Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
the collari innotech xs 5 port turbo .12 >

the collari innotech xs 5 port turbo .12

the collari innotech xs 5 port turbo .12

Old 06-17-2002, 02:12 PM
Tech Addict

Better still just buy a nova rossi in the first place!!
Old 06-18-2002, 07:08 AM
Tech Addict

When you already have the Collari it doesnt make much since to buy a complete new engine just for a carb. But arent all the engines out basically NovaRossi's.
Old 06-18-2002, 02:52 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by BallPy
When you already have the Collari it doesnt make much since to buy a complete new engine just for a carb. But arent all the engines out basically NovaRossi's.
No collari and Novarossi are totally different most other "good" brands are Novarossi based or modified ie RB,JP etc but collari are there own design
Old 06-18-2002, 03:20 PM

A nova carb will run you about $45.00; I happened to have an extra; you could buy a used Nova on ebay for $60 and use the carb. I never even used the picco carb I just heard that they were crap. I have the 3 port and it has some serious ballz; I could pull just about anything down the straight at the Chicago Midwest Series race. I am not sure what exactly makes a Collari different because internally it looks just like and Ofna or Omega picco rear exhaust variant.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:03 PM
Hum
Tech Initiate

Thank you for all your suggestions. A new Nova Cab seems to be an easy way out. What I am wondering is, whether every Collari owner uses an alternative Cab, as I haven't seen many people raises problems yet. Even Richey thinks it is a good engine. I was expecting it to be my own tuning problem rather than the problem of the engine.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:05 PM
Hum
Tech Initiate

btw
when I say Cab.. I meant Carb
:-)
Old 06-18-2002, 07:16 PM

You could use either the Nova carb or an any OS carb with the robinson racing carb adapter. Truck guys do that alot to put an OS 10E rotary carb on a Nova/Picco because the stock rotary sux. I would just ask around the track and someones likely to have a spare one from an old Nova.
Old 06-20-2002, 07:29 AM
Hum
Tech Initiate

why is there a need for a carb adapter? The Nova Carb has a different diameter?

I have been to the Robinson racing website:
http://www.robinsonracing.com/

Cannot find any carb adapter, do you know where I can see one on the net?
Old 06-23-2002, 02:41 AM
Tech Adept

you only need the carb adaptor for the os one
Old 06-24-2002, 09:48 AM
TKT
Tech Initiate

Some Collari news from the McCoy race. Looks like during qualifying Collari engines were used by 2 of the 3 top qualifiers:

1st Barry Baker, NTC3 and Odonel OS
2nd Jeff Lewis, NTC3 and Collari XS12Rs
3rd Cameron Wagner, Reflex and XS12Rs

Interesting thing was the guys running teh Collari engines had box sotck motors and were pulling the fastes speeds down the straight. Lewis actualy passes Baker at one point like he was standing still. Also they were getting nearly 8min of run time on a tank. Jeff Lewis later went on to win the 40min A-main.
Old 06-27-2002, 07:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Default just outta curiosity

what other engines were raced? were there any JP's? RB's? Richey's??? OS TR's? Fantom's?
Old 07-10-2002, 09:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Collari tuning

Hey Hum, bring your Collari to Moorebank, complete with standard carby, buy novarossi 6 plug and I will tune it for you. Guarentee to haul ass just like mine. I was approached by the Collari importer around easter to try one of his engines and have been using one ever since. Its basically one of the fastest 3 ports around, come and see for yourself. Infact out of the box it is as quick as the JP mod novarossi. Its recently helped me win the club championship with several TQs and wins and will hopefully help me win another national title. Dont let the lesser experienced miss guide you. You are in the possesion of an engine that has been winning races at the most competitive club in Australia. If you dont know who I am Ask for Alex.k or look for flying pink car, glad to help!!!
PS DENNIS RITCHIE, what is your experience with your collaries, before and after mods. Do you run orig carbies, is there much difference. Which are your most quickest mod engines, do they all respond the same after they have gone under the grinder????
Old 07-11-2002, 11:20 PM
Tech Adept

I have a question for all the owners of the colari motor. I want to know if any of you have run it aginst a RB 5-port and can offer any insite. I don't want to know that you waisted it b/c I know they are just as fast but I do want to know if ther were any advantages the the Colari has over the RB or disadvantages. Top end, mid range, low end? I also was wondering if any of you guys have taken the motor apart and can tell me if when the piston drops to BDC if go's low enough to open the bottom ports? Can you see the opening of the 4th and 5th port? Thanks.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:14 AM

I don't know about the 5-port but I know the 3-port will pull a similar RB 3 port by 20 feet on a 200' straight. The disadvantage is that it's not as smooth as the RB and you almost nned the dual chamber pipe, and another disadvantage is the carb of the collaris, and also the unpredictable quality. I mean you better take the engine completely down and check every aspect of it before buying, or at least before putting fuel in it.