Wiki Posts
Search

4th annual TIMEZONE GRAND PRIX July 20,21,22, 2012

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Tech Addict

Smile

Originally Posted by Connor B.
How would it fry my engine? Im running a converted ofna 1/8 buggy platform center diff with... i think and aftermarket 3.5" ofna motor...
im not sure if it will survive because i bought it a month ago, is this a good platform?

Connor...are you familiar with the back straight at the Timezone outdoor road course?

That's a long haul to repeat for a full race with a single speed.
Fortunately I only had to suffer a few laps at the end of the main where my 2 speed stopped shifting and my engine
gave it's best.......had to be rebuilt when I got home days later.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I believe we should have the $200 or less rule... first because some of us just dont have the money to go out and spend on motors here and there like its nothing, and second with a $200 rule it will be closer and harder racing. So people will actualy have a chance to win like me im only 17 and dont have $200 just to spend out on an engine so i think we should have the limit to have closer racing....
Thats just my 2 cents....
I completely understand yet I firmly believe that raising it to 250-280 will help everyone. Just a quality Buggy Engine IMO is needed.

Most of these 200 dollar engines have multiple problems right out of the box. Crappy bearings, Crappy Carbs, Sleeves and pistons made from let’s just say material that doesn’t last long & or is very unforgiving to people that are still learning how to tune. Things like this turn many people off to Nitro.

Other side of the coin is just because you have an Italian made engine does not mean it will be simple for a newbie or someone experienced to tune, but NOW you can throw out the Crap bearing and Carb Piston/sleeve out of the equation.

Makes no sense to buy a let’s say Axial 28 Spec Engine then replace the Carb with a Nova or OS Carb to make it run better might as well buy a Nova or similar Italian Buggy engine and be done with making crap smell like fine perfume.

Would like to add I am NOT TRYING to buck any rules of the Fine Time Zone Crew, just sharing what I feel many people also agree with that I race with.

Conner hope you understand what I am trying to say my intention is not to strip a young man out of all your cash. Times are tuff all over, this just makes sense to me.

See you in July
Old 04-06-2012, 07:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

How would it fry my engine? Im running a converted ofna 1/8 buggy platform center diff with... i think and aftermarket 3.5" ofna motor...
im not sure if it will survive because i bought it a month ago, is this a good platform?

The car should survive and handle the race just fine. But not having that taller gearing of the 2 speed is going to way over rev your engine down the straight. I know that some of the guys with GT cars last year were pushing their engines' limits down that straight with a 2 speed. One even still cooked his engine. Would definitely be worth investing in either a Kyosho or Ofna 2 speed.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't want to spend for a new junk engine when I have several between the $250-$300 mark. I'm not trying to push anyone into a $500 engine, just hate to have to waste money on an engine for one race. GT should be run like all the other nitro classes. Open. I will be at the race and comply with the rules as I did last year. Just give us a break and let us run some decent engines.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Tech Adept

well then looks like im out of this race...
I dont have the money to buy a 2 speed or a new motor and i think that this is what's turning people away, the steep prices and no close racing at all..............

I believe if we lower the prices more people will get into it, instead we just raise them...
Old 04-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Tech Regular

I dont have the money to buy a 2 speed or a new motor and i think that this is what's turning people away, the steep prices and no close racing at all..............

I believe if we lower the prices more people will get into it, instead we just raise them...
The GT class is about as cheap as you can get to race nitro on road. You don't have to put a 2 speed in, but it'd make things easier. If you can just find a good mix of gearing you'll be able to do it. But just fatten up the hsn a little more than you think you'll need.

You're engine should be plenty fast enough to keep up. But I mean, the race is in July, save 20 bucks a month and snag a Kyosho shoe type 2 speed to throw in there.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I dont have the money to buy a 2 speed or a new motor and i think that this is what's turning people away, the steep prices and no close racing at all.............. :
Well all the post I have seen are by racers who have been where you are and are trying to help you have fun. Running cheap engines that don't or will not hold a tune are a pain. Over working your engine to run on the long straight will not be good for it. If I were to make a sugestion, get the 2 speed as it is a better bang for your buck. Plus will help save the engine you have. But if this is out of of your budget, come race the qualifiers (as you will not overheat the engine as much) and then decide if it is going to work in the main.

My Guess is the Timezone crew will have the same $200 limit as they did last year (would like this upped to $250 or $280, but that is me) and there were some cars that ran a single speed which worked. But as was noted, the engines were toast or close to toast when done.

So if $80 for a 2 speed saves your $200 engine is it worth it? If you spend the extra $50 on the engine and you get the $115 carb that you purchased to make your $150 engine work is that worth it.

That is all we are saying.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Grenade10
Well all the post I have seen are by racers who have been where you are and are trying to help you have fun. Running cheap engines that don't or will not hold a tune are a pain. Over working your engine to run on the long straight will not be good for it. If I were to make a sugestion, get the 2 speed as it is a better bang for your buck. Plus will help save the engine you have. But if this is out of of your budget, come race the qualifiers (as you will not overheat the engine as much) and then decide if it is going to work in the main.

My Guess is the Timezone crew will have the same $200 limit as they did last year (would like this upped to $250 or $280, but that is me) and there were some cars that ran a single speed which worked. But as was noted, the engines were toast or close to toast when done.

So if $80 for a 2 speed saves your $200 engine is it worth it? If you spend the extra $50 on the engine and you get the $115 carb that you purchased to make your $150 engine work is that worth it.

That is all we are saying.
You dont get it...i dont get allowance and i dont have a job (which i am trying to find). How do you expect me to just go out and buy all these things when I HAVE NO MONEY?!?!?!

I do agree with you about buying a two speed but i have no money.
I do agree with you about the $250 Rule, but if we get these engines any more farther apart from each other then there will not be any compitition....
Like i said if we want younger drivers to come to more races then we have to lower the prices of everything...

Like it has always been said,
People with the most money get the most speed.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Tech Addict

Smile E Ticket Ride

Connor...the comments have been meant to be a help.

If all of us had the same engine and you were the only one
without a 2 speed, you could not keep up. That,s just the
nature of our GT cars. In europe you'd do okay in 'rallye'
because they ran those cars without 2 speed. I saw one blog
where that may change to allow 2 speed.....then you're
'lapped traffic' again.

Your signature is 'Go big or go home', I might try 'Stay even
or get run over'.

Without a 'disposable income' GT racing is a stretch, these cars
need to be fed parts....often. We've got guys that unload some of
their lesser used toys to feed the GT habit but it's a personal
choice and may not bring maximum joy. Personally, my only
passion is GT. I do have an Inferno 7.5 but in a moment it can
become another GT race car.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Conner,

While Team Ipanema will obviously not be attending this event due to the spec tire restriction rule, here’s some advice that might help you out anyway.

If you’re running the Force .28 engine, you have plenty of torque to play with. You can spruce up the engine with a new connecting rod and ceramic bearing to allow it to spin freely & survive the longer straight sections. Don’t know which pipe set you’re using, but something that will aid to increase torque output should help too.

I believe you can also run as tall as a 17T clutch bell with some 1.1 clutch springs to allow for a higher “stall speed” before engagement and reduce the possibility of engine “bog”. This should allow you to run similar to European Rally Game racers on your track.

Another thing you can consider is aerodynamics. A more efficient body design will allow your car to cut through the air with less parasitic drag or wind resistance, resulting in less strain to your engine during the mains where it counts the most.

Hope it helps, maybe we’ll get to race with ya’ll next time.

All the best!
Old 04-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

OK so I just finally saw the thread over on the nitro section, guess it escaped me.

OK CONNOR... back when you showed up the entire Hooligan crew adopted you and tried to help with countless free tires, free entry and a TON OF VALUBLE advise. This class is as entry level as you will get for 8th Scale Nitro, the rule have been adopted from the best of what the nation is doing and have been in place long before you did not take our advice and went and purchased a car that is not really in the format of the rules and you clearly could not afford.

What were you going to do for entry fees, tires, and fuel for this anyway...

Now you sit here and Whine to all of us to change the rule so you can play... We continually told you that until maybe you actually have a job that nitro was not a smart decision, we gave you three or four little HPI cars that you could get your feet wet with in nitro and would work possibly fine in the 10th scale class. Please refrain from the constant dribble of not having any money and drop back down to a class you CAN AFFORD to Run....

This is a NATIONAL CALIBER NITRO Race and maybe until you get a job or the cash you should sit it out and run the Photon you got last or your new IGT year at our many Thursday nights or Saturday club races through the upcoming season.

Sorry guys to attack him he is a fine young lad, but we have over a and over again tried to help and get him in the sport and guide him along but like many teenagers refuses to listen,, also tried to get him up at the carpet track all winter long to learn from all of us and have constantly tried to help him with his limited budget....

SHOOT YOUNG MAN I SOLD you a $125 servo for $30 bucks like 8 months ago and never saw you again all winter... you never even paid that off how can you possibly run and 1/8th scale gas car.

Sorry having a terrible week and was quite taken back by Connors responses, the Hooligans have and always will adopt and help the new guys out as much as possible, but if you want to run with the big dogs then you have to stop peeing like a puppy
Old 04-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by scary_jerry
Connor...the comments have been meant to be a help.

If all of us had the same engine and you were the only one
without a 2 speed, you could not keep up. That,s just the
nature of our GT cars. In europe you'd do okay in 'rallye'
because they ran those cars without 2 speed. I saw one blog
where that may change to allow 2 speed.....then you're
'lapped traffic' again.

Your signature is 'Go big or go home', I might try 'Stay even
or get run over'.

Without a 'disposable income' GT racing is a stretch, these cars
need to be fed parts....often. We've got guys that unload some of
their lesser used toys to feed the GT habit but it's a personal
choice and may not bring maximum joy. Personally, my only
passion is GT. I do have an Inferno 7.5 but in a moment it can
become another GT race car.
Really because last years TZ 3 hour enduro race no one broke a thing?
Old 04-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MAD916
OK so I just finally saw the thread over on the nitro section, guess it escaped me.

OK CONNOR... back when you showed up the entire Hooligan crew adopted you and tried to help with countless free tires, free entry and a TON OF VALUBLE advise. This class is as entry level as you will get for 8th Scale Nitro, the rule have been adopted from the best of what the nation is doing and have been in place long before you did not take our advice and went and purchased a car that is not really in the format of the rules and you clearly could not afford.

What were you going to do for entry fees, tires, and fuel for this anyway...

Now you sit here and Whine to all of us to change the rule so you can play... We continually told you that until maybe you actually have a job that nitro was not a smart decision, we gave you three or four little HPI cars that you could get your feet wet with in nitro and would work possibly fine in the 10th scale class. Please refrain from the constant dribble of not having any money and drop back down to a class you CAN AFFORD to Run....

This is a NATIONAL CALIBER NITRO Race and maybe until you get a job or the cash you should sit it out and run the Photon you got last or your new IGT year at our many Thursday nights or Saturday club races through the upcoming season.

Sorry guys to attack him he is a fine young lad, but we have over a and over again tried to help and get him in the sport and guide him along but like many teenagers refuses to listen,, also tried to get him up at the carpet track all winter long to learn from all of us and have constantly tried to help him with his limited budget....

SHOOT YOUNG MAN I SOLD you a $125 servo for $30 bucks like 8 months ago and never saw you again all winter... you never even paid that off how can you possibly run and 1/8th scale gas car.

Sorry having a terrible week and was quite taken back by Connors responses, the Hooligans have and always will adopt and help the new guys out as much as possible, but if you want to run with the big dogs then you have to stop peeing like a puppy
OK first off i am deeply sorry for what i have said and i have spoke out of turn please forgive me im going to stick to just electric this year.

Secondly i have decieded that im not going to run IGT this year due to several reasons.

And third i will pay you all back that i owe money to such as the servo and hpi cars...

I am very sorry for what i have said and done i just spoke too much out of turn and am going through some difficult times with my life right now.
Is there any way i can pay you back?
Old 04-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Tech Regular

Really because last years TZ 3 hour enduro race no one broke a thing?

Alright guys, lets not turn this into a flame war. Connor, we're just trying to guide you, make racing easier on ya. Take everything that gets posted for what it is. Most of us are speaking from years of experience racing multiple types of RC's. 1/8 GT is definitely one of the most affordable classes you can run, but it still takes some cash spent in the right areas to compete.

Now you are correct, they don't have to be fed parts, but that all depends on your driving.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by C-Trickle
Alright guys, lets not turn this into a flame war. Connor, we're just trying to guide you, make racing easier on ya. Take everything that gets posted for what it is. Most of us are speaking from years of experience racing multiple types of RC's. 1/8 GT is definitely one of the most affordable classes you can run, but it still takes some cash spent in the right areas to compete.

Now you are correct, they don't have to be fed parts, but that all depends on your driving.
Im sorry i do take your advice to heart.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.