Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 On Road Cars for 2012?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 07:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kyosho malaysia
are you sure KM already came out their 1/8 on road kit,as i know they only got 1/10 200mm and 220mm,i was waiting their 1/8 on road kit,i will get it if they have.
You're right, KM have not released their 1/8th yet.

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
I just got a Razor 2 and I can hardly tell the difference between it and most of the others. Same basic setup...even looks like some of the parts are interchangeble, and I know the price is good because I got the kit and a good 8-port engine for a hair over 400 combined. I also have a line on tire foam so I'm saving a buck there. I spent awhile making my decision...I think the price of things has gotten way out of hand to where a lot of people just can't afford to race competitively, and that's a shame. I intend to run the Midwest series this year and see how I stack up, I think I'll do ok, but I know I'll be doing it on a shoestring budget compared to what the other guys are doing it at. I know Mugen is a good product, and many others are as well, but it seems silly to me that the car I just bought looks the spitting image in so many ways as the others but costs less than half, same with the engine. I'm determined to show that you don't have to have top price stuff to do well.
Never heard of Edam. You wouldn't happen to know which online stores sell their kits and parts?
Old 01-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Edam is great company to consider. Here is their direct link:
http://www.edam.com.tw/ or you can look here
http://www.gpmd.com/

I think they might still be working on a current USA distributor at the moment though. TM America I think might still have some parts left from when he was a distributor for them. Let me know if you have any questions about either the Razor V.2 or the Spirit. I'd be more than happy to help ya out!!
Old 01-24-2012, 07:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Distributorship

If I can put the Razor2 in contention I might take a distributorship. I'm semi-retired and have a little time on my hands, so I don't care about making money at it, I'm just more irate with every day at how much stuff is. Now that probably sounds a little funny from someone who used to drive for Delta, but I recall after the initial purchase, I could go to the track all year long with very few spares and race, you had a big layout at the beginning but then you saved money all year long. I find it hard to believe you can't drive, be competitive, AND do it on a reasonable budget that won't have the wife screaming in your ear! The races I went to last year, I saw lots of cars doing quite well...till they hit something, anything...then watching the "dustpan" brigade pick up the pieces and hearing guys scream about how much it was going to cost to put their car back together. What is the point of laying out 600 just for the car if it won't hold up? I researched my purchase for several months prior to buying, and I figure since the Razor2 looks the same, has mostly the same parts, same setup, runs the same tires, bodies, etc., and probably has the same durability or lack thereof, I may as well go with a car that should perform the same but at least not break the budget when it does break down. If I lay out 250 for the car, 120 for a SH 8 port (with mods I do, old school machining from what I learned on Picco's), and can mount my own rubber at 2 bucks a tire my cost, then I can hit the track with an equal chance but have lots less in it than the guy who lays out 600 for a mugen, 400+ for a novarossi, and 20 bucks a pair on rubber. This is not to downgrade mugen/nova, I know this is top of the line stuff, problem is they have top of the line PRICE as well. Hell, I can order a Razor 2 and all the parts I'll need for the full year for less than anything else out there, so for me and my budget, this is a no-brainer. Everyone has to do what works for them but I suppose I really have to thank the team mugen driver who berated me last year at the GLC about how I'd just be the biggest idiot in the world if I didn't give all my old Delta stuff to him in exchange for a mugen (I sold an old P4 last year for 3000, don't think the trade would have been equal somehow since I have a ton of Delta stuff.) Long story short (ha!) I've got my product and I'll race it and report back as to how well (or poorly) I do. If the Razor2 doesn't hold up I'll report that...and if I'm middle of the pack or better I'll report that all things equal, people may as well save a buck and have fun at the same time.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Tech Regular

Sounds great. Let me know if I can help out.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:34 AM
Suspended

Default racing on a budget

Im sure many talented drivers will have to deal with some type of budget like ,myself who has to figure in what you will need to be competitive..now as my own experiences ,I attempted to try and cheaper route with a 1/8th onroad neo saber and it was light years behind ,the more advance high performance kits..the car driving characteristics were almost prehistoric and it open my eyes to ,what is needed to seriously be competitive in forever changing sport ...I'm satisfied with ,my new velox eleven and can't wait to burn some rubber ...

Last edited by pierre johnson; 02-01-2012 at 02:53 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Tech Addict

Default Yeah, but...

Originally Posted by pierre johnson
Im sure many talented drivers will have to deal with some type of budget like ,myself who has to figure in what you will need to be competitive..now as my own experiences ,I attempted to try and cheaper route with a 1/8th onroad neo saber and it was light years behind ,the more advance high performance kits..the car driving characteristics were almost prehistoric and it open my eyes to ,what is needed to seriously be competitive in forever changing sport ...I'm satisfied with ,my new velox eleven and can't wait to burn some rubber ...
There are probably a bunch of people who would like to race, not so much for competition but for the fun of it. It's hard to drive when you spend all your time repairing, or waiting to drive till parts that you can't really afford come in. We desperately need a basic car that doesn't kill the wallet and is sufficiently durable to allow either a newbie to develop skills or the guy who just wants to have fun run laps without taking out a 2nd mortgage. So far, the only contender I've found that meets this criteria is Edam. My shop partner and I have ideas for our own design which we'll work on next winter, but right now the goal is to see just what the Edam can do, and tho I've heard a bit of negativity about it, I want to see for myself what it can do against other cars. Tho I've been out of the hobby a LONG time, what little I ran last year makes me think I've still got average skill, and if the car allows me to finish middle or better in the field, that will tell me we have a viable alternative to the more expensive stuff.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:30 AM
Tech Regular

This past weekend I was able to put the Razor V2 in the A-main at the RC Pro Nationals. Qualified in to 8th and worked my way up to fourth before having a difficulty. Edam is a great choice!!!
Old 04-17-2012, 06:44 PM
Tech Addict

Default Ah ha

Originally Posted by ma racer
This past weekend I was able to put the Razor V2 in the A-main at the RC Pro Nationals. Qualified in to 8th and worked my way up to fourth before having a difficulty. Edam is a great choice!!!
To which I say, bloody well done! By the way, what was the "difficulty" so I'll have something else to look out for..and my partner in crime wanted to know what engine you're running, thanx.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:07 AM
Tech Regular

My difficulty was the brake rotor failing. Pretty much a freak accident I'd say. The car ran well the entire race event. I am running the Sonic V21T motor. It is extremely fast and reliable.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Get yourself the most top current cars & call it a day
Xray,Capricorn,Mugen,Shepherd
Old 04-22-2012, 12:12 AM
Tech Addict

Default Hm

Originally Posted by GMartinez
Get yourself the most top current cars & call it a day
Xray,Capricorn,Mugen,Shepherd
Nothing against those, but ppl should get what they can afford and call it a day. And if Edam can make the show, then there's quite a few of the others that didn't, eh?
Old 04-22-2012, 04:32 PM
Tech Champion

Nothing against those, but ppl should get what they can afford and call it a day. And if Edam can make the show, then there's quite a few of the others that didn't, eh?
LOL the show that only had 14 drivers in that class
No support in the U.S. do I need to keep going on
Not trying to start an arguement the car u are reffering to is outdated technology that was a copy of a car that is discontinued
Old 04-23-2012, 08:36 AM
Tech Addict

Default Hmm

Originally Posted by GMartinez
LOL the show that only had 14 drivers in that class
No support in the U.S. do I need to keep going on
Not trying to start an arguement the car u are reffering to is outdated technology that was a copy of a car that is discontinued
Nah, no argument...not exactly at least. I've looked at all the cars and with slight differences, they are all the same car. It's like someone built a car and then everyone copied it. I've read all the talking points but who am I going to believe, what the factory says or my own lying eyes?? As for outdated, it's the same setup as last years Mugen (and I haven't heard that this years is much different considering Mugen still pushes last years model as well.) As for no support...well, yes and no. I can buy Mugen parts online and wait a week or two to get them. I can order stuff from Taiwan and get it in less than two weeks. Even with shipping and handling, I'm saving over 50%, so if I'm paying half and getting it about the same time frame, I can't see a difference their either. You know, if an Edam got up to 4th, even in a field of 14, that means there were 10 other cars that were Mugen, Serpent, or Xray BEHIND it. And lastly, if I get a few races in and I'm satisfied with the car, I will take a distributorship and provide all the support anyone wants. I'll even guarantee right here right now to undercut any other factory by 25% or more...I don't care if I make a dime, if getting a new car on the market that ppl can afford means I sell at cost, so be it. Let me know who else is willing to do that. I have two goals this year...to have fun and help the hobby. If any of the others had those goals in mind, then we wouldn't be in a position where 14 ppl are in a class. Hey, you don't have to support my goals, you don't even have to like them, but you could at least give them a fair shot unless you've something to add yourself that benefits the hobby (and if you do, you'll have my support.)
Old 04-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Nah, no argument...not exactly at least. I've looked at all the cars and with slight differences, they are all the same car. It's like someone built a car and then everyone copied it. I've read all the talking points but who am I going to believe, what the factory says or my own lying eyes?? As for outdated, it's the same setup as last years Mugen (and I haven't heard that this years is much different considering Mugen still pushes last years model as well.) As for no support...well, yes and no. I can buy Mugen parts online and wait a week or two to get them. I can order stuff from Taiwan and get it in less than two weeks. Even with shipping and handling, I'm saving over 50%, so if I'm paying half and getting it about the same time frame, I can't see a difference their either. You know, if an Edam got up to 4th, even in a field of 14, that means there were 10 other cars that were Mugen, Serpent, or Xray BEHIND it. And lastly, if I get a few races in and I'm satisfied with the car, I will take a distributorship and provide all the support anyone wants. I'll even guarantee right here right now to undercut any other factory by 25% or more...I don't care if I make a dime, if getting a new car on the market that ppl can afford means I sell at cost, so be it. Let me know who else is willing to do that. I have two goals this year...to have fun and help the hobby. If any of the others had those goals in mind, then we wouldn't be in a position where 14 ppl are in a class. Hey, you don't have to support my goals, you don't even have to like them, but you could at least give them a fair shot unless you've something to add yourself that benefits the hobby (and if you do, you'll have my support.)
I know nothing about this car but my guess is your going to find cheap soft plastics that strip out very easily, soft hinge pins that bend and you won't know it till you take the car apart and find your suspension arms are bound up, and just because of the low grade materials used it won't hold a set up for long. I could be wrong but these would be my worries when buying this car. I'm glad I will get a chance to see it in action for myself this summer. When are you coming up to race with us next?
Old 04-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Tech Champion

Here's my support www.kissrcraceway.com
Good Luck in your venture

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.