R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #136
Tech Champion
 
MantisWorx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,830
Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)
Default Update on developments

I have the short chassis conversion in route from China but may have to run the long for the SW series coming up in a few weeks so I need to get it handling right just in case i do not get my parts in time!
One of the things i noticed right before i left to Florida is that with the rear toe blocks in the middle i had 8* of toe in?? so i rigged up the spacers to give me 4.5* but that was still too much. So I redrew the assembly in CAD and figured out the the FR block is .5mm to short per side!! IF any of you have a setup station please verify this. Next step was to machine a new block with proper dimensions, and now i have exactly 3* of toe with the spacers in the middle which means i can go less if needed.


Another issue i was having is chassis flex from the chassis being so long. it would flex in between the braces and make the car hop really bad as the grip got higher, it got bad enough that i actually snapped a front driveshaft from traction hop! There are a few things causing this to happen. One is the fore mentioned chassis flex second is the fact that the arms are made for off road thus they need to flex to keep from breaking. Down side to this is that in on road racing since there is so much grip the arms would actually twist and snap back which also makes it hard to stay consistent . My cure for this is arm braces screwed to the bottom of the arms! while installing these braces i also notice that the arms were slightly "bowed" which makes it hell to keep your ride height constant. This is now fixed:


Ok so now thats figured out, i decided to basically go back to the stock setup except for remove the rear sway bar, Serpent white front springs, shocks all the way down in front , up in rear on the tower and ride height at 8.5 f/r. we are still discussing options for changes with Team C so not sure if we will go with current shocks and upgrade spring kits or go with short shocks all the way around and utilize Serpent size springs but maybe come out with spring rates in between. The results of these changes are promising! most noticeable thing about the braces (arm and chassis) is that on exit the car is smoother and more predictable. I spent all day tuning the engine and testing Merlin fuel(EXCELLENT stuff!) and made no changes to the setup which was my intent. I think with only a few minor roll center adjustments it can be quicker! Enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tXHoR6XP6w
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #137
Tech Fanatic
 
Joseph16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 787
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
I have the short chassis conversion in route from China but may have to run the long for the SW series coming up in a few weeks so I need to get it handling right just in case i do not get my parts in time!
One of the things i noticed right before i left to Florida is that with the rear toe blocks in the middle i had 8* of toe in?? so i rigged up the spacers to give me 4.5* but that was still too much. So I redrew the assembly in CAD and figured out the the FR block is .5mm to short per side!! IF any of you have a setup station please verify this. Next step was to machine a new block with proper dimensions, and now i have exactly 3* of toe with the spacers in the middle which means i can go less if needed.


Another issue i was having is chassis flex from the chassis being so long. it would flex in between the braces and make the car hop really bad as the grip got higher, it got bad enough that i actually snapped a front driveshaft from traction hop! There are a few things causing this to happen. One is the fore mentioned chassis flex second is the fact that the arms are made for off road thus they need to flex to keep from breaking. Down side to this is that in on road racing since there is so much grip the arms would actually twist and snap back which also makes it hard to stay consistent . My cure for this is arm braces screwed to the bottom of the arms! while installing these braces i also notice that the arms were slightly "bowed" which makes it hell to keep your ride height constant. This is now fixed:


Ok so now thats figured out, i decided to basically go back to the stock setup except for remove the rear sway bar, Serpent white front springs, shocks all the way down in front , up in rear on the tower and ride height at 8.5 f/r. we are still discussing options for changes with Team C so not sure if we will go with current shocks and upgrade spring kits or go with short shocks all the way around and utilize Serpent size springs but maybe come out with spring rates in between. The results of these changes are promising! most noticeable thing about the braces (arm and chassis) is that on exit the car is smoother and more predictable. I spent all day tuning the engine and testing Merlin fuel(EXCELLENT stuff!) and made no changes to the setup which was my intent. I think with only a few minor roll center adjustments it can be quicker! Enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tXHoR6XP6w
Good luck with all the testing. make it happend!
__________________
Serpent America & Desoto Racing.
Picco - Arrowmax.
PT RC Racing Oils.
Neal Smith Mods.
Alpha Tires and Body.
Joseph16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #138
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 8
Default

Nice Car!!!
C.Krieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:17 AM   #139
Tech Apprentice
 
wiggindude6969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Houston
Posts: 94
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Hopefully I will order one next week!
__________________
F104v2 - RSD/TC6.1 - CRCXTi - AE B6
wiggindude6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #140
Tech Champion
 
MantisWorx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,830
Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggindude6969 View Post
Hopefully I will order one next week!
My short chassis conversion is due to arrive today Sean so next weekend you can take some laps with it. Tomorrow i will be running the long chassis at Mikes and it is handling very well If the Short chassis is quicker at all things are going to get interesting because its very good right now!
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #141
Tech Champion
 
MantisWorx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,830
Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)
Default

Got the conversion parts in friday and spent all day today rebuilding the car and adding some new goodies as well as body and made a new wing ( you know how I am with my wings!!)
Funny thing is that before i installed the chassis i went ahead and dremeled the motor mount slots but when i went to install the engine TeamC had already moved them!! I just didnt pay attention to it, now you can get full mesh without having to modify the slots! Also installed the upgrade engine mount which stiffened up the chassis a fair amount. And put in the 10* caster hubs.


MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #142
Tech Fanatic
 
pressure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bklyn NY
Posts: 907
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
Got the conversion parts in friday and spent all day today rebuilding the car and adding some new goodies as well as body and made a new wing ( you know how I am with my wings!!)
Funny thing is that before i installed the chassis i went ahead and dremeled the motor mount slots but when i went to install the engine TeamC had already moved them!! I just didnt pay attention to it, now you can get full mesh without having to modify the slots! Also installed the upgrade engine mount which stiffened up the chassis a fair amount. And put in the 10* caster hubs.



Nice job Marcus. Let me know when you guys have 2 day races down there.
__________________
ITS COMPLICATED......................
pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #143
Tech Champion
 
MantisWorx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,830
Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressure View Post
Nice job Marcus. Let me know when you guys have 2 day races down there.
SW series Feb 23-24!! Let me know if you can make it, its about 45min from my crib!
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #144
Tech Addict
 
Thunderbunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 707
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressure View Post
Nice job Marcus. Let me know when you guys have 2 day races down there.
RC Pro OnRoad Nationals April 13-14th also
__________________
Chris Jones a.k.a. "Black Jesus"
O.S. l Airtronics l RSD l
DeSoto Racing l Gulf Coast Raceway Porter,Tx
Thunderbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #145
Tech Fanatic
 
pressure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bklyn NY
Posts: 907
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbunny View Post
RC Pro OnRoad Nationals April 13-14th also
Feb doesn't look good but April 13-14 is a possibility. you got PM Thunder
__________________
ITS COMPLICATED......................
pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #146
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 884
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Marcus , does that thing weigh in at 5000 grams yet? It should stick really well.
__________________
People spend their lives worrying about death. I'm sliding in broadside h ollering "Wow, what a ride"
spooky 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #147
Tech Champion
 
MantisWorx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,830
Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky 1 View Post
Marcus , does that thing weigh in at 5000 grams yet? It should stick really well.
3650g empty, the arm braces are 22g each but its at the lowest point possible, most of the 3mm screws are aluminum. wing is made of 1.5mm G10FR4, not the lightest but will flex before it breaks while carbon would just break. The wing is 60g heavier than a lexan one I will take that with improved downforce!
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #148
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Los Angeles Ca.
Posts: 879
Default

In response to the GT8 class cars, GLARCRC does welcome and support the class, looks like 13 signed up so far for the Airtronics race in March. We would be happy to run the class at all other major events and club races,

We have also just recently confirmed that GT8 will be an invited class at the 1/5 scale international challenge this October.

I believe Henry C has confirmed that GT8 will be participating at the next club race, electric and nitro. being a new class this is what we will do to welcome you guys,

Awards 1st-3rd in GT8 Nitro and Electric A main

For the next 2 club races, Sunday race fee for GT8 will be $10.00
(Saturday practice still remains $10.00)

I will also coordinate with Henry C to discuss a possible points series at GLARCRC for the GT8 class beginning in march.

Hope this will entice you guys to come and race with us, it would definately give the class a good boost...BE THERE!!

Glenn Williams
President
GLARCRC
gwilli2001us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:11 PM   #149
Tech Champion
 
MantisWorx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,830
Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)
Default

Maiden voyage with the new chassis and setup. Car was great, there was rain yesterday so there was no grip........for most!! My car was dialed in pretty good, day started with the porsche body and the car felt great but then i put on the Alpha body and it was a night and day difference so that the body i will stick with for now! I am going to put the car on the setup station later tonight and then will post my setup. SWCS series begins next weekend, track will be prepped so I will need to make some minor adjustments but not much. I made sway bars ranging from .078-.110 using piano wire and patience! Also tested RCShox 2 stage pistons and they were wonderfull, increased traction just like they do in offroad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJpec...=youtube_gdata
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #150
Tech Fanatic
 
Joseph16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 787
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
Maiden voyage with the new chassis and setup. Car was great, there was rain yesterday so there was no grip........for most!! My car was dialed in pretty good, day started with the porsche body and the car felt great but then i put on the Alpha body and it was a night and day difference so that the body i will stick with for now! I am going to put the car on the setup station later tonight and then will post my setup. SWCS series begins next weekend, track will be prepped so I will need to make some minor adjustments but not much. I made sway bars ranging from .078-.110 using piano wire and patience! Also tested RCShox 2 stage pistons and they were wonderfull, increased traction just like they do in offroad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJpec...=youtube_gdata
Way better marcus!!!
A lot of corner speed. Looks like the short chassis is the way to go with team c!
Good luck
__________________
Serpent America & Desoto Racing.
Picco - Arrowmax.
PT RC Racing Oils.
Neal Smith Mods.
Alpha Tires and Body.
Joseph16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Micro On Road & 1/18 Off Road Nats Thread RCMadness Micro and Mini Scales 1165 12-15-2013 04:49 PM
Team TTC GT-4 Singapore R/C Racers 7281 12-24-2010 09:45 AM
R/C Stuff Selling Kenneth Tan Singapore R/C Racers 45728 09-09-2009 08:19 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:06 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0