R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Quick question on transmissions (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/57940-quick-question-transmissions.html)

compaq888 12-20-2004 12:01 PM

Quick question on transmissions

This is more of a general question.

I have a centrax transmission and I can switch pinions on my clutchbell by just removing them and putting other pinions on the clutchbell, but my question is how do you remove the pinion from a clutchbell after you have locktite it on?

This is a Kyosho V one RR

I've used blue locktite, not the red one.

jas1 12-20-2004 12:38 PM

locktite was a bit of an exteme measure, i've had a pinion come loose.

in the uk theres a chemical called accatone, it dissolves super glue, we use it for removing rubber tyres off the rims so we can use the rims again. i would see if you canfind a similar product

compaq888 12-20-2004 01:29 PM

you are suppose to use locktite in order to keep the gears from falling off. I need to take them off in order to change them. Buying clutchbells and new pinions is going to be quite costly.

Racing4Evo 12-20-2004 02:14 PM

I use a pinion remover from Mugen. Kyosho also makes one.

I never put thread lock on the pinions since the way it rotates self tightens the pinion on to the clutch bell. Never have I had a pinion come off on it's own.

compaq888 12-20-2004 04:53 PM

I asked that AH10 and he told me about that tool, and i called hobby shops that carry them but currently they are out of stock.

I almost lost the thrust bearing and the rest of that stuff, it was barely hanging on the shaft, the pinion did fall out and we had to search the track but luckily we found it and I put it in my box. I need this tool in order to switch some gears, my gearing right now is not helping me out on the track.

Taylor-Racing 12-23-2004 02:27 AM

Warm up the clutch bell with a heat gun. This will soften the locktite.

You shouldn't need locktite for pinions as Racing4Evo explains. We actually use anti-sieze . . . . copperslip or something similar.

compaq888 12-23-2004 02:33 AM

thanks for the tip, I already got the gears on the car. Data gave me 2 clutchbells and more gears so I already installed everything.

Do you think when I'm going to be rebuilding my engine I should put boca bearing on the engine crankcase, because I know some people are doing it. Not on the pilot shaft, but inside the engine, where the crankshaft sits on it?

Taylor-Racing 12-23-2004 02:56 AM

Originally posted by compaq888
Do you think when I'm going to be rebuilding my engine I should put boca bearing on the engine crankcase, because I know some people are doing it. Not on the pilot shaft, but inside the engine, where the crankshaft sits on it?
Sorry, haven't used Boca bearings but many people seem to be quite happy with them.

compaq888 12-23-2004 03:04 AM

I want less friction so I can get more rpm.

Taylor-Racing 12-23-2004 03:08 AM

Ahhh . . . OK.
Then the ceramic variety is what you need.