Search

new car

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 08:19 PM
Tech Rookie

is there anyting wrong with the ofna... is it a good car or a piece of s***
Old 12-18-2004, 11:05 PM
Tech Addict

some people like them. personally i think they are a POS. they offer supposive bang for the buck, but the problem some of the stuff is really lacking in quality department. their force engines were always a concern; they make thunder tiger look good. and the plastics they use dont seem to be as nice as other manufacturers. also their initial cost may be low, but some of their parts can be as costly if not more than other manufacturers.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Icon --> I saw aty the worlds the Ofna CD3 and its nothing about bad quality ... its top of the line kit !

And about buying a new car, think about the Yokomo GT43W2L ... i know its an old deseing but competitive as the best ... and you have a lot of parts support cause Yokomo made it compatible with the RTR line ...
Old 12-20-2004, 01:08 AM
Tech Addict

like i said, some people like them cuz of the "bling factor" without costing as much as kits from other manufacturers. their stuff has gotten better but i still do not think they produce cars of equal quality to say Kyosho or Mugen.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Heres something that will show how close a lot of the "top" cars are in terms of lap times--
RC Car Action put 10 of the top nitro kits up against each other in their 2004 Touring Car magazine.
All cars ran the same motors, servos, tyres, fuel, radio, drivers (4 drivers each using all cars), body etc etc......so in theory we could say this is as level a playing field as possible.
Heres the results from the fastest lap time for each car--- note how close the majority are.....

1. Kyosho FW05R--- 11.148sec
2. Serpent 710--- 11.674sec
3. HPI R40--- 11.677sec
4. Factory Team NTC3--- 11.708sec
5. Mugen MTX3--- 11.719sec
6. STS Pro 10--- 11.751sec
7. Trinity G4--- 11.854sec
8. Schumacher Fusion R12--- 11.803sec
9. LD3 Pro--- 11.954sec
10. GS Vision Pro--- 12.045

This to me really shows how close the majority of the cars are (although the Kyosho FW05R is a good half second ahead of the majority).
It would also be interesting to see how the VoneRRR wouldve fared against these, considering in the Worlds the Kyosho drivers opted for the RRR over the FWO5R because they thought it was quicker.
One interesting comment made by a number of the test drivers was that they thought the Serpent 710 really needed a big track to show its full potential.......so it may well be that the test track used was smallish and perhaps "evened" the field a bit.
Cheers
Old 12-21-2004, 07:38 PM
Tech Adept

I think the one thing that alot of people tend to forget in on road racing, is that just because you have the "fastest" car does not mean your are the best driver. Most on road driving is done at lower speeds and requires more control of the steering than w.o.t. The only time having the fastest car will do you any good is if you have a large track with long straights, but if you get he lead there can you keep it by out driving the other guy in the corners, this is where the races are won and lost.

Fast is fun, but you want a car, no matter which you think is the best, that you can control and grow into or possibly beyond.

Having owned numerous vehilces like NTC3s, Yokomo GT4, GS Vision, and my own "favorite" the Team Magic G4 pro. I have had the easiest time learning to control the G4 of all the above and the least problems. I still own my Vision and run it balls out as a 1/4 mile street racer which with some gearing and lightening it is very fast, but I only have to pull the trigger get off the line first and keep it straight.
My G4 on the other hand is very fast as well, but spends much less time at full throttle, and more time having the throttle rolled on and off of in and out of corners.

Just my 10 pennies of what to consider when buying on road cars and the preconception of more speed makes a better car.

Bryan
Old 12-22-2004, 03:13 AM
Tech Champion

Here is the race result from recent 1/10 IFMAR World Championship 2004. RC Car Action can test all kind of cars all day long and report whatever they like, but this is the world championship. Wrong car, No Win.

1st : Adrien Bertin, V One RRR
2nd : Takaaki Shimo, V One RRR
3rd : Chris Tosolini, V One RRR
4th : Josh Cyrul, V One RRR
5th : Ken Furukawa, V One RRR
6th : Mark Green, Serpent 710
7th : Francesco Tironi, V One RRR
8th : David Spashett, V One RRR
9th : Michael Salven, Serpent 710
10th : Teddy Syah, V One RRR

Do you still doubt to buy V One RRR ?
Old 12-22-2004, 03:35 AM
Tech Addict

I'd go for the V one RRR, I have seen it run on the track and even stock it will get better times than the other cars that are modified.

The car is vey planted, very very agile, where other cars break traction the V one RRR grips and keeps going. It is one of the lowest weight cars so it is fast too.

I have the V one RR and it is a huge improvement, unless the car is setup right it will run crappy and understeer like a mother. But when it is set up right and you got the right foams it corners on a dime and sometimes the rear slides, I haven't seen that with the RRR. It drives like a tank but very fast, and tanks don't slide
Old 12-22-2004, 10:05 AM
Tech Adept

This all about how you set up your car, very little to do with the brand name itself.

Handling and drivability are results of a well dialed suspension.

I am not knocking the RRR as it is a very nice car and a durable car, much the same as many other we could name off, but you have to remeber that just because you buy the car that placed well in the last world championship does not mean you can drive it to the championship.

Bryan
Old 12-22-2004, 11:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default buy??

Pick any car you like and fits your budget....then go to your local shop and see if they have parts in stock...no parts support equals no racing if you/when you break!!!!

Any of the cars listed here is great but until you learn how to drive it it won't make a difference one bit what you buy!!!! Buy what you like, yes some cars handle better out of the box...some are more tuneable etc....

As for the top car or driver...if you ever saw them [the pro's] drive you would understand that they are the ones making the car so fast!!!!

The most important thing to ask yourself is WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WITH THE CAR!!!! RACE OR BASH???? then your half way there.....
Old 12-22-2004, 01:51 PM
Tech Adept

Exactly...