R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-26-2013, 06:09 AM   #211
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

Marcus, good point on the braking, most of the classes I run are so slow, I rarely let off the trigger finger, the only time I ever brake with my DM1e is coming off the back straight, though my lap times tend to go faster when I drive slower and use less brake... I'm still learning and the FOW has been a good cheater for the spec classes to get more corner speed which is where I've been having issues with getting the larger GT8 sized car to carry the same speed along the same lines, heck my GT18 was able to pull 2 extra laps over my GT8 over a 6 min qual on the same track layout, ha!
billdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:44 AM   #212
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
Marcus, good point on the braking, most of the classes I run are so slow, I rarely let off the trigger finger, the only time I ever brake with my DM1e is coming off the back straight, though my lap times tend to go faster when I drive slower and use less brake... I'm still learning and the FOW has been a good cheater for the spec classes to get more corner speed which is where I've been having issues with getting the larger GT8 sized car to carry the same speed along the same lines, heck my GT18 was able to pull 2 extra laps over my GT8 over a 6 min qual on the same track layout, ha!
With electric you get drag brake from the motor which helps with brake control. to increase corner speed stiffen the car up via springs and sway bars.
FOW??
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:36 AM   #213
Tech Master

Thanks for the tip on drag brake, the more I think about it, my GT18 has a natural drag brake due to its belt driven design which is probably why I get the best lap times with it over any other car I've raced. My GT8 comes in as my second fastest lap counter, but you're right, the setup just isn't where it needs to be to unlock its full potential. I have the front as stiff as it can possibly get (within reason) with the rear as loose as it can get with the goal of trying to get the car to push than to spin out, perhaps I have the rear a bit too soft and will definitely add some drag brake too, heck I may add drag brake to my 1/10 spec cars also!

I've seen some folks refer to "Front One Way" diff as FOW, not really sure if this is common, I only bought the upgrade as an experiment and I really liked it, but I may have to swap it back to a regular diff if I plan to use drag brake.

Do nitros have a drag brake setting too?

My only experience with nitro is flying .40 size planes so I've never had to deal with low speed idle tuning or flameouts, just an occassional dead stick when forgetting to set my timer and running out of fuel, ha! I am not impressed with seeing so many issues the local racers have with keeping their engines running at the start of a race... poor PitRacer had to restart his engine 3-4 times before the start of the main this past Saturday. Granted he easily squashed the field with an easy win, but it appears that a good tune for racing conditions equates to a horrible tune for low speed idle conditions, hence reinforcing my logic to remain with electric.

We have a new racer in the class (newer than me that is) and the poor kid hasn't completed a single qualifier round to my knowledge without his engine cutting out on him
Old 03-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #214
Tech Champion

Quote:
Thanks for the tip on drag brake, the more I think about it, my GT18 has a natural drag brake due to its belt driven design which is probably why I get the best lap times with it over any other car I've raced. My GT8 comes in as my second fastest lap counter, but you're right, the setup just isn't where it needs to be to unlock its full potential. I have the front as stiff as it can possibly get (within reason) with the rear as loose as it can get with the goal of trying to get the car to push than to spin out, perhaps I have the rear a bit too soft and will definitely add some drag brake too, heck I may add drag brake to my 1/10 spec cars also!

I've seen some folks refer to "Front One Way" diff as FOW, not really sure if this is common, I only bought the upgrade as an experiment and I really liked it, but I may have to swap it back to a regular diff if I plan to use drag brake.

Do nitros have a drag brake setting too?

My only experience with nitro is flying .40 size planes so I've never had to deal with low speed idle tuning or flameouts, just an occassional dead stick when forgetting to set my timer and running out of fuel, ha! I am not impressed with seeing so many issues the local racers have with keeping their engines running at the start of a race... poor PitRacer had to restart his engine 3-4 times before the start of the main this past Saturday. Granted he easily squashed the field with an easy win, but it appears that a good tune for racing conditions equates to a horrible tune for low speed idle conditions, hence reinforcing my logic to remain with electric.

We have a new racer in the class (newer than me that is) and the poor kid hasn't completed a single qualifier round to my knowledge without his engine cutting out on him
Definitely your setup running your difs like that will make the car push on entry will not rotate mid turn and have on power steering on exit. You would have to come in heavily on the brakes to make it turn , roll the throttle to get around the turn and then stab it once the car is lined up! go up on the rear and lower on the front, also use about 2* of front toe out to help with turn in. Also raising the front roll center and lowering the rear will help with entry rotation.

You can use drag brake on a nitro car but it will overheat the brakes so its best to just drive using the brakes but set them up light so that they will not lock up.

I will make a trip to Austin ASAP to give you guys a hand with the engines, just let me know when the next race is. Usually when you have that many issues its just a balance between the needles either the LSN is too rich while HSN is lean or vice versa. Tell everyone to set the needles back to factory settings and go from there. Here locally we have a good pool of nitro experienced nitro racers so we rarely have issues with flame outs and such. Once you get a grasp on how to keep them running you will love it but i see your point, its the reason why it took me 5 years before i got one!!

Tell the new guy not to get discouraged help is on the way!

Team Merlin is headed to Brownsville Apr 21/22 to help them out for the same reasons!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #215
Tech Master

I think Christian Tabush is planning a trip down to the Hobby Town South track on Sun April 7 in planning for the 2013 EOS, I suspect a large turnout on that day. We've been averaging between 60-70 race entries lately on normal race days, where 40 entries is considered a low turnout now, ha!

I'm in the process of building more track sections so our RD can be more creative with our track layouts, specifically allowing us to have a larger track

I recall the throttle trim settings on my OS Plane engines were super easy to tune, close the screw completely, then open it up 2 full turns, fire it up and fine tune from there. Same for the LSN which almost never needed to be touched on a plane.

I did have a Magnum engine once that had a faulty design on the rubber o-ring that was used to hold the HSN tune and the engine would lean out during mid flight as the needle slowly vibrated and tightened up. I had to use RTV silicone to hold the needle in place when setting the tune and that problem went away, I suppose I could've found a replacement o-ring but call me el-cheapo

I wonder if some of the local cars have faulty o-rings that need to be replaced on the LSN's?
Old 03-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #216
Tech Champion

Quote:
I think Christian Tabush is planning a trip down to the Hobby Town South track on Sun April 7 in planning for the 2013 EOS, I suspect a large turnout on that day. We've been averaging between 60-70 race entries lately on normal race days, where 40 entries is considered a low turnout now, ha!

I'm in the process of building more track sections so our RD can be more creative with our track layouts, specifically allowing us to have a larger track

I recall the throttle trim settings on my OS Plane engines were super easy to tune, close the screw completely, then open it up 2 full turns, fire it up and fine tune from there. Same for the LSN which almost never needed to be touched on a plane.

I did have a Magnum engine once that had a faulty design on the rubber o-ring that was used to hold the HSN tune and the engine would lean out during mid flight as the needle slowly vibrated and tightened up. I had to use RTV silicone to hold the needle in place when setting the tune and that problem went away, I suppose I could've found a replacement o-ring but call me el-cheapo

I wonder if some of the local cars have faulty o-rings that need to be replaced on the LSN's?

I can make it down on that date, will consult with Cristian and let ya know. Probably get a couple of others to come too!

Tell the ones that need help to make sure and get a fresh plug, check for air leaks and go back to factory needle settings before we get there, that way we are not chasing a different issue.

Thats a really good turnout, how many GT's?

What forum do you Austin guys hang out at, Link please?
Old 03-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #217
Tech Master

Most of the Austin guys talk locally here where I go by "Need4Speed":

http://www.rcfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Chris Adams has been promoting his plans for EOS here:
http://www.rcfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32760

Sorry I misquoted Christian Tabush earlier, my bad, I got the Chris's confused.

GT8 has been very hit or miss, I know Todd Chambers and Shawn Bucklin have been itching for some good competition and Danny Ayala from SA will come up to the South track once or twice a month too. There are usually 3-4 that run regularly but I wouldn't be surprised to see a full class of 10+ drivers if we promote it. Not too long ago, there were close to 20 drivers each week in the GT8 class!

Most folks are tuning and getting ready for the EOS classes which have been the bulk of race entries lately. There are a couple of really fast F1 drivers now that might stay on the same lap with you... who am I kidding, ha!
Old 03-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #218
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just got back from the Airtronics Grand Prix in L.A. My Team C was very good there. I have a few things I will be trying on it soon, but that car and Sweep tires were among the fast cars there. I finished second to Paulo Morganti (surprise), and felt the car was strong all weekend. I had changed out the one-way bearing from earlier issues and never had a problem. High speed and technical track. The Team C carved the corners like nothing else my skill is all that kept me from a win.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #219
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky 1 View Post
Just got back from the Airtronics Grand Prix in L.A. My Team C was very good there. I have a few things I will be trying on it soon, but that car and Sweep tires were among the fast cars there. I finished second to Paulo Morganti (surprise), and felt the car was strong all weekend. I had changed out the one-way bearing from earlier issues and never had a problem. High speed and technical track. The Team C carved the corners like nothing else my skill is all that kept me from a win.

Congrats! The Team C storm is brewing Who is next!?
Old 03-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #220
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky 1 View Post
Nice run .........

Maybe it was the pit guy ........
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #221
Tech Regular

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenade10 View Post
Nice run .........

Maybe it was the pit guy ........
Hi Mark.....Spooky's probably most wounded by the .0047 sec. that kept him from finishing 1 lap closer to that 'wizard' Paolo. He also dodged a bullet when Walter Diaz broke early in the A Main.

Spooky's TeamC was 'flawless' and when he has time to get the feel of the track....look out.
scary_jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #222
Tech Regular

Smile

Hey Mantis.......is the 'Austin Hobby Town' the 'new asphalt track' that was recently in the posts as the 'new track' coming to Austin???
scary_jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #223
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by scary_jerry View Post
Hey Mantis.......is the 'Austin Hobby Town' the 'new asphalt track' that was recently in the posts as the 'new track' coming to Austin???
i have no idea but i am trying to get there within the next few weeks, I am sure one of them will chime in with that answer.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #224
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
i have no idea but i am trying to get there within the next few weeks, I am sure one of them will chime in with that answer.
Unless my alzhiemers is kicking in, I havent heard of that. Scary Jerry, do you know where you saw that?
Rockin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #225
Tech Master

The only "new" track I am aware of is when the Hobby Town South store relocated to SouthPark Meadows, then they could host races in the parking lot in front of the Spec's Liqour store which is closed on Sunday's so there is no conflict using the parking lot on those days. Hobby Town has been using this track space for about a year now where racing alternates each month where March is Saturday racing at the North store, then April is Sunday racing at the South store and each month, the racing rotates North and South...

About 6 months ago, there were plans to build a Mega R/C Complex near San Marcos,TX (30 min South of Austin) to include both Rally and a large on-road circuit but it turned into a pipe dream and plans fell through; the off-road tracks (1/5 and 1/8 ) in that space are still active but no longer have any vision for on-road racing.

There was also a Circuit of the Americas 1:1 Forumula One race track built in Austin last year, but it's way too big for R/C, ha!

Last edited by billdelong; 03-26-2013 at 01:59 PM.