R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #181
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Machine was free for a few hours today so i worked on the Delrin spurs a little more. altered the pitch diameter slightly to make the mesh a little tighter so the gears will wear in perfectly. I have also been playing with brake pad/rotor combos. Steel rotors start off weak but get stronger as they heat up but they get really hot to the point that they melted part of the upper transmission mount a little bit. The fiberglass rotors/steel pads start off really grabby and start to fade as time goes on, i find that i have to add brakes during pit stops to keep them where they feel good. This has to be heat related so i cut some cross drilled and slotted rotors to see if i can find a happy medium. The rear disc is stepped down to allow for clearance of the flywheel.

MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #182
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have a composite material with a teflon filler that might work well for spur gears, very low coeificent of friction and is as tuff as g-10. same for the disc pads, might need to cutt grooves in them so the heat has a place to go as well. we run into this all the time when there is too much contact surface. Rulon LR might work well to.. that is one of the liners that is used in other break pads. i have some on the shelf at my office if you want to play with it.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:36 PM   #183
Tech Apprentice

Can wait to get my Team C GT8 up and running.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:07 AM   #184
Tech Champion

HMMMMM that interest me for sure!! I will contact you about that.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #185
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for all your efforts on this car , Marcus . Those of us that have this car appreciate it.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #186
Tech Champion

No worries man, this is what i do! I did it for my last team and i will do it for TeamC! They are giving me more support and actually listen to what i am suggesting.My goal is to have a car capable of being a world championship contender even if i cant drive it that fast (which i think i can!!)

My inventory arrived yesterday so i am working on pix and and updating the website, should be ready tonight.

Put my car back together today with the aluminum chassis braces and Aluminum transmission mounts, this along with the new rotors is giving me more than enough brakes! before my EPA was at 38 and with no mechanical changes i am now at 17 and it is still locking up! I am on the street so of course it will be different on the track but if i had 17 before the car would barely stop even on the street. So now i am thinking that alot of my brake issues were coming from the plastic mounts getting hot and flexing all over the place. The transmission mounts are pricey but are VERY nice pieces, coming from a machinist trust me!

I sold a few kits this week already so within the next couple of months i think we will start to see more feedback and good results with the car.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #187
Tech Fanatic

I'm going to be running mine at the Airtronics grand prix in L.A. soon. Hope to have some feedback after that race.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:01 PM   #188
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky 1 View Post
I'm going to be running mine at the Airtronics grand prix in L.A. soon. Hope to have some feedback after that race.

Excellent, keep us posted!!

I am doing a pro build for a customer in Austin, started on it today and will post pix as i go along, maybe some vid.
Team C upgrade engine mount and stock flywheel:

BTW site is updated and ready for orders!
http://www.rcshox.com/team-c-gt8-gt8l/
Old 03-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #189
Tech Champion

More testing today at the track. I tried some diffferent teeth profile for the spur gears and they didnt last as long so I am going to go back to what i had before. I also tested a 40t second gear and it was NICE!! Next time out will try a 44 first gear and see how that goes.

The brakes were flawless today and even at an EPA of 8 (previously 38!!) it would still lock up!! I ended up at 6 and they stayed the same with no fade all. So the aluminum tranny mount is going to be a mandatory upgrade for those of you that use alot of brake or race at a track that is hard on brakes in general.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #190
Tech Champion

New TeamC MT body!! Those of you that purchased kits from me this week will have this body with the kit! I will have a few bodies in stock next week.

Will take better pix tomorrow

Last edited by MantisWorx; 03-25-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #191
Tech Champion

RCShox prototype 3d printed pistons for Serpent and TeamC
Old 03-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #192
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 100 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
RCShox prototype 3d printed pistons for Serpent and TeamC
hey Marcus I'd be happy to test those out for ya
Old 03-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #193
Tech Champion

Maybe after i do some initial runs, its the material composition that i am concerned about more than anything else.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #194
Tech Champion

A RCShox pro-build turnkey kit that i am assembling, breaking in,tuning and setting up for Aaron Grant in TX! It has pretty much every upgrade that i have suggested and what i run on my car. 2stg pistons,Arm braces,Al tranny mount AL hubs etc etc. its coming out nice and i should be able to get it fired up tomorrow night!

Also had a chance to test the Mclaren body and it felt very similar to the Alpha body close enough that i am going to continue to run it. The wing is a bit large so i am going to remove the Gurney flap and also make it about 10mm shorter.

Final testing is complete on the Delrin spurs I found the perfect pitch combination and the 40t second gear is super fast!
Old 03-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #195
Tech Regular

That thing is a beaut Marcus!

Put me down next in line for one of those turnkey builds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
A RCShox pro-build turnkey kit that i am assembling, breaking in,tuning and setting up for Aaron Grant in TX! It has pretty much every upgrade that i have suggested and what i run on my car. 2stg pistons,Arm braces,Al tranny mount AL hubs etc etc. its coming out nice and i should be able to get it fired up tomorrow night!

Also had a chance to test the Mclaren body and it felt very similar to the Alpha body close enough that i am going to continue to run it. The wing is a bit large so i am going to remove the Gurney flap and also make it about 10mm shorter.

Final testing is complete on the Delrin spurs I found the perfect pitch combination and the 40t second gear is super fast!