Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yokomo GT-4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 05:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by jwf-ronni
I was wondering if anyone has a copy of The OverDrive Chart that was once made by a Yokomo Driver.?

It was previously posted on the yokomousa website a few months ago but I was not able to print one up..

Any help on it would be greatly appreciated by another Yoke buddy. Thank you much
The chart was mine. I'll send you a copy now
Old 02-13-2003, 05:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by taybelZ
just wondering, does anyone know if Yokomo is intending on bringing out a new nitro touring car soon?
I"m in the market to buy a nitro car, just for parking lots and the GT4 seems to be best value for money, and most durable, however dont' want to be buying it when couple months later new/updated model comes out. I know models are constantly worked on, just don't want to buy close to the new release thats all.

Also how do people find teh RTR gt4 inparticular the engine/ and radio.
The S is the latest release. Other than that Yokomo wont update for at least another year. Watch this space for aftermarket help though.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by modellor
The chart was mine. I'll send you a copy now
Hi modellor,

Got you PM and sent one right back at you
with my email address..

Thanks so much for your help!
Old 02-13-2003, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

Hey Ron, are you switching to the MTX-3 also? Francis said he's been running the MTX-3 more that the NTC3. I was thinking about replacing my Yokomo but I just like it too much.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Default Switching

Originally posted by rod_b
Hey Ron, are you switching to the MTX-3 also? I was thinking about replacing my Yokomo but I just like it too much.
No I probably wont be switching to the MTX3. I am sure its a nice car because a lot of guys have switched to it but maybe not me.

I have had the baby Yoke for a long time now and it is still a very good car to me. Plus, I have invested so much on parts and all that, it would be very hard to do a switch. But if ever I will get another sedan (whatever it may be), my Yoke will still be a keeper.

Besides, the GT4 is already Race Proven and the MTX3 isn't yet. I guess we'll find out more after the up coming Sedan Nationals, huh?

Are you running the Nats with your Yoke?
Old 02-15-2003, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

Modellor,

Got the Overdrive Chart today and just wanted to repeat my Thanks!
Old 02-15-2003, 09:19 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Switching

Besides, the GT4 is already Race Proven and the MTX3 isn't yet.

GOOD POINT!!!! HERE !!!HERE!!!
Old 02-15-2003, 09:23 PM
Tech Master

Modellor,

Got the Overdrive Chart today and just wanted to repeat my Thanks!
No problem jwf_ronni.

The percentages on the bottom chart are for 65mm rears. These will change with other diameter tires so you will have to use the formula to find the best outcome.
Old 02-16-2003, 08:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

hey modellor could u send me the overdrive chart too? my email is [email protected]
Old 02-17-2003, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Default Rear Solid Axle

I tried using the Rear Solid Axle before on a large track composed of High Speed Turns with a couple of hair pin turns too. I must say that I like how the car handles with it but one problem I have encountered is:

Coming out from the hair pins, the car tends to spin out when I tend to power out too much. This just meant I had to baby the throttle a little bit to keep it from spinning out but this also meant that I had to be slower..

My initial thought was that the car had too much more power coming out from the rear than the front. Would you therefore think I should add more overdrive to the front to help solve the problem? Or should I do something else.?

I really like having the Solid Axle on because it suites my driving stlye more.

Thanks in advance for your help guys,
Old 02-17-2003, 04:26 PM
Tech Master

Hi Ron,

Before you increase the front overdrive, check all the pivot ball joints on the rear suspension. If one is even slightly tighter than the rest it really annoys the set up on the Yokomo. I found that one out the hard way. Fought and adjusted the car all day long and still the same outcome. You will know if this is the problem if the car can power out of the turn to the opposite side.

If not then you will maybe have to adjust the percentage of overdrive.

Have you tried using a solid axle in the front and rear. It is a lot more stable and far faster. It also works on both fast flowing tracks and shorter twistier tracks.

I have used it and at first when I mentioned it on the Yok forum everyone laughed and said that it couldnt work until they tried it.

I use mainly the stock rear pulley and alloy front pulley unless I need more pull on really twisty tracks. On twisty tracks I run a 2mm split and on really fast flowing tracks I will run 3 or 4mm split between front and rear tires.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Modellor,

Checked my Pivot Balls and they seem to be evenly tight and free enough to move..

I guess this leaves us with the addition of over drive.. Will try it out at the track this weekend and let you know...

This is acrually why I requested a copy of your chart..

Thanks again!
Old 02-17-2003, 11:56 PM
Tech Master

FINALLY!!!!

Short track gearing.

We had a bunch of GT-4's at our local small/medium size parking lot track when Yokomo first released the car but slowly people started to get rid of them because they couldn't gear them low enough to get good acceleration without overheating.

Hopefully, these parts will make the GT-4 more popular. IMHO, the GT-4 still has one of the best suspension designs/geometry among todays nitro TC's.

http://www.team-orion.ch/global/global_news.asp?id=1597

I'm sorry if this is old news.

Last edited by FREAKAH; 02-18-2003 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:53 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by FREAKAH
FINALLY!!!!

Short track gearing.
Ummm, that's interesting. The Serpent Impulse or the 705 for that matter never shined on small technical tracks. Reason being is that the internal drive ratio is also 2 !!! Well, with the new optional pulley set on the 705, the internal drive ratio only goes up to 2.136. I don't think that is enough though for short tracks.

Can anybody post what are the original pulleys that come with the GT-4? What are the available pinions and pulleys?

Also, what is the number of teeth for the rear belt in the original kit?

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:22 AM
Tech Master

Funny you mention Serpent. We only have one left at our track but the owner(a die hard Serpent fanatic!!) is contemplating on getting a NTC3. Parts prices and availbility dont help either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.