Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
HPI RS4-3 Thread >

HPI RS4-3 Thread

HPI RS4-3 Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 02:41 PM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I dont spend 200$ on stuff that I know is going to do nothing but hurt the car's performance. I mean there is a certain logic that can be used in R/C for purchases. Buying anything just for the sake of buying it is fine if thats your thing. For me, I prefer to keep my money in R/C going to bettering cars with potential. I can even understand people blinging their car out with full aluminum setups. I mean atleast your doing something with the car "making it look cooler". Whereas this setup is just... bad. It takes everything people know about making a good handle'n car and trys to forget it, and purposely makes a car thats tail happy. ALso the kit doesnt come with a sway bar so the sway is not the reason the ass end whips around now for drift.

Yes its a Toy car, but I could buy a full set of Ceramics for one of my cars that have a chance to win a race in a parking lot or a prepared track for less than that would cost, and the full ceramics would actuall help the car, and not turn it into a drifter.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This latest volley has been amusing, to say the least. Back on page one of this thread, I mentioned that this car was not worth sinking huge chunks of money into to try to make it compete or hang close to the current crop of top-level tourers out there. That money would be better spent on getting a better car but I was told that the investment would be worth it. Now, it is hilarious how the some of the same folks that were steadfast in sinking more monies into their money pit RS4-3 are now speaking out in wasting monies on that car and preaching spending that money on a better car, like the R40.

Clegg, I see you have seen that HPI just made a "give-up" car in the RS4-3 until the R40 came into production. They would have been better served in tweaking the Racer 2 (which is a better car than the RS4-3) in the interim until the R40 came out. Have fun with your R40; you will be much happier.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Please explain to me why people berate others for making personal choices in their rc equipment. Its just a god damn f***ing toy car!!! If you think the r40 is great, ok. If you think the rs4-3 is the worst rc car ever designed for racing, ok. So what???
They are still just toy cars!!! I do not understand why so many people get upset with the choices that other people make. I just got into racing early last year and I think this is a wonderful hobby. But what has surprised me is buying/trying anything
against the grain brings out such strong comments about how stupid we are if we spend/buy/try/like run XXX. My last words to all you flamers is...They are all TOY racing cars!!! I would hate to think what you would say if tried racing a REAL sports like a corvette or porsche 911. Get one of those, spend 100 grand...now you can trash talk or you can die trying to race!!!
Bring on any comment, not bothered by how you feel about any type of rc car but please stop calling me an idiot for running...a toy
car!!!
Old 02-01-2005, 07:47 AM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Being someone who likes to tinker with stuff, I had no problem putting money into my RS4-3SS. I thought it was fun, since everything I put on it was for a specific purpose of making it a better race vehicle.

The issue I have with this Stage D thing is its NOT to help someone make the car a race car. Its purpose designed to throw off the handling of the car to make it drift. And the fact it costs so much for that dis-service.

The car I am running next year is a FW-05RR w/ Kawahara bits. A vast improvement over the HPI in almost every single area. I still love my RS43SS, it was a nice car for running when enough goodies were put into it. But I have far more faith in the Kyosho to be able to deliver.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

RS4lola,

Dude, you need to chill and lay off the caffiene!!! You are taking this way too personal. Most of us know that they are "big boys" toys and don't need the constant reminders. Some of this was helpful hints so that you don't waste monies that could be better spent elsewhere. No one is upset with your choice(s), just lending opinions to make more informative decisions. However, if you like flushing your dollars down the toilet, don't let any of us stop you. Many of us that race these think of them as a little more than toys, however. Call it crazy but most of us have fun running and racing them and take personal pride and many times think of them as more than just "toys". If you are going to be so defensive about others opinions, then you may need to find a different hobby.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Jlock
What can I say??? I am just trying to improve my rs43-ss. If the stage D does not work for racing as I think then I will just use it for drifting only. I appreciate all of the comments on this and other forums and I will be getting better rc cars than the rs43-ss.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

rs4lola,

No problems or ill-feelings, dude. My opinion has been based solely on the performance of the HPI cars in question. I have a Racer 2 and R40 and have competed with both on the club level as well as several HPI challenges and the 2003 HPI World Challenge in Las Vegas. Before the release of the R40, the Racer 2 dominated the RS4-3 at the Challenges that year (most of the A-main challengers were running the Racer 2). At the worlds, the R40 was allowed and all of the A-main racers were running the R40 with the racers running the RS4-3 (no one ran the Racer 2 in the modified nitro class) falling into the B-main. So, from my own observation, I saw that RS4-3 was a give-up by HPI and was going to be prone to problems (I have a NMT, the blueprint for the sedan). It is the only product by them that I am disappointed in. I just hate to see folks sink monies into a car that is not much better than a Traxxas Nitro 4-tec. I just wanted to give you the basis why I have been negative on the RS4-3. I hope that we can be cool in future discussions/debates.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:33 PM
Tech Initiate

JLock
After re-eading those posts I made....I was definitely on too much caffeine. Its this this winter I tell you aswell. RC Racing got me addicted last fall and is very hard to wait until all the snow has gone!!!!
Old 02-02-2005, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by rs4lola
JLock
After re-eading those posts I made....I was definitely on too much caffeine. Its this this winter I tell you aswell. RC Racing got me addicted last fall and is very hard to wait until all the snow has gone!!!!
Again, no problem. You should move further south so that you can race almost year round. Here in Dallas, we have a mix of indoor and outdoor tracks to keep up going all year. However, this covers everything except nitro on-road, which we have to wait on the weather. Your day is coming soon, just drink more hot cocoa!!!
Old 02-04-2005, 12:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default healthy

i see a healthy discussion that gives me a lot of hints.

I may have now the R40 but i couldnt stop myself from tinkering with the RS4 until i broke the Crankshaft, trying to tighten the nut, oh my. Just have to put the RS4 on the box again until i got my ordered crank.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

check out this RS4 3 conversion for drifting called stage d
http://www.hpiracing.com/index2.htm

the video looks pretty cool
Old 02-17-2005, 11:28 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: healthy

Originally posted by billysss
i see a healthy discussion that gives me a lot of hints.

I may have now the R40 but i couldnt stop myself from tinkering with the RS4 until i broke the Crankshaft, trying to tighten the nut, oh my. Just have to put the RS4 on the box again until i got my ordered crank.
Your motor has a threaded shaft that unscrews from the crankshaft. Just go get the threaded portion. Only costs a few dollars. You just need to get the broken part out of the crank.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default rapid roy

thanks, i'll find that out when i get the motor from the shop.

by the way, anybody tried the new rs4 with 18ss motor?
Old 02-23-2005, 06:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

can your 15fe star engine compete in a race?
Old 02-23-2005, 09:37 PM
Tech Master

Sure, my son won the rookie nitro class with a box stock RS4-2. It has a .15FE and a single speed transmission.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.