Question about tire widths and setup.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about tire widths and setup.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 07:23 PM
Tech Adept

Default Question about tire widths and setup.

I have a question that seems to have the people at some of the L H shops,

I typically run 26mm 40 shore fronts and 30mm 35 shore rears.

but I found a killer deal on some great practice tires. TRC tires on close out for $6.00 a pair, but they are all 26 mm front or rear.

my question is if I run 26mm rear do I need to go with a harder, softer or stay the same on the shore and if I need to change, up or down what shore should I try.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Bryan
Old 12-13-2004, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

The 26mm have less grip than the 30mm so you will need to try and increase rear grip to compensate. The actual amount you lose will depend on the grip of your track surface. Hard to make a call without testing.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Pitstops,
Be shore that they are not the Front/Rear version of TRC tires as you will definitely ave some traction issue. Try to stay with a front specific tire and a rear specific tire because they usually are made of different foam densities and that does matter. Also I've learned that some deals are to good to be true. Find out what the shelf life is on these tires because you would not want to run dry old tires. I learned the hard way!
Old 12-16-2004, 08:48 PM
Tech Adept

I did notice that I have to be cautious of the front/rear thing, though I did figure for what I am paying for them it really doesn't matter at $3.00 a pair espically since I will only use these as practice tires. My race tires I will still run my standard ellegi or fast tyre sets. I also have the ability to put my hands on them to make sure they are not dry rotting.

Thanks for the input and I will buy accordingly.

Bryan
Old 12-18-2004, 04:01 PM
Tech Adept

I would recommend running 30 mm rear tires. It's just not worth it to have your car hit the boards
Twister Tires have some great deals. Check it out.

www.twistertires.com
Old 12-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

It's kinda stupid to practice with something other than what you are going to race with. Unless you have a durometer to check shore ratings between different brands, you're wasting your time by saving just a few dollars..... not to mention the car will handle differently with various width tires......