Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
LiFe 1400mah swollen >

LiFe 1400mah swollen

LiFe 1400mah swollen

Old 02-01-2012, 03:02 AM
Tech Champion

Default LiFe 1400mah swollen

My mistake I forgot to unplug battery from car receiver until I discover it one month later, which is last night.

My LiFe 1400mah is swollen. One cell is swollen pretty big. The battery is also dead with 0 volts reading. It wont take any charge under LiFe or LiPo charging mode.

So I decided to play with it before I finally throw it away......

I give a charge Ni-Mh mode at 1.4A , and the battery accept the charging process. I can see the voltage is going up from 0.0v to 2.4v, 2.5v, and so on.

I keep charging it untill 15 minutes later, I switched to LiFe mode with balancer cable on. The charger keeps charging the battery for sometime , however I decided to stop it and be smart rather than sorry. ( I'm worried the battery might explode / catch fire when battery is reaching its peak ).

What cause it to swollen ?

I have one spare battery fully charged ( before storing ) and yet, it is still get swollen.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asw7576
I have one spare battery fully charged ( before storing ) and yet, it is still get swollen.
I was under the impression to not keep these LiFe packs, or any lithium packs for that matter, fully charged if storing for awhile.

I've been using two LiFe packs (maybe the same brand as you, IP's?) one in my MTX4 and 733 for a couple years now without any degradation or swelling issues.

Btw, I don't use a switch in nitro so my batteries are never left plugged in. Maybe good advice now after your unfortunate mishap?

All in all I wouldn't be too upset if mine go bad. I consider LiFe to be relatively good cheap receiver battery alternatives. Well, considering what we used to pay for supposedly high quality Nimh's that seemed to lose a third of their capacity after a year anyways.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:58 AM
Tech Elite

2 Tylenol and an ice pack usually helps me with swollen parts

Sorry, couldn't resist...
Old 02-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stefan
2 Tylenol and an ice pack usually helps me with swollen parts

Sorry, couldn't resist...
Old 02-02-2012, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

you could charge it outside in a liposafe container ontop of non flammable ground to see what happens, but as theyre pretty cheap to replace, you might feel better about storing a new one in your house.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Look at it this way. You could keep the battery, charge it outside, store it in a lipo charging pack when not at the track. All this time you will be worrying about a potential chemical fire. Or dispose of it properly, and purchase yourself a new battery so you can enjoy the hobby safely. The new battery is cheap compared to the treatment for even a minor chemical burn.