R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-30-2004, 03:27 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default new guy with nitro evader.. any help?

hi, new to this forum..
i posted this in the off road forum, but maybe you can help me here being that it's really an engine question..

i was given a duratrax nitro evader ST for christmas from my wife. I have driven it the last couple of days, did the proper break in procedure, etc,
yesterday, when i was driving it, it would cut out any time i came to a hard stop. it was running great while on the trottle, but if i made a sharp turn and had to slow down quickly... it would die. then i wouldn't be able to restart it for 10 minutes.

today, i went to try and use it this morning, and i can't even pull the pull start. it's very hard, and only allows about 1 full crank roation. i thought maybe it was flooded, but it wasn't. while the plug was out (checking flood), it cranks easily, without effort using the pull start. when i put the plug back in, i can hardly pull it. and you can hear pressure, and a sliht bit of fuel being forced out around the glow plug???
any help or ideas? i emailed DTX, but haven't heard anything. I would like to take advantage of the nice days coming up this week.

thanks and happy holidays.
fga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 03:51 PM   #2
Tech Addict

As far as the engine stalling, it might be the idle is set too low, or it is too rich on the low end. Either way your manual should tell you how to adjust these settings.

As for the starting. If your engine is out of tune, it will be that much harder trying to get it to start up easily. Try to keep it in tune and it will start up in the first or second tug on the rope.
Also, if it feels very tight (and you're sure it's not flooded) it might be the engine's "pinch" that you're feeling. Eventually the pinch will fade away and the engine will become easier to turn over. In cold weather or while th engine is still new, you can heat the block up with a blow dryer or heat gun. This will make it alot easier to start!

Hope this helps.
j240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 04:10 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

i've seen people talk about pinch. in this case, its not only hard to pull, almost impossible. i feel like i'm breaking something by trying to pull on it once. would that still be the pinch? thanks for getting back to me, my car is in pieces on my table.
fga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 07:39 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to BuggyMulisha

you mentioned theres nitro leaking from the glow plug. if its coming out from the base of it then you will need to tighten it or get a new gasket. if it is coming out of the glow plug itself, you need a new glow plug. also make sure your pullstart isnt busted, maybe something is jamming the spool or something. just for the heck of it, try to turn the flywheel; make sure you turn it the correct way or you could possiby F-up your pullstarter, then if you can do it by hand try pulling it and see what happens. if you dont want to try to do anything yourself you could simply take a drive to your LHS, im sure they know whats up.
BuggyMulisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 12:02 AM   #5
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Make sure you check the adjustment of the ball diff as it will probably come a bit loose after you have run it in.

If you don't it will slip and won't take long to melt the diff gear.

It does sound like it is flooded, it doesn't take much to flood them either.

The pressure line into the tank goes too far to the bottom of the tank so when you stop the motor it sucks up some fuel into the pressure line and into the exhaust. Depending upon how you carry the truck this can simple run back into the motor via the exhaust port and flood the motor.

You'll have to take the plug out and pull the motor over to get it out to get back to square one and try to start it again.

Out of the box they seem to be about half a turn too rich as well on the bottom end adjustment so you could try and lean it a little there but it will depend upon your choice of fuel and the conditions that your using in.

The servo saver spring on the left steering bellcrank could be loosened up a bit too. It may help your steering servo last a bit longer as the gears in the servo are a bit brittle.
Craig1 is offline   Reply With Quote