redsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 11:23 PM   #17
Tech Initiate
Default Re: Re: 1/10th or 1/8th

Originally posted by TitaniumR
Hi Ferdi,

I run both.
If choosing one, I'll go 1/8. Because:
1.Thrill/Tremendous Power - in my opinion, no other RC class matches that. The screaming engines down straights = F1s on smaller scale. 1/10 cannot deliver this.
2. Handling - Very stable(assuming car is done properly). Esp when you hit that "perfect" setup and being able to full throttle "everywhere", RC Nivarna!
3. Looks - Most 1/8 chassis looks awesome - Mugen/Serpent/Kyosho/SMP/Team Magic's "Vampire". Huge tires, broad chassis...Work of art!
I ran both because alternating between the two classes makes me appreciate each better.

As to fun factor - if you're running alone, I think 1/8 beats 1/10. but if you're the only 1/8 in a crowd of 1/10s, I would think 1/10 is the way to go. Fun depends also on the crowd around you.

Competition - Depends on where you are and you can tell from the activities....

What others here mentioned on 1/8 running cost is true. If you try to run 1/8 on an on like for 1/10s, they are far more expensive. On the track I ran, about 7 tanks(125cc each tank) to finish a set of fron and rear tires for 1/8. For 1/10s, thru 20 tanks or so(75cc each tank) tires can still go.

Because of the speed, 1/8 is more attention/energy zapping and I normally do not run it like a 1/10. So minimum impact on running cost.

Upgrades/parts replacement - 1/8 generally 20% more ex than 1/10.

Hope my input helps.
That was some usefull input!

Ferdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 09:49 AM   #18
Tech Master

Most people run 1/10th because of the cost. The tyres are 3 times that of 1/10th. I think this will change next year as I am seeing 1/8th cars for around $400 and engines for around $290.00 If this is the case i will try the 1/8th cars also

Dedicated RC Car Speed Site

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 10:03 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Originally posted by ziggy12345
Most people run 1/10th because of the cost. The tyres are 3 times that of 1/10th. I think this will change next year as I am seeing 1/8th cars for around $400 and engines for around $290.00 If this is the case i will try the 1/8th cars also

Plus a couple other things to take into account:-

Is there a track suitable for 1/8th nearby. It IS after all the "F1" of RC and to not have a top class track is a waste of time.

Secondly, how many people in your area are running 1/8th. It always help to have a few racers around.
http://3hobby.net REVISITED V2 - Its on steroids!
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 12:13 AM   #20
Tech Master
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I recently got a deal on a MRx3, and stepped into 8th scale after running 200mm and 235mm over the past 6 years. I've always watched the 8th scalers with envy, their power, handling, and speed. An 8th scaler will cost more to run, $37 a set for those huge tires, bodies are almost $30 instead of $20, each run burns 125cc's of fuel instead of 75cc's.

I also wouldn't suggest someone start out with an 8th scale, they are so fast, and you'll learn alot running TC's for awile, then work your way up to the bigger cars. The 8th scale is everthing you've learned about driving a gas car, plus a whole new bunch of styles and tactics.
I [I]AM [/I]the Driver !

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote