Wiki Posts
Search

HPI ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 09:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Default HPI ???'s

Hi everyone,

Just looking for some opinions. I was looking into the HPI RS4 3 18SS and the RS4 3 EVO. I've been looking around on the net and the reason I am interested is the large selection of body's. I'm into modifying cars, (particularly Mustangs and Fords) and HPI has the Ford GT and the new Mustang body. My main concern is top speed, acceleration, and upgradability. I looked on HPI's website, and looked into engine upgrades and all they had was some kind of 1.35hp version of an engine to fit the r40, so does this mean there is not an upgrade for the engine for the rs4's?? Are there any 3rd party companies that make higher hp engines for these r/c's that you would recommend? While I probably will never visit a track, just want something that will go fast (50-60mph, willing to modify to get that spd) and will be able to upgrade later. Also, just to double chk, all the 200 mm bodies should fit both models, right??

Thanks
Old 12-02-2005, 10:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The RS4 3SS is very fast if you mean straight line speed, its easy to work with also very durable and parts are easy to get. There are many factory and aftermarket hopups as well. The engine from the SS is pretty strong already, but if you want a faster engine, any new .12 .15 and .18 (.12 based) engines with Rotary carb (also check the crack shaft) should fit into the car. However, IF you do plan to join any race, the R40 will be a much better choice since its a race purpose designed with optimised performance and handling. You can also choose higher performance engines (such as Novarossi, RB, etc). You should check the R40 thread for MUCH more details. And any 200mm body will fit these cars. Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 12-02-2005, 10:06 PM
Tech Adept

I like my RS-4 2. Very fun car. Put an O.S. .18 motor in it and that thing screams.

Got some chrome wheels and a Ford GT body waiting to be painted.

200mm bodies should fit both.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:33 PM
Tech Master

The HPI bodies will fit any brand of touring car. Just make sure that you get a 10th scale 200mm nitro kit. You need to stick with the 200mm bodies as well. Electric touring cars 10th scale use 190mm bodies. The 200mm and 190mm refer to the width. Also, any deceint nitro kit will go over 50mph. You can get a kit with no motor and pick your own to use. Just make sure the motor has the correct output shaft. If you get one of the RS4 varients, you need to choose between side and rear exhaust motors as well. If you just want to go fast, the OS .18 TZ has crazy power and is reasonably priced.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:17 AM
Tech Adept

I have a RS4 RTR 3 Evo.
I killed my T15 engine (not a bad engine) by hydrolocking it with ARO.

Then I put a OS 18CV-RX on it: fits right in (with Wolfpack Radicals adjustable engine mounts) and I can still use the Rotostart (I replaced the CV-RX pullstarter with rotostart backplate).

I also put a THS pipe on it and geared it as high as possible.
This engine has plenty of power for this car.

Some pics of my nude HPI and one with (non-HPI) body and aluminium/rubber wheels.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:17 PM
Tech Rookie

i need a good engine for my rs4 too. with the OS 18CV-RX do i need a rotary carb one or slide? and is then what just the engine mount?