Search
Like Tree7Likes

After run & lubrication oil for nitro engines

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 11:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Default After run & lubrication oil for nitro engines

Hello folks,

I've two old used engines in my possession. One is an HPI 15FE and another a Force .12 engine. Both are in pretty good condition with good compression. But the later engine is quite dirty and needs a teardown and clean up. After cleaning the parts, I plan to use some oil to slide the cylinder liner and the piston itself to slide it in properly. Also I want to lubricate the portion where the crankshaft goes to the connecting rod. I've a Grape oil brand Grade 9 lubricating oil(used in bicycle chains, drill machines, sewing machines etc) and a Almasol 609 purple gear oil as lubricants with me. I also have Solder Gunk Silicone oil too but it isn't a viscous oil. Is it advisable to use any of these? If not which is the one I should specifically look for.

Now coming to the after run oil I found these oils to be pretty costly here in my place. Can I use Automatic transmission fluid (ATF) instead?

Thank in advance.

Last edited by NitroGod777; 07-08-2019 at 05:47 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

A cheap alternative to all of those is 3-in-1 oil. That’s fine for rebuilding engines and using as an afterun oil.
Personally I use Novarossi oil to rebuild engines and as an afterun oil.
shiston and NitroGod777 like this.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:45 AM
Tech Master

Yes, ATF will do the job. I personally use a mix of ATF and regular sewing machine oil (or air compressor one, just basic technical oil you get in a hardware store) as an after run oil and as an engine assembly oil. Adam Drake posted a video of him using a mix of ATF and WD-40 as an after run oil, but I'm happy with my mix. On a side note, you can also use ATF on one-way bearings
NitroGod777 likes this.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:53 AM
Tech Lord

Just get a small bottle of afterrun, it will cost you a few bucks and you will use it for more than 2 years.
1/8 IC Fan likes this.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:15 AM
Tech Regular

Blaster ATC. This a pneumatic air tool oil in a 11 oz spray can, that works fantastic. The 11 oz can will probably last you 3 lifetimes used as a after-run oil. The can sprays a pencil stream that is perfect for aiming at carb openings or glow plug holes.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by UrabusDenis
Yes, ATF will do the job. I personally use a mix of ATF and regular sewing machine oil (or air compressor one, just basic technical oil you get in a hardware store) as an after run oil and as an engine assembly oil. Adam Drake posted a video of him using a mix of ATF and WD-40 as an after run oil, but I'm happy with my mix. On a side note, you can also use ATF on one-way bearings
I've only ATF and the grape brand lubricating oil I had mentioned before is used for sewing machines etc. So, I'll ty to make a mix of them for now and use it until I buy an After run oil.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Thank you all for the suggestions. I found that in the US the After run oil goes between $7 to 14. But here in my place it is 3 to 4 times that price. Guess I'll stick with the ATF+Lubrication oil mix for now until I order one from the US when I plan to get a new nitro and some spare parts from there in next month or two.
my94mustangt likes this.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by P2gee
Blaster ATC. This a pneumatic air tool oil in a 11 oz spray can, that works fantastic. The 11 oz can will probably last you 3 lifetimes used as a after-run oil. The can sprays a pencil stream that is perfect for aiming at carb openings or glow plug holes.
This is something I'll definitely look into. I think my workplace should have it. Is this like a aerosol spray or regular lubricant?
Old 07-09-2019, 07:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by NitroGod777
This is something I'll definitely look into. I think my workplace should have it. Is this like a aerosol spray or regular lubricant?
Sometimes local auto parts stores will have it in stock ( Oriellys, NAPA).. If not , the Blaster part # for the 11oz spray can is : 16ATC.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

Talking

Originally Posted by P2gee
Sometimes local auto parts stores will have it in stock ( Oriellys, NAPA).. If not , the Blaster part # for the 11oz spray can is : 16ATC.
He is in Saudi Arabia. I dont think there are any Oriellys or NAPA auto stores in that country..after looking theres these.
Al Makhuzan Al Amreci for auto parts,Sulman Al Musa,Ali auto parts. and a few others.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Marvel Mystery Oil
NitroGod777 likes this.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Hello friends, I hope you can help them.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nitrodude
Marvel Mystery Oil
Is this still a thing? Only reason I ask is, I always used this as afterun oil for the Nova Mega SX .12 in my old Serpent Impulse. Only downside is, that after long term storage, it gummed up the internals of the motor big time. I know - my fault for not running it, but the RC Racing scene (both electric AND Nitro) in my area literally died back around 2001-2...
Old 07-15-2019, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

Oops, dbl posted...

Last edited by TurnNBurn; 07-17-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i have been using mobil 1 or whatever remaining engine oil after i did the oil change every year for the last 20 years, never have any issue, never gummed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.