Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 nitro maintanence

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 11:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default 1/8 nitro maintanence

hi , i really want to get a 1/8 scale nitro but my dad is worried about maintaining them and keeping them running is it really that hard to maintain them like some people say ,james
Old 07-13-2011, 03:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bigtree
hi , i really want to get a 1/8 scale nitro but my dad is worried about maintaining them and keeping them running is it really that hard to maintain them like some people say ,james
I think it all depends. Do you have any nitro experience? Tuning the motor can be difficult if you dont have patience and are new to it. You typically tune every time you are at the track, if not every time you run in order to find the "fast tune". These motors change tune with the weather/humidity/temp. Once you get the hang of it, its no big deal.

As for regular car maintenance it all depends on the person. There are some people I race with that are of the opinion if it aint Broke dont fix it (aka no reason to take it apart and clean it if it didnt break). I personally break my car completely down before mains if there is time and clean it. this allows me to find problems before they become real issues during a race that could take me out. After a race weekend it is also a good idea to tear the car down to clean it. A clean car is a happy car that finishes races. Once you take the car apart a few times, it becomes a pretty quick process.

Maintenance can be as much or as little as you want. Maintaining it is not to hard to do IMO. I would give it a shot. You will learn alot while having alot of fun. Good Luck Man
Old 07-13-2011, 04:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I am new to nitro too. So far the hardest part of being new is getting the motor running because its new. I recently brought a used car which was fine. Then I decided to get a new engine. The break in process for a newb is tough but with help will be less stressfull. They are easy to work on and pretty straight forward. My biggest regret is not buying it new because you learn the most about the car from building it yourself. My next car I wont make that mistake...lol. Now my engine is broken in and it starts at the drop of a dime. I still learning how to tune but it sounds alot harder then it is....you need a little patience. maintaining.....can you say air compressor, it will be your best friend. I dont mean that you will not have to breakdown your car but getting all the heavy stuff off first makes the task easier.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:58 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JJBinks
I think it all depends. Do you have any nitro experience? Tuning the motor can be difficult if you dont have patience and are new to it. You typically tune every time you are at the track, if not every time you run in order to find the "fast tune". These motors change tune with the weather/humidity/temp. Once you get the hang of it, its no big deal.

As for regular car maintenance it all depends on the person. There are some people I race with that are of the opinion if it aint Broke dont fix it (aka no reason to take it apart and clean it if it didnt break). I personally break my car completely down before mains if there is time and clean it. this allows me to find problems before they become real issues during a race that could take me out. After a race weekend it is also a good idea to tear the car down to clean it. A clean car is a happy car that finishes races. Once you take the car apart a few times, it becomes a pretty quick process.

Maintenance can be as much or as little as you want. Maintaining it is not to hard to do IMO. I would give it a shot. You will learn alot while having alot of fun. Good Luck Man
hi is tunning the engine hard
Old 07-14-2011, 01:29 AM
Tech Lord

hi is tunning the engine hard
It is a learning process, if you are willing to learn you can learn it all.
It is wise to drive with experienced people whou can tell you wat to do in what situation, otherwise youtube has a lot of learning articles as well.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:20 AM
Tech Elite

James, it all depends if you want to enjoy the maintenance of your model as part of the big picture of getting into RC. If you simply want to pull it out and drive then perhaps the electric path is more suited.

But... if you go Nitro...

Tell dad, once he's mastered a Nitro engine, he'll have the sweetest 'race tuned' whipper snipper in the street!!

Old 07-14-2011, 02:39 AM
Tech Adept

i enjoy my eletric models alot i like to pull them apart and clean them so its like the same thing with a nitro but my dad says there no where to race it but whalan and moore bank is only 50 min drive is there any other place closer to cherry brook/ castle hill
Old 07-14-2011, 05:41 AM
Tech Elite

i enjoy my eletric models alot i like to pull them apart and clean them so its like the same thing with a nitro but my dad says there no where to race it but whalan and moore bank is only 50 min drive is there any other place closer to cherry brook/ castle hill
then it's worth the drive out to Moorebank..

I'd probably want to start off in tourers though.. 1/8 on road is at the serious end of the performance scale.

Why no head out and ask the boys what's on offer.

And dad is correct.. a 1/8th onroad IC/Nitro can only be run on a CIRCUIT designed for them. Ive seen them get 3 metres of air ... And I'm keeping it real!
Old 07-14-2011, 06:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

bigtree come on down to moorebank one weekend and have a look for yourself and get a feel of the atmosphere with all the guys there, and feel free to ask any questions you want, there is a variety of makes and models that you can compare with 1/10 or 1/8 scale, and you can see on hand how engines are being tuned and as a matter of fact i will be running in a engine this sunday at moorebank, so then you can see what it is like on hand. this way you will get a idea and you will learn new tricks on how to do it. the hardest part for me in my opinion on running in a engine is the initial start up, they bloody things always lock up lol, nothing a hair drier can't fix.

anyway good luck with it and you and dad are always welcomed to our club any time

regards

Alex
Old 07-14-2011, 08:33 AM
Tech Champion

If you're new to nitro and not talking about the high-tech 1/8 Serpents and co, but more like a Kyosho Inferno GT2 or Ofna DM-1, follow my advice..: get a Losi 454 engine with closed backplate and a JP-4 pipe, some OS #8 and #10/A5 plugs, some Sidewinder %25 fuel, a Fioroni turbo slider clutch, and a temp gun. Break the engine in with the heat cycle method, monitor your temps, and have a blast. VERY LOW maintenance.. The SW fuel is good at prolonging the life of your engine. And as long as you don't suck dirt or totally thrash it or run it constantly over 300F, you'll be fine. Nitro is not NEARLY as high-maintenance as I thought it was at the beginning.. Just get a cheap engine to learn on. It really doesn't have to be high maintenance.. Honestly, I also really believe that lots of guys do more than is necessary, sometimes even screwing things up. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.. My SH(Losi, LRP, Mach, etc..) engines last forever and are VERY low maintenance - and low price.. That's why I like them..

If you're talking the high-tech 1/8 race machines, that's a different ball-game I think..

Last edited by Herrsavage; 07-14-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

If you're talking Inferno GTs or rally game type cars,(1/8 buggy based) then there's no problem getting to know how to run them if you're new.

If you're talking about 1/8 onroad circuit cars, Serpent 966, Mugen MRX4/5, etc, those engines are much more complicated.

Also the buggy type motors in the Inferno GTs have a greater margin for error than those used on the 1/8th onroad circuit cars. Tuning and setting up the 1/8 circuit cars require more precision and experience.

I have both types. My buggy based 1/8 GT is a fun all around car that uses "rubber" tires and I can ran almost anywhere there is tarmac. The motor in the 1/8GT is an inexpensive buggy type .21 motor with a Roto-start so starting is quite easy.

For 1/8 circuit onroad, the engines are much more expensive.(about 3-5times the cost of my buggy motor) They must be started using a "bump" starter box. They also use foam tires only which can not be used anywhere other than a properly prepared track. My Serpent 966 only comes out on track days and can never be used on the street in front of my home or any random parking lot like my 1/8GT.

I think it will be easier for you to convince your dad on a 1/8 GT. BTW, if he still doesn't want nitro, they make them in electric as well.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Tech Adept

Maintenance on a Nitro RC is not as bad is it may look. If you do not have access to a air compressor to blow off the dirt in all the tiny areas, get 2 brushes from home depot. One soft brissell and one hard brissel 2-3in brushes. Also buy yourself some cleaning putty and you can get your nitro car cleaned up in about 30min just from taking off the top desk and getting all the areas and oil/nitro off the chassis. Use after-run oil in the engine if you do not plan on running the car for more then a week. Remember these little things are actually machines the better you take care of it the longer they will last...

Cleaning putty: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ing-Putty-100g
Old 07-14-2011, 10:43 AM
Tech Champion

I don't know why SG stopped making 8scale shaft cars !!! They would have required the same maintenance as the GT cars : blow it off and you're good to go !!!! Belt drives are just too demanding!!! I have seen little rocks ruining a car just a few minutes after an hour breakdown ! The track must remain clean at all times, and even then who knows !!! I am sure manufacturers are loving the money they make off it . If you add the cost of tires to it, it's just not in the racer's advantage; I hope someone comes out with a 8scale shaft sooner rather than later.....
Old 07-14-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
I don't know why SG stopped making 8scale shaft cars !!! They would have required the same maintenance as the GT cars : blow it off and you're good to go !!!! Belt drives are just too demanding!!! I have seen little rocks ruining a car just a few minutes after an hour breakdown ! The track must remain clean at all times, and even then who knows !!! I am sure manufacturers are loving the money they make off it . If you add the cost of tires to it, it's just not in the racer's advantage; I hope someone comes out with a 8scale shaft sooner rather than later.....
Can't be to hard to make... could probably do it from scratch.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Tech Champion

It would just be a slightly smaller GT car with different foam tires......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.