Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Best way to learn this sport? >

Best way to learn this sport?

Best way to learn this sport?

Old 09-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Best way to learn this sport?

Hey guys,

I'm new here but have been interested in Nitro cars for years. I've watched several races when I happen to run across them in my daily travels. My wife would get pissed at me because I would insist on staying and watching the race I had just found.

I want to be more than the occasional watcher, I'd like to get a car and see if I can keep up with you guys.

Not sure if I should start with electric, or just jump into the gas first. Don't have much experience with RC stuff, but I've been racing for 30 years now in real cars.

What is the best way to get started in this hobby? Where can I get the best deal on used stuff, and how do I know what is good and what is total junk?

I'll read my butt off if someone tells me where to go that will give me accurate info I can trust.

One more thing, it seems like this sport sorta dies in the winter, is that true? Is there not many indoor tracks, do the gas cars not race inside?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any info you might be able to give me.

Thanks!

Mm
Old 09-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Couple of things to consider,

1. Do you have a hobby shop in town
2. Is there racing in town
3. What do the local racers race

Go hang at the races and talk to them, they want you to race

If you are not sure you will like it, buy used its cheaper.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the reply.

I'm sorry about not telling you where I'm at, I thought it would show up next to my name? Anyway I'm in Portland, Oregon.

I know there are clubs here in town, I thought maybe I could do a bunch of reading online or something similar before I go and sound like an idiot at one of the clubs.

I'd like to buy a used car and play around with it, but I have no idea of what's good stuff and what's not? I'd like to buy race quality cars and parts, just maybe not the newest ones so as to save money starting out.

Thanks very much!

Mm
Old 09-18-2011, 07:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The guys who race locally answer the questions you want to ask often, and it wont be as stupid as the mistakes you will make if you dont ask.

The car that you buy will depend on what the local hobby shop carries parts for, telling you to purchase an XRAY (which I would) when the closest place to buy XRAY parts is 50 miles away ( I dont know, Im just saying)

Go hang at the races, you'll have fun and you can get all of your answers.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:20 PM
Tech Regular

^+1 go to local races. see if the hobby shop has indoor or outdoor nitro or electric buggy, truggy, short course. see what the most common brand used. check out the parts support in the shop. then go from there. if they race both nitro and electric i would start at electric. that is my opinion though i started in electric for 5 years bought a nitro, sold it a month later cause it was too much messing around for me to get the dang thing running right
Old 09-18-2011, 09:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Cool

Adding to what the others have suggested, go to the Northwest Racers section here on the RCtech forums and look for Rose City Scale Racers, Timezone Raceway Park and Timezone II threads respectivly. I live in Seattle but race at these venues every chance I get.

As for what to buy, there should be some decent deals to be had localy on either Xray, Mugen, or Kyosho, which are all well supported by either Tammies Hobbies (Beaverton, Or), or Timezone. Timezone II (indoor carpet track/hobbie shop in La Center, Wa) will be starting up the carpet season very soon as the outdoor season has pretty much ended, (with the possible exception of a 3 hour IGT enduro race @ Timezone Raceway Park in Battle Ground, Wa on Oct 15. The "Guy's" threaten to run this race "Rain or Shine"!)

Check these guys out, everyones very friendly and helpful....
Old 09-18-2011, 11:06 PM
Tech Lord

I have no sight on your financial status but be aware that as a first time experience the best equipment does not do a thing. Common sense is important to start this in a good way.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:58 PM
Tech Elite

Default Get into the crowd first...

If you really want a good insight and you have racing experience, why not offer your services as a pitman for a while. You'll get to learn the ins and outs, the expenses, the most common cars at your track and before you know it someone will offer you a drive and then a 2nd hand car to help you get started.

Dont be fooled, it's at least $2500 to get yourself setup and if you buy the wrong equipment, that skyrockets. From a 1:1 race perspective that's cheap for the performance we get.

Regarding electric or nitro is really a preference. Electric you spend on Electronics and batteries, the chassis are lighter and more nimble and the speed as fast if not faster.

With onroad nitro, it's the smell of racing fuel, the sound, the two speed gears, the pleasure or pain of engine tuning... yep, we're racing!

It's best to get into the crowd as others have mentioned, see what's available second hand and spare the $$ for your own new engines/motors and buy wisely with a mindset of who else can spare you a belt or wheel hub on the day. Dont skimp on servos or radio gear and leave some room for the wife and some shoe shopping otherwise you'll get your ear chewed off!
Old 09-19-2011, 09:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default VRC?

VRC pro is also a great way to sharpen your driving. Does not cost that much and can give you a taste of how different car types drive. Most of the top racers at my club are part of a local VRC club. It can be a great tool to learn lines without breaking any real parts.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:17 AM
Tech Rookie

That sounds like some good advice from everyone!
Thank you.

I will go to the next race in Battleground and see who's there and what I can learn from watching and listening.

I'm not sure if I want to go electric or Nitro, However, I do love the smell and sound of the gas powered cars!

This sounds like it could be an expensive hobby, my wife isn't going to like it very much. I'll have to get her something nice when she complains.

Thanks very much!

Mm
Old 09-19-2011, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If this is new to you i wouldnt get a gas car. They are not friendly to learn rc on. Expensive to run and fix. I know
My ntc3 is old but im Always messing with it. Even when it goes well im fixing or changing something.
Id run a carpet season then come outdoor season you should be able to handle one.

I might ditch it and run wgt.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Come on up to TZII this Thursday night or this next Sunday we are there getting ready for the big carpet race in vegas in October. we will be starting the indoor season for thursday nights, as soon as we get back. we run every Thurs, and also (1) sat a month, plus sunday practice days, and have (2) Big races on the schedule this year.

We have a lot of great helpful guys at the track and plenty of decent deals on guys selling their used equipment where you can expect to get very competitive equipment just a season or so old, no shortage of guys selling their elec 10th scale touing cars for 200 to $300 bucks, usulally with tons of spare parts.

probably no new news to you but with the rain we get up here in the NW it seems like the indoor carpet racing is a great way to kill time during the LONG wet season...

Stop By and check it out

Mark
TZR
Old 09-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Tech Initiate

i have 2 cars for sale.. they are still in great condition, just need to dust them

2 HPI Racing RC Cars (gas). One is the regular size and the other is the bigger, super, size.

2 Speed transmission, light flywheel, brakes, suspension, frame/carbon fiber, exhausts, engine (novarossi engine and an O.S Max engine), air filter, and many more! Everything is in working order just need a little dusting.

Everything you need to get it going (except gas). 2 igniter plugs, flywheel starter for the bigger car (regular car is a pull start but can use the flywheel starter too).

3 bodies painted and never used. 1 Barely used (white) and 1 super BMW body brand new in wrapper.

1 set of slick wheels for the super car, never used.

Asking for $225 OBO, buyer will need to pay shipping. The flywheel starter is quite heavy).....
Old 09-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Tech Initiate

let me know if you are interested, im located in SoCal
Old 09-20-2011, 09:23 AM
46u
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I agree with the others and go to the local track and see what classes they are running. To me a good day of racing is starting and finishing anything else is a bonus. Main thing is have fun.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.