Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro pit stop Etiquette?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Nitro pit stop Etiquette?

Never raced Nitro before only indoor carpet 12th and F1, I was wondering what's the Etiquette for pit crew? do people generally fuel eachother when not racing, or are you expected to bring a pit crew?
Old 01-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Tech Addict

Bring someone is OK or, just like you someone is looking for a pit guy, maybe you can work out a deal
Old 01-23-2012, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Default Pit Lane - 6 seconds of glory or glum

Originally Posted by JamesHealey
Never raced Nitro before only indoor carpet 12th and F1, I was wondering what's the Etiquette for pit crew? do people generally fuel eachother when not racing, or are you expected to bring a pit crew?
Best have a pitman in a class that's in a heat that doesnt impact marshaling

Pitman should face the pit entry and watch for cars coming into pits when placing car down, there's nothing a driver can do while car is off the track. Driver manages pit lane traffic on exit once car is safely placed in pit lane.

Many pit lanes have a line that pitmen must stand behind up until it's time to refuel. Refueling over pitlane will often lead to a penalty.

In Australia, while your pitbox may be numbered and your starter box and equipment resides there, the pitman can move in pitlane to be under the driver and refuel for better communication.

Apart from a start, pitmen are not permitted on track but can leave the pit area to collect parts from the garages. There is often a pit ENTRY and EXIT for pitmen.

Australian rules, practice heats and quals allow for one pitman, finals allow for two. There are rules regarding communication, no headsets or wireless devices are allowed.

Have fun...
Old 01-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thats something that I find strange. I dont get why IFMAR doesnt allow headsets, it would make the pitlane more quite(and less distracting for the drivers) if they were allowed, specially at world events. Can anybody explain?

Also, Im hard of hearing, so if I were to race at a track with a really high driverstand(something like Lostallo) I wouldnt be able to hear my pitman when he calls me in.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nitrodude
Thats something that I find strange. I dont get why IFMAR doesnt allow headsets, it would make the pitlane more quite(and less distracting for the drivers) if they were allowed, specially at world events. Can anybody explain?

Also, Im hard of hearing, so if I were to race at a track with a really high driverstand(something like Lostallo) I wouldnt be able to hear my pitman when he calls me in.
I'd guess it's quite likely to open up issues regarding radio interference.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:42 PM
Tech Champion

1. Mechanics or pitmen must stand behind the line.

Mechanics can cross the line only when they are doing refueling / servicing.

Drivers' view are often blocked when mechanics are standing on the pitlane.

2. Mechanics dont run to pick up trouble cars on the track. Only marshalls pick up trouble cars and hand them over to mechanics.

3. No swearing words.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

blis is probably right in the interference issue, though with 2.4 now so common it would surely now be a non issue.

I know I'd personally love a radio link to my pit man, or driver, I generally have good hearing, but really poor ability to separate noise/sound in a crowded sound environment, 9 times out of 10 I can't make out anything being on either end of full to near full heat race.

Give me a UHF, some earpieces and a throat mic and I'd be stoked...
Old 01-24-2012, 01:28 AM
Tech Addict

That's the first sign of hearing loss, i should know I'm a professional musician who's made a living from being loud. And my hearing ain't so sharp anymore!

Originally Posted by Bishop
blis is probably right in the interference issue, though with 2.4 now so common it would surely now be a non issue.

I know I'd personally love a radio link to my pit man, or driver, I generally have good hearing, but really poor ability to separate noise/sound in a crowded sound environment, 9 times out of 10 I can't make out anything being on either end of full to near full heat race.

Give me a UHF, some earpieces and a throat mic and I'd be stoked...
Old 01-24-2012, 08:16 AM
Tech Addict

your not hard of hearing ur attention span is short.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

some tracks wont let the pitcrew (refueling guy) out on the pit lane if he wasnt wearing safety gloves and/or was smoking. Steel toe boots arent overkill, so if the race director sees a potential for serious injury from wearing flipflops in the pit lane, then he has the right to throw the pitcrew out if they dont listen to warnings about safety

Some of the tracks we race are quite short (height wise) so we developed a system of 'tapping shoes' and sign language. the last thing I want to do is to scream over the sound of the nitro engines