smooth prepped track and car park bashing with a few friends.

Car is still standard, so I'll take advice from you guys with more experience with this car, and will change parts on the car if recommended.

Also, the brakes on this car is...erm...feels a bit under powered just from looking at it, I'm sure it'll melt from just one round of 30mins.... anyone used uprated metal disk and pads for this car? can Kyosho brakes fit?

Thanks in advance for any help.

regards,
Start off with my standard setup post a few pages back. The L chassis is front heavy so i would add weight to the back of the car and make the rear ride height 1mm lower than the front.
Use Serpent white or yellow front springs (teamC just released new springs but i cant get them just yet)
Remove the rear sway bar
Get RCShox 2 stage pistons http://www.rcshox.com/copy-of-teamc-...-stage-for-t8/
Get the RCShox arm braces
Get the aluminum chassis braces
Get the upgrade engine mount
Get the aluminum transmission mount
Your first upgrade needs to be the HD oneway bearing http://www.rcshox.com/one-way-bearing/

The stock brakes are fine , its the transmission mount that gets hot and soft making the brakes really bad. If you go metal brakes with the plastic mounts it they will melt down in one tank!

The long chassis has ALOT of flex so the upgrade engine mount,braces and center mount will keep you from stripping gears.Those pieces are expensive so get the engine mount first and then get the center mount.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tXHoR6XP6w
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #288
Tech Apprentice
 
wiggindude6969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Houston
Posts: 94
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

+1
__________________
F104v2 - RSD/TC6.1 - CRCXTi - AE B6
wiggindude6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #289
Tech Apprentice
 
wiggindude6969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Houston
Posts: 94
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

how long is your straight? Might want to get the 41 and 45 spur gears. or at least an extra set just in case.... its always good to keep extras....

also the silicone bladders seem to help a lot. RXShox has them too.
__________________
F104v2 - RSD/TC6.1 - CRCXTi - AE B6
wiggindude6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:59 AM   #290
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: H.K.
Posts: 19
Default

Thanks for the advice!

UUnfortunately I'm in Hong Kong, so buying from US will rape me on delivery charges.

Just want to know what's wrong with the one way bearing ?
casemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:14 AM   #291
Tech Champion
 
MantisWorx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,829
Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by casemate View Post
Thanks for the advice!

UUnfortunately I'm in Hong Kong, so buying from US will rape me on delivery charges.

Just want to know what's wrong with the one way bearing ?
I ship to China on a weekly basis! First class is 9.00( as long as i can fit the parts in an envelope) priority is 25.00(small flat rate box or envelope), thats not too bad!

The kit oneway bearing is a low grade piece. As soon as it gets hot it will start to slip and the car will double shift which will eventually fail and/or start stripping spur gears, Save your self the trouble and replace it ASAP!!
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #292
Tech Champion
 
MantisWorx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,829
Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)
Default

Little heads up to everyone with this car. I had a gear case melt down yesterday, its the second time its happened in about 3mths but of course it will happen at the worst time, so everyone needs to keep on top of it.
TeamC has an upgraded case in the works but its not out yet. The inner rear center bearing will get hot, come apart and destroy the case. to avoid this leave some space in between the center coupling and the pinion shaft. You can loosen it while the car is still together so just back off the pinion and slide the coupler towards the front about .5mm or so to allow for heat expansion.




I also recommend using a high quality bearing, the bearing in these pics was a ABEC7 ceramic so a lower quality bearing would be worse , in fact the last time it happend it took out both bearings!
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #293
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin,TX
Posts: 1,031
Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Default

so ceramic bearings run cooler than normal bearings?
Do they also make the car go faster or is the only benefit of ceramic having better longevity of bearing life?
billdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #294
Tech Champion
 
MantisWorx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,829
Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
so ceramic bearings run cooler than normal bearings?
Do they also make the car go faster or is the only benefit of ceramic having better longevity of bearing life?
Ceramic bearings are worth the money! they run cooler, way less drag ,you can actually run them dry (mine are all dry except at the gear pinions). And the car is faster. I also run F1 and full ceramics in an electric car will actually allow you to gear up and still run cooler! One of the best upgrades you can do to a nitro car is use dry ceramics in the clutch bell. Ceramic doesnt expand with heat (well at least not at the heat level we put them in!!)
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #295
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin,TX
Posts: 1,031
Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Default

I think I'll give a set of ceramics a shot, thanks Marcus!
billdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #296
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: H.K.
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
I ship to China on a weekly basis! First class is 9.00( as long as i can fit the parts in an envelope) priority is 25.00(small flat rate box or envelope), thats not too bad!

The kit oneway bearing is a low grade piece. As soon as it gets hot it will start to slip and the car will double shift which will eventually fail and/or start stripping spur gears, Save your self the trouble and replace it ASAP!!
Ah, I see, I'll see if I can find a replacement in my LHS, if not then I'll get it from you then.

I also had a look at your website for the aluminum transmission tower, but I can't find the part number, and TeamC website also doesn't list it. Can you please tell me that part number, reason is I went to my LHS looking for it, but they all said TeamC does not have that part, so I bought another spare standard plastic tower in case it breaks.
casemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #297
Tech Champion
 
MantisWorx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,829
Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
I think I'll give a set of ceramics a shot, thanks Marcus!
I have ceramic kits for the TeamC car on the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casemate View Post
Ah, I see, I'll see if I can find a replacement in my LHS, if not then I'll get it from you then.

I also had a look at your website for the aluminum transmission tower, but I can't find the part number, and TeamC website also doesn't list it. Can you please tell me that part number, reason is I went to my LHS looking for it, but they all said TeamC does not have that part, so I bought another spare standard plastic tower in case it breaks.
You are not going to find the right one, I searched and tested at least a dozen. Ultimately i had to get them direct, Mine come with the proper grease already in them.

TU0833 for the mount
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #298
Tech Champion
 
MantisWorx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,829
Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)
Default

New body!
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:10 PM   #299
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,638
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Ceramic bearing need Acer Syn lube in them to last long and run cool : running them dry will cause this everytime.....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:32 PM   #300
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,638
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

The best solution here is to shield the driveshaft from all the heat source around it , and grease just that bearing real good : grease absorbs heat.... Also polish the shaft where the bearing go onto to minimize friction... Lastly, make sure there is a slight(0.1mm) play between the input gear and the bevel gear(grease them well also).....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Micro On Road & 1/18 Off Road Nats Thread RCMadness Micro and Mini Scales 1165 12-15-2013 04:49 PM
Team TTC GT-4 Singapore R/C Racers 7281 12-24-2010 09:45 AM
R/C Stuff Selling Kenneth Tan Singapore R/C Racers 45728 09-09-2009 08:19 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:02 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0