Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Glow Plugs. Which One to use?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 01:45 PM
Tech Addict

Glow Plugs. Which One to use?

I just recently found out that I am an idiot when it comes to glow plugs. So I figured I would try to start a tread about them. I hope this one gets some attention.

So just to start things off. With high nitro are you supposed to run a cold or hot plug. I was always under the asomtion that you used colder plugs with higher nitro.
Old 06-18-2002, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

The higher the Nitro the Higher or Colder the Plug. I run 30% Byrons Fuel and I usually use the NovaMega 7 Turbo Plug. I had a hard time with the #6. I gave it to a friend that was using 20% Odenell fuel and it worked for him.
Old 06-19-2002, 05:19 PM

The higher the fuel percent the colder the plug is true but I thought for longer tracks the colder the plug will result in more power at the end of the straights and just the opposite for shorter tracks. I also use 30 percent fuel and seem to have better luck with a #7 turbo plug on short tracks and a #6 on long tracks.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:14 PM
Tech Elite

in my 1/10 scale I only use MC9s in my 1/8 I run Novarossi #7cold plugs in my Picco G1 Pro engine and Use #5 or plug in my R1 Race engine.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

I am running both Novarossi S5 and RB 5 port. I was told to use, by a very experience boat racer to use the hottest plug possible so I always use Novarossi #5.
Always have good power from it, and just started using 40% nitro. Never short of power and haven't have any problem with the plug hot plug.

I tried once with a #6( med cold) plug, the temp drop 15% right away without any adjustment on the needles. ( using 30%)
After adjustment and the car seem to run well. But when I tried to restart, the plug broke then I decided to stick with #5.

I am sure there are advantage of using different plug, please share your expereinces guys.

Last edited by kitracer; 06-19-2002 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-20-2002, 12:21 AM

Somebody post this in the Richey Modified forum Dennis will be more than happy to clea it up!
Old 07-08-2002, 09:24 AM
Tech Addict

I just got a collari xs12 5port Turbo and need to know what plug I should run with 20%.
Old 07-08-2002, 09:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by TambokGT
in my 1/10 scale I only use MC9s in my 1/8 I run Novarossi #7cold plugs in my Picco G1 Pro engine and Use #5 or plug in my R1 Race engine.
Tambok - Are you running 30% in your 1/10? I'm running 20% Trinity and the MC9s seemed inconsistent. I've switched to the MC59s and haven't had tuning inconsistencies since.

Also, does anyone know if the OS R5 is hotter than the A8? I was was told that it was but could never get a "dependable" opinion. The OS 12TR comes with an A5 right?
Old 07-09-2002, 10:15 AM
Tech Addict

The TR does come with the A5. I put it in my .12 CVR with 22% nitro and it runs cold.