Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NTC3 RTR plus/ AE .15

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 09:18 PM
Tech Adept

Exclamation NTC3 RTR plus/ AE .15

ok I will be brief, this thing came with a very small carb restrictor as standard, which (after break in) I removed, and now it doesnt seem to matter what I do I cant get it to idle/run without the restrictor , I really want to run it without the restrictor but it doesn't want to agree with me, any tips or suggestions will be greatly appreciated thanks
Old 12-09-2004, 12:06 AM
Tech Adept

hrm... Doesn't ANYBODY use these engines???

BTW it is a rotary carb
Old 12-09-2004, 03:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Gday there Wayne
I`m not familiar with this particular engine but when you removed the restrictor from the carb, it wouldve changed the mixture that the carb is receiving.
You`ll have to retune the engine using the main needle and low speed needle to get the engine running "normally" again.
The removing of the restrictor wouldve allowed an increased air flow into the carb and this in turn has put your engine out of tune.
Perhaps someone who uses this engine has some needle stock settings for using this engine without a restrictor that they could post?...and then you could fine-tune the engine from here.
Hope this helps a bit...
Cheers
Old 12-09-2004, 06:20 PM
Tech Adept

As a last resort I posted a message on ae's team talk message board, they responded with "set the engine to the richest break in setting" which in essence is what I have tried, I suspect I am tuning the wroing way, high speed needle looser == richer? or is it the other way?
Old 12-10-2004, 01:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yep, to richen the main needle you need to turn it anti-clockwise (which winds it out). Its the same for the low-speed needle (which is the screw that`s set in the slide of the carb).
My suggestion would be to richen the main needle one turn from its current setting, then see how its starts/runs, and then work from this setting to fine-tune it. It may need more richening than one turn though, so it may take a bit of experimenting to get it right.
One hint that may be helpful, is wind the main needle all the way in (anti-clockwise), whilst doing this, count how many turns it has taken before the needle stops. Keep a note of this and then wind out the needle back to where you began. You can now use this as a reference point as to where the bad tune was, and richen from this setting accordingly.
Once you have it tuned and running well, again wind the main needle in and count how many turns it took.....keep a note of this setting for future.
Remember, tune will vary with weather conditions, so it will need slight tuning adjustments as things such as temperature, humidity, change of fuel type etc will all affect engine tune.
Cheers