R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Tire truers which one to get? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/587758-tire-truers-one-get.html)

nmdesertracer 01-15-2012 10:24 AM

Tire truers which one to get?

Im looking to get a tire truer but need help which one to buy. I know Hudy and Ofna make them. Now im not hardcore on-road guy do you think the ofna cheaper manual tire truer would be ok or should i get one of those automatic truers?

bfong13 01-15-2012 10:42 AM

The OFNA manual tire truer is fine. I used one for over a year. I have a Hudy automatic tire truer now, but the OFNA manual tire truer is fine, if you're not looking into spending too much money.

brosla7 01-15-2012 01:52 PM

3racing automatic truer is the best value for money
http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...ersion-p-14270

Erchur 01-15-2012 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by nmdesertracer (Post 10174206)
Im looking to get a tire truer but need help which one to buy. I know Hudy and Ofna make them. Now im not hardcore on-road guy do you think the ofna cheaper manual tire truer would be ok or should i get one of those automatic truers?

If you are not a hardcore on-road racer save yourself some money and borrow your friend's truer when needed on occasion. If you use it often enough to justify buying one, you are likely more hardcore than you give yourself credit for. Hudy is definitely the best truer, and worth the investment, you will only spend money on a truer once going the Hudy route.

nmdesertracer 01-16-2012 02:31 AM

Thanks guys! Man I wish the Hudy truer came with a built in coffee pot for that price.. After talking to some fast local racers I think im gonna stick with rubber tires. They run foam tires and told me you gotta adjust your FDR and this and that. Sounds like more then I want to inbark on.

Woodlands Racer 01-16-2012 02:34 PM

You have a PM.
Roger

nikoskar 01-16-2012 10:23 PM

I am using 3racing tire truer with hudy cutting system over 3 years and most of the time more than10 sets. Super perfect and value for money.

Notice: When using hudy cutting system your are -10mm, for example if you want to cut 62mm you need to set truer to 52mm. Other way Hudy is the Best but your pocket is more empty than 3racing.

TomB 01-16-2012 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by nikoskar (Post 10183271)
I am using 3racing tire truer with hudy cutting system over 3 years and most of the time more than10 sets. Super perfect and value for money.

Notice: When using hudy cutting system your are -10mm, for example if you want to cut 62mm you need to set truer to 52mm. Other way Hudy is the Best but your pocket is more empty than 3racing.

you can adjust the hudy truer to cut exactly as you would like. All you need to do is get a set of tyres cut them down then measure the foam. you can then unscrew the grub screw for the dial and move it to the correct measurement.

remember when you set the truer dial, if you use a set of 40 shores it will read most accurately with a set of 40's. for softer tyres it will cut off a little more and for harder tyres it will cut off a little less.

so, if there is a shore you use most often set the hudy tyre truer dial using your most used shore foams.

Hudy truer WITH THE CARBIDE BLADE is the best on the market. Make sure your Hudy truer has a carbide blade if you buy one second hand.

rmdhawaii 01-17-2012 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by TomB (Post 10183434)
you can adjust the hudy truer to cut exactly as you would like. All you need to do is get a set of tyres cut them down then measure the foam. you can then unscrew the grub screw for the dial and move it to the correct measurement.

remember when you set the truer dial, if you use a set of 40 shores it will read most accurately with a set of 40's. for softer tyres it will cut off a little more and for harder tyres it will cut off a little less.

so, if there is a shore you use most often set the hudy tyre truer dial using your most used shore foams.

Hudy truer WITH THE CARBIDE BLADE is the best on the market. Make sure your Hudy truer has a carbide blade if you buy one second hand.

You know, I always wondered about that! Thanks! :smile:

Pooh2 01-17-2012 07:53 AM

One word, HUDY!!!! I've had mines 10 years and it's still going strong!

Geezatec 01-17-2012 08:12 AM

Hudy I've been useing the last 20 yrs, and still useing it with no problems. Being racing since '84. Other comments were made of trueing Shore and diameter. Shore the density of tire should should be thought of. Softer shore give a bit less to cut. Diameter i.e. to removed 10mm you do not remove 10mm, You remove 5mm. easy geometry!!! Remove 5mm of a circle, 180degree it removes 5mm again, total 10mm. Got it!!!

Also The Hudy Truer cuts conical angles makes it easier for racers. May take a while to get familier with it. Expensive true!! Use it correctly, it last you the service it lasted me!! Take 2 to 3 passes of trueing not 1 bite, Hardcore racer do!!

Good luck!!!

Bishop 01-17-2012 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by nikoskar (Post 10183271)

Little bit of white tape with a pen mark on it, and you have an accurate cut mark again, did this on mine and it's good for within .5mm.

And really, stick a carbide bit on damn near any truer, and they cut like a champ, 3-Racing truer with a GQ/CRC/Calendra bit cuts as good as anything, I tested it to around 5mm cuts, and you could have run the tyres without needing the return pass cut.

I walked away after using my 3-Racing with GQ bit, and a friend impressed with the cuts cranked it up to near 6.5mm on 8th scale rears, I cringed when he told me, but apparently the motor never even slowed down...

With what I have seen of the GQ bit I bought, it cuts better than a Hudy bit, leaving a smoother finish, though to be fair I know most of the Hudy bits I have seen in use are often quite old, and my bit is brand new.

Mr Nimrod 01-17-2012 08:30 PM

To answer the original question...... Yes the cheaper manual truer will be fine for your needs. I have used these and they do the job no problem. Or if you wanted a cheaper end automatic truer then the 3 racing is good.

GREGORY! 01-18-2012 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bishop (Post 10188338)
Little bit of white tape with a pen mark on it, and you have an accurate cut mark again, did this on mine and it's good for within .5mm.

And really, stick a carbide bit on damn near any truer, and they cut like a champ, 3-Racing truer with a GQ/CRC/Calendra bit cuts as good as anything, I tested it to around 5mm cuts, and you could have run the tyres without needing the return pass cut.

I walked away after using my 3-Racing with GQ bit, and a friend impressed with the cuts cranked it up to near 6.5mm on 8th scale rears, I cringed when he told me, but apparently the motor never even slowed down...

With what I have seen of the GQ bit I bought, it cuts better than a Hudy bit, leaving a smoother finish, though to be fair I know most of the Hudy bits I have seen in use are often quite old, and my bit is brand new.

what power supply do you use?pen mark?couldn't you reset it by unscrew the grub screw?is it a big diff that can not take it from this setting maybe?

Bishop 01-18-2012 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by GREGORY! (Post 10189869)
what power supply do you use?pen mark?couldn't you reset it by unscrew the grub screw?is it a big diff that can not take it from this setting maybe?

Sorry, only problem with the 3-Racing unit is it was designed with a bit of hacksaw blade in mind when they did the markings, and the carbide bits have a fair size difference.

The bit of tape and pen is me just being lazy, you could permanently scribe/grind of even have professionally laser engraved a new mark on the chamfered section in front of the original mark, but the pen mark works remarkably well so far...

Power wise, well I'm lucky, at our club, we have several high capacity batteries hooked to a rail and a full tyre truing bay area, amps is not an issue on club days...

But, I was still doing 5mm cuts at home off a car jump starter pack, which I tend to give a fresh top up with my RC charger just before I use it, or I also have a 5000mah 14.8V battery in my starter/bump box, both of which seems to do the job.

The 6.5mm cut was at the track though, still can't say I'd recommend trying it, I'm sure something in the truer would have been close to overload (possibly), we get people popping truer fuses at the club every so often, lot of amps makes people go for gold on the quick single pass speed cut before a heat... :lol: