R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #241
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1evo RRR Driver View Post
The complete kit is on the capricorn site $141.00 Complete low profile shocks/towers. And guess what color the whole package is hhmmmmmm Wonder if I had something to do with that
Now that looks a cool ride.
Could the new shocks be black by any chance??

Just to satisfy curiosity here ..... whats the bore size on the new shocks? Anyone know? ...... and the length? Are they alot shorter/ bigger?

Thanks in advance ....

BM
Old 05-09-2013, 01:49 AM   #242
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to 1evo RRR Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
Now that looks a cool ride.
Could the new shocks be black by any chance??

Just to satisfy curiosity here ..... whats the bore size on the new shocks? Anyone know? ...... and the length? Are they alot shorter/ bigger?

Thanks in advance ....

BM
Thanks menace......thats my blacked out WC, yeah the new shocks r black! I don't have the big bore setup yet so can't help with the measurements, sorry. But I think 6mm shorter n not sure how big around......
Old 05-09-2013, 06:25 AM   #243
Tech Elite

Interesting ..... may have to get me a set to try. I see they have some option springs for them too.......

There goes the Piggy-bank again

BM
Old 05-09-2013, 06:34 AM   #244
Tech Elite

Quote:
Interesting ..... may have to get me a set to try. I see they have some option springs for them too.......

There goes the Piggy-bank again

BM
Lol.....Yeah me n a couple of race buddies were going to get the bigbore setups for the ko race in LA but we noticed that there coming with 6hole piston, wasn't sure what weight oils we would need, so we passed until we get back n have time to do some testing........
Old 05-09-2013, 07:00 AM   #245
Tech Elite

Quote:
Lol.....Yeah me n a couple of race buddies were going to get the bigbore setups for the ko race in LA but we noticed that there coming with 6hole piston, wasn't sure what weight oils we would need, so we passed until we get back n have time to do some testing........
Six hole pistons huh!? ..... not a bad thing at all. More flow etc. But I agree .... need to test it out first. What do you run now .... the two hole?

I generally like to run very stiff on oil but it does make for a nervous car when you hit any bumps.

I'm looking at going to the Byrons race this year at Joliet, IL. If I do get the Big-Bore kit, it means some hasty testing ahead.

More wheel time ..... can't complain. I really need it !!!!!

BM
Old 05-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #246
Tech Regular

New shock sets are on the way. We should have them early next week.
desotoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #247
Tech Elite

Quote:
Six hole pistons huh!? ..... not a bad thing at all. More flow etc. But I agree .... need to test it out first. What do you run now .... the two hole?

I generally like to run very stiff on oil but it does make for a nervous car when you hit any bumps.

I'm looking at going to the Byrons race this year at Joliet, IL. If I do get the Big-Bore kit, it means some hasty testing ahead.

More wheel time ..... can't complain. I really need it !!!!!

BM
Yeah we are all running tweaked DJ apolaro setups, I'm currently running 2hole 60w with the rear shock extenders and short camber link,inside hole on knuckle and (2) pill...inside middle on the bulkhead, other buddies 1hole piston 50w, i may go up on oil cause of the heat......

Last edited by 1evo RRR Driver; 05-09-2013 at 04:13 PM.
1evo RRR Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #248
Tech Elite

Default Capricorn oil????

Quick question, Capricorn oils is 60 actually 600cst? or 60w?
Old 05-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #249
Tech Elite

Quote:
Quick question, Capricorn oils is 60 actually 600cst? or 60w?
I do believe Capricorn 60 is 600 CST ......

BM
Old 05-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #250
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Personally does anyone think if these big bore shocks will actually make the car more consistent in low grip condition or will the car (gain more corner speed which my car is lacking). Compared to a serpent 747

Cause at my track grip levels are low in the morning and my car is very inconsistent in the morning and when grip levels come up is a great and fast car to drive.\

Yes i know the shocks are new but maybe anyone xray drivers that are reading the thread might be able to help.

Western Sydney Race Centre
ARC R10 | Orca | Ride
BBQboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:36 AM   #251
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQboy View Post
Personally does anyone think if these big bore shocks will actually make the car more consistent in low grip condition or will the car (gain more corner speed which my car is lacking). Compared to a serpent 747

Cause at my track grip levels are low in the morning and my car is very inconsistent in the morning and when grip levels come up is a great and fast car to drive.\

Yes i know the shocks are new but maybe anyone xray drivers that are reading the thread might be able to help.
It might just b the low grip situation, I think the cap needs high grip to show what it can do.... I was told by a good driver who drove Xray also, said in low grip the Xray was as good or better, but when grip is up the cap has the edge!
Old 05-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #252
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
It might just b the low grip situation, I think the cap needs high grip to show what it can do.... I was told by a good driver who drove Xray also, said in low grip the Xray was as good or better, but when grip is up the cap has the edge!
Maybe go with the big bore shocks in low grip then change to standard when the grip comes up. But we should see what the team drivers think?

Western Sydney Race Centre
ARC R10 | Orca | Ride
BBQboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:44 AM   #253
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQboy View Post
Maybe go with the big bore shocks in low grip then change to standard when the grip comes up. But we should see what the team drivers think?
Haven't tested it yet, but I think the opposite will be true. Big bore shocks have lower cg and less travel therefor probably better on highbite. I'm sure both setups will be able to tune oil, springs and pistons to all track conditions.
POWER MASTER Fuel,
Protoform Bodies, Avid Bearings

Last edited by YBSLOW; 05-13-2013 at 07:01 AM. Reason: sp
YBSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #254
Tech Elite

Default BIG-BORE Shocks

yes. Looking at their site, Capricorn offer a range of pistons with varying hole numbers (1 to 8), springs and all parts as spares....

http://www.capricornrc.com/capricorn...d_category=197

BM
Old 05-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #255
Tech Elite

Okay,

So I built the shock this weekend just trying to be prepared for next week. In terms of travel they have plenty so there should be no worries with a track that is bumpy versus flat. Performance we will have to see. I would think that on bumpy track they will be as good if not better based on how my shock felt. The hole in the piston is larger than the standard one, which I like. Instead of 50-55 wt I built them with 60 for the larger hole piston. I also used 1 hole front and 2 rear, as that is what I always run as a standard (better response left to right). I only got 2 spring rates to start with. They seem soft, I think they compare to the blue as the soft and slightly softer than the blacks as the harder ones. I think I will start with the harder strings all around for my first test. The old springs will not fit.

I am very picky with how my shocks feel, so these did take me a little more time to build, especially since I am not used to the shock body's. Be patient on your first time with the bladder and the body. After I got them build they feel pretty good. I do feel like the shock action without the spring is smoother on these shocks. I will try to do some good testing at the KO race, but with running 2 classes and preparing for the Nationals, sometimes the time just fly's by.

One thing for sure, they are a lot lower than before.........

DJ.