Community
Wiki Posts
Search

brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Tech Addict

Default brakes

how do most people set up there brakes when car idle slight drag so when you coming into a turn as you let up off throttle the car slows down as you coming into the turn or do most set up with free rolling at idle and have to actually apply little brake when coming into a turn just asking some people i see racing car seem so controlled
Old 06-13-2011, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

No drag. You want to keep as much corner speed as possible. The corners are where the races are won and lost at.

Pass you soon...

Last edited by lil-bump; 06-13-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:06 AM
Tech Regular

I run drag brake and love it... Once the car is mechanically set-up, you can use those fancy radio's to adjust how much drag you like throughout the race.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I run no drag brake.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Tech Champion

no drag brakes
Old 06-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

No drag brake. Think about it, sometimes on some corners the car can make the corner without using brakes, you just have to let off the gas. WIth drag brake you kill corner speed. You can have the fastest motor there is, but the corners is where the races are won. Learn how to use the breaks, if you learn you will be faster. Im still learning!
Old 06-13-2011, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Why would you spend so much time to free up your drive train only to use drag brake. It kinda defeats the purpose????

Pass you soon...
Old 06-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lil-bump
Why would you spend so much time to free up your drive train only to use drag brake. It kinda defeats the purpose????

Pass you soon...
Exactly!

Brakes? Thats what traction is for
Old 06-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Tech Regular

For me, drag brakes add a couple of tenths to my laps (likely just my driving preference). But the drag allows me to stay on throttle longer and deeper into the corner, as I release throttle (go to neutral) it helps transfer weight "ever so slightly" to the front for turn-in and (I wouldn't really say "brake" as much as "drag") then back on the throttle for mid and exit.

I guess my thought is I'd rather be on the throttle or the brake, rather than more than in neutral coasting around corners. That coasting part is the tenth I'm talking about, for me.

Also, I haven't always used drag brake, it's only been for the last two years, and I simply find it makes me faster, and it's also track dependent (grip levels and corners)
Old 06-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

This past weekend in my last qual I had no brakes, which happen to be one of my fastest. It made me really focus on my driving. But I don't recommend it, lol luckily for most of the run no one was around me, so I didn't have to worry about avoiding them. It was good learning experience on how much I really need to focus on my car. It was great weekend
Old 06-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Robert R
This past weekend in my last qual I had no brakes, which happen to be one of my fastest. It made me really focus on my driving. But I don't recommend it, lol luckily for most of the run no one was around me, so I didn't have to worry about avoiding them. It was good learning experience on how much I really need to focus on my car. It was great weekend
You are just figuring out now to focus on your car
Old 06-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Good things take time, what's the rush
Old 06-14-2011, 02:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It depends, in a fast flow track, the least the faster, if you need to use brakes, it shouldn’t be jam brake type, should be progressive brake type. In a technical track, one must use lotsa brakes, aggressive drivers will charge-in with a tab of brake and dive into corners. It’s also depends a lot on individual’s driving skill and habits tho. My 2 cents worth.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Robert R
I did the same thing for a race LoL, I don't think I blinked once during the 45 mins