Quote:
Originally Posted by blis View Post
Another nice video Harry... well done!
Old 06-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #273
Tech Elite

Hey DJ,

You posted this a while back ........ concerning the new "Big-Bore Shocks",

Okay,

So I built the shock this weekend just trying to be prepared for next week. In terms of travel they have plenty so there should be no worries with a track that is bumpy versus flat. Performance we will have to see. I would think that on bumpy track they will be as good if not better based on how my shock felt. The hole in the piston is larger than the standard one, which I like. Instead of 50-55 wt I built them with 60 for the larger hole piston. I also used 1 hole front and 2 rear, as that is what I always run as a standard (better response left to right). I only got 2 spring rates to start with. They seem soft, I think they compare to the blue as the soft and slightly softer than the blacks as the harder ones. I think I will start with the harder strings all around for my first test. The old springs will not fit.

I am very picky with how my shocks feel, so these did take me a little more time to build, especially since I am not used to the shock body's. Be patient on your first time with the bladder and the body. After I got them build they feel pretty good. I do feel like the shock action without the spring is smoother on these shocks. I will try to do some good testing at the KO race, but with running 2 classes and preparing for the Nationals, sometimes the time just fly's by.

One thing for sure, they are a lot lower than before.........

DJ.

Did you manage to do any more testing on these?
Are you planning to use them at the Byrons race?
Will you be able to get to the Byrons on Friday to test/ Practice?

Sorry for all the questions sir but you are the "Driver Guru" on these

Thanks

British Menace
Old 06-07-2013, 06:30 AM   #274
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
Hey DJ,

You posted this a while back ........ concerning the new "Big-Bore Shocks",

Okay,

So I built the shock this weekend just trying to be prepared for next week. In terms of travel they have plenty so there should be no worries with a track that is bumpy versus flat. Performance we will have to see. I would think that on bumpy track they will be as good if not better based on how my shock felt. The hole in the piston is larger than the standard one, which I like. Instead of 50-55 wt I built them with 60 for the larger hole piston. I also used 1 hole front and 2 rear, as that is what I always run as a standard (better response left to right). I only got 2 spring rates to start with. They seem soft, I think they compare to the blue as the soft and slightly softer than the blacks as the harder ones. I think I will start with the harder strings all around for my first test. The old springs will not fit.

I am very picky with how my shocks feel, so these did take me a little more time to build, especially since I am not used to the shock body's. Be patient on your first time with the bladder and the body. After I got them build they feel pretty good. I do feel like the shock action without the spring is smoother on these shocks. I will try to do some good testing at the KO race, but with running 2 classes and preparing for the Nationals, sometimes the time just fly's by.

One thing for sure, they are a lot lower than before.........

DJ.

Did you manage to do any more testing on these?
Are you planning to use them at the Byrons race?
Will you be able to get to the Byrons on Friday to test/ Practice?

Sorry for all the questions sir but you are the "Driver Guru" on these

Thanks

British Menace
I have not done any running since the Ko Race and the Byrons will be my first chance again to run. I will definitely be trying them there. I was waiting for more springs, as the one sent to me originally were way to soft. I have gotten some more springs and I thing they will work good. I will start with my car normal to get a baseline and then will try the new shocks.

I am running both classes so my time for testing will be limited. I will focus though on the Sedan as I think my 1/8 scale will be pretty easy to get going using the Quals to make changes.

Questions, I have only been there once, which was last year and can not remember. Do they run 10 minute quals?

I get there Friday around noon I think, with Kenny. If I am the "Driver Guru", we are all in trouble. LOL

DJ Apolaro
Old 06-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #275
Tech Elite

Thats a good question on the qualifiers DJ ....... I didn't go last year so not sure but I think they are 10 mins.
I'm planning on getting there early Friday ...... I need the practice :-). Plus I want to test out these new shocks also.
I only have the springs which came in the kit.... are there stiffer ones available now DJ?

BM
Old 06-07-2013, 06:56 AM   #276
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thats a good question on the qualifiers DJ ....... I didn't go last year so not sure but I think they are 10 mins.
I'm planning on getting there early Friday ...... I need the practice :-). Plus I want to test out these new shocks also.
I only have the springs which came in the kit.... are there stiffer ones available now DJ?

BM
Not sure what comes in the kit, since I got mine before that and am getting stuff as it comes. I know the stiffer stuff I got says 1.7 and 1.8. What do you have?

DJ Apolaro
Old 06-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #277
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj apolaro View Post
Not sure what comes in the kit, since I got mine before that and am getting stuff as it comes. I know the stiffer stuff I got says 1.7 and 1.8. What do you have?

DJ Apolaro
Mine are 1.6 but they are two springs strengths at 1.6 ( 2.8 and 3.6 it's I believe) I have the stiffer of the two but if the new ones are 1.7 and 1.8 they sound as though they are stiffer.

BM
Old 06-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #278
Tech Elite

Quote:
Mine are 1.6 but they are two springs strengths at 1.6 ( 2.8 and 3.6 it's I believe) I have the stiffer of the two but if the new ones are 1.7 and 1.8 they sound as though they are stiffer.

BM
They are all new so it hard to say, but I would think the 1.7 or 1.8 are harder, just based on common sense. There are a few options and with the shock being a whole new thing, I would think you need all the options to try and see what works.

We will see at the Byron's what works best. Once I find what I like then it will be easier, since I really do not need to change my car much from track to track. I just need to find whats work for the new shock settings.

DJ Apolaro
Old 06-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #279
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

If it is the same as last year the quals are 10 minutes.

Pass you soon...
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #280
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
They are all new so it hard to say, but I would think the 1.7 or 1.8 are harder, just based on common sense.

DJ Apolaro
That's what I also would have assumed; but the chart in the file attachment below seems to indicate that number of coils have a much bigger impact to spring stiffness than wire size, with the shorter big bore springs.

Quote:
There are a few options and with the shock being a whole new thing, I would think you need all the options to try and see what works.

We will see at the Byron's what works best. Once I find what I like then it will be easier, since I really do not need to change my car much from track to track. I just need to find whats work for the new shock settings.

DJ Apolaro
That should sort it out. We intend to do the same (except for Byron).

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Capricorn Big Bore Spring Chart.pdf (71.4 KB, 178 views)
Old 06-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #281
Tech Elite

Quote:
They are all new so it hard to say, but I would think the 1.7 or 1.8 are harder, just based on common sense. There are a few options and with the shock being a whole new thing, I would think you need all the options to try and see what works.

DJ Apolaro
Looks as though we will need to see on these big-bore springs. Looks as the a couple of the 1.7 springs are softer then the 1.6 kit ones as Lars pointed out. ...... they have a set of 1.5 springs which are stiffer then both?!

Will we still be able to use the shock extentions / stays at the rear with the new damper sets DJ?

BM
Old 06-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #282
Tech Elite

Quote:
Looks as though we will need to see on these big-bore springs. Looks as the a couple of the 1.7 springs are softer then the 1.6 kit ones as Lars pointed out. ...... they have a set of 1.5 springs which are stiffer then both?!

Will we still be able to use the shock extentions / stays at the rear with the new damper sets DJ?

BM

I printed the chart last night and i am going to have to carry it till i learn it completely. When i tested them before the shocks are not long enough. So i used longer end caps to make it work. I did not have medium ones so i used the really long ones and cut them to the size i wanted.

Maybe with the towers being lower now, the extensions are not as important. Need to test and see the angles with and without.

Dj Apolaro
Old 06-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #283
Tech Elite

Quote:
I printed the chart last night and i am going to have to carry it till i learn it completely. When i tested them before the shocks are not long enough. So i used longer end caps to make it work. I did not have medium ones so i used the really long ones and cut them to the size i wanted.

Maybe with the towers being lower now, the extensions are not as important. Need to test and see the angles with and without.

Dj Apolaro
I understand.... thank you.

BM
Old 06-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #284
Tech Adept

The load expressed in table is referred to a 7mm usage arrow that for us is the effective spring usage on shock.

The maximum load expressed on table is referred to a 7mm spring compression.

Same load but different wire diameter and turns number, give a different response on model.
CapricornRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #285
Tech Elite

DJ .... you've probably been asked this a thousand times so excuse the repetition here but ........
Do you have your base set up posted anywhere?
I expected to see it on the Capricorn site but I could only find Tironi's........

BM