R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #136
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)
Default Update on developments

I have the short chassis conversion in route from China but may have to run the long for the SW series coming up in a few weeks so I need to get it handling right just in case i do not get my parts in time!
One of the things i noticed right before i left to Florida is that with the rear toe blocks in the middle i had 8* of toe in?? so i rigged up the spacers to give me 4.5* but that was still too much. So I redrew the assembly in CAD and figured out the the FR block is .5mm to short per side!! IF any of you have a setup station please verify this. Next step was to machine a new block with proper dimensions, and now i have exactly 3* of toe with the spacers in the middle which means i can go less if needed.

Another issue i was having is chassis flex from the chassis being so long. it would flex in between the braces and make the car hop really bad as the grip got higher, it got bad enough that i actually snapped a front driveshaft from traction hop! There are a few things causing this to happen. One is the fore mentioned chassis flex second is the fact that the arms are made for off road thus they need to flex to keep from breaking. Down side to this is that in on road racing since there is so much grip the arms would actually twist and snap back which also makes it hard to stay consistent . My cure for this is arm braces screwed to the bottom of the arms! while installing these braces i also notice that the arms were slightly "bowed" which makes it hell to keep your ride height constant. This is now fixed:

Ok so now thats figured out, i decided to basically go back to the stock setup except for remove the rear sway bar, Serpent white front springs, shocks all the way down in front , up in rear on the tower and ride height at 8.5 f/r. we are still discussing options for changes with Team C so not sure if we will go with current shocks and upgrade spring kits or go with short shocks all the way around and utilize Serpent size springs but maybe come out with spring rates in between. The results of these changes are promising! most noticeable thing about the braces (arm and chassis) is that on exit the car is smoother and more predictable. I spent all day tuning the engine and testing Merlin fuel(EXCELLENT stuff!) and made no changes to the setup which was my intent. I think with only a few minor roll center adjustments it can be quicker! Enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tXHoR6XP6w
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #137
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
I have the short chassis conversion in route from China but may have to run the long for the SW series coming up in a few weeks so I need to get it handling right just in case i do not get my parts in time!
One of the things i noticed right before i left to Florida is that with the rear toe blocks in the middle i had 8* of toe in?? so i rigged up the spacers to give me 4.5* but that was still too much. So I redrew the assembly in CAD and figured out the the FR block is .5mm to short per side!! IF any of you have a setup station please verify this. Next step was to machine a new block with proper dimensions, and now i have exactly 3* of toe with the spacers in the middle which means i can go less if needed.

Another issue i was having is chassis flex from the chassis being so long. it would flex in between the braces and make the car hop really bad as the grip got higher, it got bad enough that i actually snapped a front driveshaft from traction hop! There are a few things causing this to happen. One is the fore mentioned chassis flex second is the fact that the arms are made for off road thus they need to flex to keep from breaking. Down side to this is that in on road racing since there is so much grip the arms would actually twist and snap back which also makes it hard to stay consistent . My cure for this is arm braces screwed to the bottom of the arms! while installing these braces i also notice that the arms were slightly "bowed" which makes it hell to keep your ride height constant. This is now fixed:

Ok so now thats figured out, i decided to basically go back to the stock setup except for remove the rear sway bar, Serpent white front springs, shocks all the way down in front , up in rear on the tower and ride height at 8.5 f/r. we are still discussing options for changes with Team C so not sure if we will go with current shocks and upgrade spring kits or go with short shocks all the way around and utilize Serpent size springs but maybe come out with spring rates in between. The results of these changes are promising! most noticeable thing about the braces (arm and chassis) is that on exit the car is smoother and more predictable. I spent all day tuning the engine and testing Merlin fuel(EXCELLENT stuff!) and made no changes to the setup which was my intent. I think with only a few minor roll center adjustments it can be quicker! Enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tXHoR6XP6w
Good luck with all the testing. make it happend!
Neal Smith Mods.
Alpha Tires and Body.
Joseph16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #138
Tech Rookie

Nice Car!!!
C.Krieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:17 AM   #139
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hopefully I will order one next week!
Old 02-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #140
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggindude6969 View Post
Hopefully I will order one next week!
My short chassis conversion is due to arrive today Sean so next weekend you can take some laps with it. Tomorrow i will be running the long chassis at Mikes and it is handling very well If the Short chassis is quicker at all things are going to get interesting because its very good right now!
Old 02-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #141
Tech Champion

Got the conversion parts in friday and spent all day today rebuilding the car and adding some new goodies as well as body and made a new wing ( you know how I am with my wings!!)
Funny thing is that before i installed the chassis i went ahead and dremeled the motor mount slots but when i went to install the engine TeamC had already moved them!! I just didnt pay attention to it, now you can get full mesh without having to modify the slots! Also installed the upgrade engine mount which stiffened up the chassis a fair amount. And put in the 10* caster hubs.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #142
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Got the conversion parts in friday and spent all day today rebuilding the car and adding some new goodies as well as body and made a new wing ( you know how I am with my wings!!)
Funny thing is that before i installed the chassis i went ahead and dremeled the motor mount slots but when i went to install the engine TeamC had already moved them!! I just didnt pay attention to it, now you can get full mesh without having to modify the slots! Also installed the upgrade engine mount which stiffened up the chassis a fair amount. And put in the 10* caster hubs.

Nice job Marcus. Let me know when you guys have 2 day races down there.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #143
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressure View Post
SW series Feb 23-24!! Let me know if you can make it, its about 45min from my crib!
Old 02-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #144
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressure View Post
RC Pro OnRoad Nationals April 13-14th also
Thunderbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #145
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbunny View Post
RC Pro OnRoad Nationals April 13-14th also
Feb doesn't look good but April 13-14 is a possibility. you got PM Thunder
Old 02-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #146
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Marcus , does that thing weigh in at 5000 grams yet? It should stick really well.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #147
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky 1 View Post
Marcus , does that thing weigh in at 5000 grams yet? It should stick really well.
3650g empty, the arm braces are 22g each but its at the lowest point possible, most of the 3mm screws are aluminum. wing is made of 1.5mm G10FR4, not the lightest but will flex before it breaks while carbon would just break. The wing is 60g heavier than a lexan one I will take that with improved downforce!
Old 02-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #148
Tech Fanatic

In response to the GT8 class cars, GLARCRC does welcome and support the class, looks like 13 signed up so far for the Airtronics race in March. We would be happy to run the class at all other major events and club races,

We have also just recently confirmed that GT8 will be an invited class at the 1/5 scale international challenge this October.

I believe Henry C has confirmed that GT8 will be participating at the next club race, electric and nitro. being a new class this is what we will do to welcome you guys,

Awards 1st-3rd in GT8 Nitro and Electric A main

For the next 2 club races, Sunday race fee for GT8 will be $10.00
(Saturday practice still remains $10.00)

I will also coordinate with Henry C to discuss a possible points series at GLARCRC for the GT8 class beginning in march.

Hope this will entice you guys to come and race with us, it would definately give the class a good boost...BE THERE!!

Glenn Williams
President
GLARCRC
gwilli2001us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:11 PM   #149
Tech Champion

Maiden voyage with the new chassis and setup. Car was great, there was rain yesterday so there was no grip........for most!! My car was dialed in pretty good, day started with the porsche body and the car felt great but then i put on the Alpha body and it was a night and day difference so that the body i will stick with for now! I am going to put the car on the setup station later tonight and then will post my setup. SWCS series begins next weekend, track will be prepped so I will need to make some minor adjustments but not much. I made sway bars ranging from .078-.110 using piano wire and patience! Also tested RCShox 2 stage pistons and they were wonderfull, increased traction just like they do in offroad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJpec...=youtube_gdata
Old 02-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #150
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Maiden voyage with the new chassis and setup. Car was great, there was rain yesterday so there was no grip........for most!! My car was dialed in pretty good, day started with the porsche body and the car felt great but then i put on the Alpha body and it was a night and day difference so that the body i will stick with for now! I am going to put the car on the setup station later tonight and then will post my setup. SWCS series begins next weekend, track will be prepped so I will need to make some minor adjustments but not much. I made sway bars ranging from .078-.110 using piano wire and patience! Also tested RCShox 2 stage pistons and they were wonderfull, increased traction just like they do in offroad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJpec...=youtube_gdata
Way better marcus!!!
A lot of corner speed. Looks like the short chassis is the way to go with team c!
Good luck
Neal Smith Mods.
Alpha Tires and Body.
Joseph16 is offline   Reply With Quote