Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
CVD versus Dog Bones >

CVD versus Dog Bones

CVD versus Dog Bones

Old 07-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Losi jrx-s type R lcd's fit the Ntc3 without any mods, and are ten times stronger than the biggest AE/MIP cvd's !!! They are about 75mm from end to end, and have about 5mm axles . Just the vibration reduction alone will make them outlast cvd's! As I said before, losi makes other, stronger lcd drives for 8scale gas buggies/truggies that can easily handle more torque/power than any .21 engine can dish out !!! Retrofitting them to the 8scales is the only issue at this point... I have not tried retrofitting one yet because I do not run 8scale, but I bet it could easily be done......
Old 07-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Losi jrx-s type R lcd's fit the Ntc3 without any mods, and are ten times stronger than the biggest AE/MIP cvd's !!! They are about 75mm from end to end, and have about 5mm axles . Just the vibration reduction alone will make them outlast cvd's! As I said before, losi makes other, stronger lcd drives for 8scale gas buggies/truggies that can easily handle more torque/power than any .21 engine can dish out !!! Retrofitting them to the 8scales is the only issue at this point... I have not tried retrofitting one yet because I do not run 8scale, but I bet it could easily be done......
No one races a NTC3 seriously anymore. All the other cars use a bigger ball and pin. Anything for a 1/8th buggy is probably going to be way too long for an onroad car and might not fit the quick change axle.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tony Rice
Is there a difference? Some say you get more steering with CVD's. But how? Both do the same thing. Your not changing wheel speed. I have always run CVDs because that was the thing to run. But does it really make a difference?
Tony what I felt in Sedan from cvd's in the rear then going to dogbones
1 less rotating mass & felt the car rotate better sometimes over rotation when the bite came up really high

1/8th have not really felt it just cause were going so fast were dialing in the car for a lot of different reasons making it a little harder to pinpoint but maybe the same effect but others have told me more steering with cvd's
Old 07-07-2011, 08:00 AM
Tech Champion

I don't care what other people run, I run NTC3, and it's still legal to race one!!!! As for 8scale, you need to go to your machinist and let him find a way to make them fit !!! If you are not so inclined, then wait forever!!!! This hobby is really about building things, and if you can't build anything, keep pushing paper at the office!!!
Old 07-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Tech Lord

I don't care what other people run, I run NTC3, and it's still legal to race one!!!!
Good for you, it's still a good car but no one else runs one so no one is going to need a DCJ that fits it but you.

As for 8scale, you need to go to your machinist and let him find a way to make them fit !!! If you are not so inclined, then wait forever!!!! This hobby is really about building things, and if you can't build anything, keep pushing paper at the office!!!
If the shaft is too long (or too short for that matter), there is nothing ANY machinist can do to fix it. You would have to make one from scratch. If you are going to make one from scratch, what would you need the Losi unit for?
Old 07-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Tech Champion

Any good machinist can make the bone part of the dcj from scratch with the required length !!! You just need a good piece of steel to start with!!! If he owns a cnc machine, that will be quick work!!!...
Old 07-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

always found CVDs to hold up better.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Any good machinist can make the bone part of the dcj from scratch with the required length !!! You just need a good piece of steel to start with!!! If he owns a cnc machine, that will be quick work!!!...
And they will do it for free?
Old 07-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Tech Champion

If you want anything in life you have to pay for it !!! I should not have to remind you of that buddy !!!!!
Old 07-08-2011, 05:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If you want anything in life you have to pay for it !!! I should not have to remind you of that buddy !!!!!
Thats the point I was trying to make...
Old 07-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Tech Champion

Too many lazy people in this hobby!!! If what you want is not available yet, then get off the couch , and go make your own parts !!!
Old 07-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Tech Lord

Too many lazy people in this hobby!!! If what you want is not available yet, then get off the couch , and go make your own parts !!!
By all means. Which just confirms my whole point which was that the Losi LCDs are useless for our needs since you will have to make them from scratch anyway.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:34 AM
Tech Champion

You have no point! Just complaints !!!!!
Old 07-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Tech Lord

You have no point! Just complaints !!!!!
Really? What have I complained about? Everything I have stated is fact. If you don't think so, prove me wrong. Do you always get this worked up every time someone disagrees with you?
Old 07-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Tech Champion

Another complaint!!!!! Wow......... You have no solution to the problem!!! Lcd's provide a starting point to solve the problem, not endless complaints. I fitted lcd's in all my cars with a lot of grinding in some cases (m03), but no complaints !!! I only own shaft cars , and if there were a new 8scale shaft kit available, I would get it and find a way to fit lcd drives or any other good set of dcj's in the front, but again NO COMPLAINTS !!!!!!!!!!!!