Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foam tire Q&A

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 10:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Foam tire Q&A

I would like to start a thread to discuss foam tires. We run on a pretty high bite non-treated surface and it seems that 45F/42R shore setup works pretty well. Among the array of brands, ring patterns, multiple compound, and varying widths out there, what do you guys run and how do you find wear and chunking? I just want to know what brands I should invest in and this is the best way to find out. Thanks guys.
Old 06-07-2002, 10:46 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

FAST/Ellegi 40sh rears are good for about 20 tanks.......Fronts are good for about 35-40 tanks!!
Old 06-08-2002, 02:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Cool.....so how many of you use tire truers to compensate for the faster wearing rears? I remember using them for pan car racing and how much fun that was
Old 06-08-2002, 11:05 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Not entirely necessary...but its a nice to have item.

I use to buy 2 pairs of rear for 1 pair of fronts. Wear the first pair of rear almost half way. Swap that out with a new set of rear.......wear that one completely...and then put the first half worn set of rear back on the car. The remaining 4 will wear out together at the same time!!!!
Old 06-08-2002, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally posted by island-guy
Cool.....so how many of you use tire truers to compensate for the faster wearing rears? I remember using them for pan car racing and how much fun that was
Most of the tyres coming from the GRP factory(eg FAST, SPRINTS, ELLEGI etc etc) come standard with 65mm diameter foams, In my opinion these need to be trued down to be competitive. Most of the guys here automatically true them down to a minimum of 62mm straight out of the box. The car is more responsive, runs a correct (or better) overdrive and seems to be less likely to chuck.

dtm- how do you get so much wear out of your tyres?
Old 06-08-2002, 01:44 PM
Tech Addict

This is kind of like asking "which engine is better?". You can ask 100 people and get 100 different answers. It all depends on car setup, track, driving style etc. What works for one of us, may not work for you. I personally prefer Super G, Yokomo, Elligi (in that order), but I nkow plenty of guys that think Super Gs are the worst tire out (I think Proline has the worst tire out).

I don't know how dtm gets that much wear either. I go by minutes. I can usually get approx 50 min out of a set of fronts, and 25 -30 minutes out of my rears depending on track temp and how hard I push the car. Like dtm, I rotate my "scrubbs" regularly to keep my overdrive a decent split.
Old 06-08-2002, 02:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally posted by tekrsq
This is kind of like asking "which engine is better?". You can ask 100 people and get 100 different answers. It all depends on car setup, track, driving style etc. What works for one of us, may not work for you. I personally prefer Super G, Yokomo, Elligi (in that order), but I nkow plenty of guys that think Super Gs are the worst tire out (I think Proline has the worst tire out).

I don't know how dtm gets that much wear either. I go by minutes. I can usually get approx 50 min out of a set of fronts, and 25 -30 minutes out of my rears depending on track temp and how hard I push the car. Like dtm, I rotate my "scrubbs" regularly to keep my overdrive a decent split.
I get similar wear on my foams (usually FAST) on most tracks, just was intrested how dtm was getting so much life out of the tyres (so I can save some money ).

Switching the left/right works, but your overdrive and handling will change due to one side of the car wearing out faster then the other (eg softer tyres on the rear will wear out faster then the rear)

On the MTX for example:

62mm 45 fronts
62mm 40 rears

Drive= 1.000

Midway through there life :

Fronts now say 61mm
Rears now say 59mm

Drive =1.034- Not much change but something similar to a change in a pulley size on the drivetrain. Not to forget you'd also need to compenstate and adjust new ride heights, camber etc etc -I know, I know- Im only being really picky

I also agree with you, Proline's are very inconsistent as they wear, and the rim they come mounted on is too weak.
Old 06-08-2002, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

I get ok wear, not as good as dtm with FAST tires on my V1R. I get about 25 tanks in the front and about 16 in the rear. I don't true my tires down either, just run them from 65mm. Unless you run on an extremely high bite track I have not found much need to true them down. They are a little more squirmy when new, but I just drive around this.

Also with the overdrive change I dont really notice it much as well as long as the diameter difference is not that large.
Old 06-08-2002, 09:59 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Novarossi

Most of the tyres coming from the GRP factory(eg FAST, SPRINTS, ELLEGI etc etc) come standard with 65mm diameter foams, In my opinion these need to be trued down to be competitive. Most of the guys here automatically true them down to a minimum of 62mm straight out of the box. The car is more responsive, runs a correct (or better) overdrive and seems to be less likely to chuck.

dtm- how do you get so much wear out of your tyres?
I don't true (except very occasionally)......so I'm starting with 3mm more than you!!!!!
Old 06-08-2002, 10:04 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by tekrsq

OMG.....30 minutes!!!! If you consider 7 minutes per tank.....that means you are getting 4-5 tanks from your rears!!!! thats pretty damn quick!!!!!

Actually a lot depends on the track surface......the track I run has fairly smooth asphalt...for the rough stuff it is like running on sand paper!!!!
Old 06-08-2002, 10:08 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

Oops...I just worked out my calcs again!!! I was working on how many bottles of fuel I get through in a day ......about a bottle and a half ....(at least). Only problem was that I assumed each bottle was 1 litre........oops...it is only half a litre bottle I have....

divide those figures I gave by 2............10 tanks for rear and 20 tanks for fronts..............

hmmm...that reads better!!!!! BTW I normally don't go down the the rims before I throw out.....usually still have around 1-2mm of foam left on the rims when I chuck!!!

Sorry guys!!!!!

Last edited by dtm; 06-08-2002 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-08-2002, 11:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the info so far guys. In regards to being like which engine is better, it's not really. I don't drive like a pinball nor do I slide my car around. I guess I just drive as fast as I can without sliding and very little contact with the track borders. I'm interested in how you guys are experiencing wear with the different brands and multiple foam compounds, that's all. I really like my FAST tires and will try the wider rears. Thanks!
Old 06-09-2002, 06:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hi guys,

1 question..

is it a good practise to use the same shore both front and rear or mixed? example 37/37 or 40/37?

which task would you guys choose? Swap tires or re adjust the car ? to get more bite?
Old 06-09-2002, 10:48 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by fuse01
Hi guys,

1 question..

is it a good practise to use the same shore both front and rear or mixed? example 37/37 or 40/37?

which task would you guys choose? Swap tires or re adjust the car ? to get more bite?
Doesn't really matter...but if you need to run a difference of more than 5 shore on the car to get it to run well.....then you probably have the car setup problem........

I guess that answers your second question too!!
Old 06-10-2002, 03:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What diameter should I stop running the foam? 58-59mm ??? Any advise will be appreciated.

TIA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.