Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ground Clearance issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 10:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Ground Clearance issue

Hi all, im from the UK, and im considering getting an on road, 1/10 or 1/8 scale, to race round the local parking lots and, hopefully, on to the closet club I can find.

My biggest issue I have with these awsome onroad cars is "Ground clearance".

It seems that the videos I watch from the USA seem to have the smoothest tarmac going.

Could all you onroad guys out there please list the ground clearance of your cars so that I might be able to get an idea as to what I can expect from these kits
Old 12-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

For my nitro 1/10 scale sedan: 4-5mm on front and 5-6mm on the rear. Depending on how new and smooth the surface is, i'll go lower sometimes.

For my nitro 1/8th scale on-road: 5-7mm up front and 7-8 mm on the rear. Again, if the surface is new and smooth, i'll drop her down lower if needed.

Just keep in mind regarless of what right height your trying to accomplish for on-road nitro applications, you'll bottom out every so often. I haven't met a racer that didn't have any scratches on the bottom side of his chassis if racing on asphalt or concrete. Goodluck.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks Roger, im on the case. Now I just need to choose my on road "ride"
Old 12-06-2004, 02:13 AM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up thats it

i think that is a good grnd clearance, i use 5mm front, 6mm back
Old 12-06-2004, 03:22 AM
Tech Regular

At my local track.. a bit bumpy, I running 6mm front & rear ride height...
Old 12-06-2004, 11:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i think you just need to adjust it for where your going to run, the track i run at which is a prmanent track and very smooth we run about 2-3 mm to get as low center of gravity as possible and reduce traction roll.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:58 PM
Tech Adept

aight... I have a ntc3 rtr plus, and I have adjusted it to run on like a loose surface sand but still hard and not too flat, (I used rally type tyres btw) and I found that a ride height of 6.5mm all around and the lowest droop possible or number zero on the front and a droop of one on the back worked quite well, I know what I am proposing sounds pretty stupid, but I did it to prove that it could be done and to race a friend with a buggy, he claimed that tarmac wasn't fair and I suppose he's right, but now the challenge is on him to get his buggy to be competitive on tarmac

BTW : we were 2 all in the races, and he didnt want to go for a decider

ALSO : I believe I could have got the car to perform better on the surface, but it got to the point where I just decided "that seems good enough"